Confirmed Trade: [PHI/ARZ] Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen for Brendan Warren and 2018 5th

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Bellemare 82 games last year for 8 points.

Cousins 60 games last year for 16 points.

Just doesn't make sense to give up on 23 year young Cousins that has a potential to become a 30~40 point producer over keeping Bellemare who is 31 and isn't getting no more then 10 points in a season.

Yet Hakstok will play Bellemare in all 82 games next season for the Flyers, while Cousins ends up breaking out with Arizona for a 30-35 point season.

Cousins can do what Bellemare does plus more, but with expansion the Flyers were bound to lose Cousins or Laughton.
Hextall has to protect Laughton now, can't see Hextall being ok with losing two younger players in the span of a week.

Either Raffl, Read, Weise or Neuvirth is gonna end up in Vegas.

That's too linear a way to think of Cousins' value to the Flyers. Cousins wouldn't be scoring near to 30-35 points if he were playing Bellemare's exact minutes, since the faulty magic vision goggles Dave Hakstol must be wearing show him that Bellemare is a great PKer and late-game shutdown forward. Thus, Cousins would need to be compared against the player who would be playing the minutes for the spot for which Cousins would be competing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Thus, Cousins would need to be compared against the player who would be playing the minutes for the spot for which Cousins would be competing.

Which is Weal, who had 12 points in 23 games.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
They aren't going to pick him unless they can get him to sign during the window. Is the Vegas offer going to be more enticing than what he knows he can get from the Flyers?

Didn't know this. But Vegas does have the cap space and roster space to offer Weal more playing time and a higher spot in the lineup. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Didn't know this. But Vegas does have the cap space and roster space to offer Weal more playing time and a higher spot in the lineup. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I don't know if Vegas will have the roster space for Weal. They're probably going to have 2/3 of their top line filled by free agent signings from the KHL. I can see them getting 3 other wingers more proven than Weal. Neal, Killorn, and Zucker are possibilities.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don't know if Vegas will have the roster space for Weal. They're probably going to have 2/3 of their top line filled by free agent signings from the KHL. I can see them getting 3 other wingers more proven than Weal. Neal, Killorn, and Zucker are possibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised if VGK make the playoffs in the first year, that's if they can sign or trade for some decent scorers.

Vegas defense and Goaltending should be above average due to the availability of D-men and goaltenders available to them.

Cousins might have gotten some decent TOI in Vegas as a 3rd or 4th liner. Cousins will probably be more of a 4C with the Yotes.

phillyfan43

Jun 10, 2017
Now that Cousins is gone, could Hextall's plan be to protect Laughton?

Then the exposed players would be...
Read
Raffl
PEB
Weise
McDonald

probably Stolarz.

That would get another big contract off the books.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012
Now that Cousins is gone, could Hextall's plan be to protect Laughton?

Then the exposed players would be...
Read
Raffl
PEB
Weise
McDonald

probably Stolarz.

That would get another big contract off the books.

hope he trades Laughton and protects Bellemare leaving Macdonald Weiss Raffl or Read or Stolarz

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Yeh, and Weal knows that if he re-ups with the Flyers he will have a chance to play on Giroux's wing with Simmonds on the other side. Which was where he was most this season.

He will not have a shot at playing with such good players in Vegas.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Not a good deal for us, but it's such small pieces involved I'm not mad.

Good pick-up by AZ, I like Cousins. He's a good bottom 6 and a good agitator. Hope he's successful over there.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Are the Yotes going 7-3-1 instead of 8-1?

Or who gets exposed instead of Cousins?

I thought they would go with:

Rieder, Martinook, Burmistrov, Duclair, Ekman-Larsson, Goligoski, Murphy, Schenn, Domingue (assuming Smith gets traded).

Skipping Schenn to protect three more forwards?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Jordan Weal will probably end up taking the 7th protection spot, if the Flyers resign him before ED, if not then Laughton takes the 7th spot.

Cousins is protected by Arizona taking there 7th spot.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are the Yotes going 7-3-1 instead of 8-1?

Or who gets exposed instead of Cousins?

I thought they would go with:

Rieder, Martinook, Burmistrov, Duclair, Ekman-Larsson, Goligoski, Murphy, Schenn, Domingue (assuming Smith gets traded).

Skipping Schenn to protect three more forwards?

Burmistrov will be exposed.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Since Cousins is a coyote now, I tried to make a decent lineup for Arizona with Cousins in it.

Line 1 LW Domi C Dvorak RW Duclair
Line 2 LW Perlini C Keller RW Rieder
Line 3 LW Martinook C Burmistrov RW Fischer
Line 4 LW Crouse C Cousins RW Doan

1st Pair LD Ekman-Larsson RD Schenn
2nd Pair LD Goligoski RD Murphy
3rd Pair LD Chychrun RD DeAngelo

Goalie's:
Starter: ?
Backup: Domingue

Scratched List
C Dauphin
LW McGinn
LD Connauton

RW-C Richardson picked by Vegas in Expansion draft.
-------------------------
C Strome ~ AHL
LW Pulkkinen ~ RFA tendered offer -waived to AHL
C Holland ~ RFA not tendered offer
RW Vrbata ~ UFA
RD Michalek ~ UFA
G Johnson ~ UFA
C Bolland + LTIR

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Why would Philly do this? Makes no sense.

It's basically Cousins for free.

Heading into next season Cousins is likely ~15-16th on the Flyers depth chart - and he is waiver eligible - he has no real spot on the roster logically and would be claimed if sent down.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Konecny
Filppula
Weal
Patrick/Hischier
Raffl
Weise
Read
Bellemare
Lindblom
Laughton

Will all likely be ahead of him (though 1 will be in Vegas - Likely Raffl) - and Vecchione will be fighting for spot too.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Heading into next season Cousins is likely ~15-16th on the Flyers depth chart - and he is waiver eligible - he has no real spot on the roster logically and would be claimed if sent down.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Konecny
Filppula
Weal
Patrick/Hischier
Raffl
Weise
Read
Bellemare
Lindblom
Laughton

Will all likely be ahead of him (though 1 will be in Vegas - Likely Raffl) - and Vecchione will be fighting for spot too.

They could still have gotten like a 3rd for him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
They could still have gotten like a 3rd for him.

They might have but Hexy agreed to the 5th 2018 and U of Michigan product LW Brendan Warren.

Atleast philly was able to get something for Cousins, instead of losing him to Vegas for nothing, philly didn't have room to protect Nick and was probably the target for Vegas to draft so Hextall made the trade. Cousins should get more ice time with Arizona.

Arizona protected Cousins and John Chayka saw an opportunity to get Cousins on the cheap so he took it.
Chayka is an advanced stats guy so that's another reason why he went after Cousins. Cousins should have a decent season with the right linemates and ice time. He could be good for 25 points next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad