Confirmed Trade: [PHI/ARZ] Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen for Brendan Warren and 2018 5th

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Pick appears to be for 2018.
I dont believe people are so upset about this deal. Slow days of Summer.

Seriously. I can't believe a Nick Cousins trade has gotten 8 pages.
He is an AHL call up. He'll be a guy that lights up the AHL and can hold the fort on the big club if a rash of injuries hit but I don't see him as a serious NHLer on a good team, anyway.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Wtf Madsen and Cousins for a 5th and a forward prospect who only scored 3 goals last year at Michigan?

This trade is about as bad as the hartnell trade. Still waiting for Hextall to make a good one

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This trade is about as bad as the hartnell trade. Still waiting for Hextall to make a good one

Huh??

Hextall got a:
3rd for Rinaldo
3rd for McGinn
3rd + Weal for Vinny and Schenn

And fwiw, Philly still has Vorobyov and Salinitri from the Hartnell trade. Vorobyov has upside.

With expansion, not many teams were going to trade for depth players. In AZ, Cousins gets protected. On lots of teams like Philly, he gets exposed.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Meh. Unlikely to be relevant. Hope cousins turns into an nhl regular for the Coyotes. I think the Yotes got the better end of the deal bUT the flyers depth at those positions don't give them a chance in Philly.

I'm not going trash Cousins and Madsen's values as some are just because of sour grapes on losing this trade. I'm sure it was the best deal available for Hextall for 2 guys not in his plans.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe the Flyers have some luck with the 5th round.

2016 Hogberg expected to make WJC this coming year. Played in SHL this year as a 18 year old Dman
2015 Kase 3 time WJC player joining the SHL this year
2014 Lindblom 2 time WJC player named SHL forward of the year. Joining Philly this coming year

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Huh??

Hextall got a:
3rd for Rinaldo
3rd for McGinn
3rd + Weal for Vinny and Schenn

And fwiw, Philly still has Vorobyov and Salinitri from the Hartnell trade. Vorobyov has upside.

With expansion, not many teams were going to trade for depth players. In AZ, Cousins gets protected. On lots of teams like Philly, he gets exposed.

I'll add Colburn to the Lightning for a 1st, 3rd and Gudas as a steal.

Timmo for two seconds was a pretty good return, considering....

I also thought the Streit for Filippula 4th round pick and a conditional 7th in the 2017 draft was a very good return.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Good move from Arizona to add some quality and much needed depth to their Amateur Goalie System. Merrick Madsen is pretty much an upgrade on the whole goalie pipeline they have there. Slightly risky in that Madsen could go UFA if he really wants to but Arizona is such a great opportunity to move up the goalie depth chart that it'd make sense to sign there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good move from Arizona to add some quality and much needed depth to their Amateur Goalie System. Merrick Madsen is pretty much an upgrade on the whole goalie pipeline they have there. Slightly risky in that Madsen could go UFA if he really wants to but Arizona is such a great opportunity to move up the goalie depth chart that it'd make sense to sign there.

Yeah he seems to have a much better chance with AZ.

In Philly, he is blocked by Stolarz, Lyon, Hart and Sandstrom. So he goes from 5th best G prospect to a top one in AZ.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I'll add Colburn to the Lightning for a 1st, 3rd and Gudas as a steal.

Timmo for two seconds was a pretty good return, considering....

I also thought the Streit for Filippula 4th round pick and a conditional 7th in the 2017 draft was a very good return.

Getting something for Cousins and Madsen is better than nothing. Warren can skate so as he fills out he might turn into a bottom sixer someday.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah he seems to have a much better chance with AZ.

In Philly, he is blocked by Stolarz, Lyon, Hart and Sandstrom. So he goes from 5th best G prospect to a top one in AZ.

Interesting, considering the Yotes just signed Hunter Miska about a month ago. Where would you slot Madsen in the Yotes pipeline?

Louis Domingue
Adin Hill
Marek Langhamer
Hunter Miska

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting Arizona picks up a goalie, guess they need some more goalies in the pipeline for when they get rid of Mike Smith.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Huh? We are talking about Nick Cousins not some superstar. I like Nick but I sure as hell am not going to lose any sleep over him leaving. Hopefully this opens a spot for Scott Laughton who I like way more than Nick.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Cousins is a fringe NHLer and the Flyers have more guys that they would rather roster. Madsen could be good, but philly's goalie depth in terms of prospects is crazy and he would never ever get a chance based on that.

Really just a meh trade, scraps for either team. Philly is just starting to trim the fat from their roster and the Coyotes need whatever depth they can get.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
cousins draws so many penalties and has a nose for the puck. He is lacking talent though which is why he couldn't lock up a spot for the flyers. Coyote fans will like him and opposing teams will punch him in the face and slash him every game.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Interesting Arizona picks up a goalie, guess they need some more goalies in the pipeline for when they get rid of Mike Smith.
Honestly feels like two teams shuffling spare parts. PHI have a ton of goalies in the system, they can spare one. Cousins is a 4th liner. Warren is a so-so prospect who was drafted by the last GM.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Atleast Arizona seems to see Cousins as a center. Nick is probably going to end up as Arizona's 4C.

LW Crouse C Cousins RW Duclair would look like a decent young line with energy.

Is Martinook a center or a wing. If Strome and Keller make the yotes in training camp it could possibly push Cousins to LW.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Arz wins this trade imo. They sold low on Cousins. His first year and played out of position. His adv stats look promising too. Chakya wins another one.

He got moved to wing because he was terrible on faceoffs, and is undersized. He's more likely to be a wing than a center going forward.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Atleast Arizona seems to see Cousins as a center. Nick is probably going to end up as Arizona's 4C.

LW Crouse C Cousins RW Duclair would look like a decent young line with energy.

Is Martinook a center or a wing. If Strome and Keller make the yotes in training camp it could possibly push Cousins to LW.

We prefer Martinook as LW. Maybe we figure VGK will take Richardson? Maybe we see Richardson as a 3C rather than a 4C, which is nucking futs but maybe.

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Cousins-Fischer

:dunno:?

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Vrbata
Nook-Richardson-Rieder
Crouse-Cousins-Doan

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
We prefer Martinook as LW. Maybe we figure VGK will take Richardson? Maybe we see Richardson as a 3C rather than a 4C, which is nucking futs but maybe.

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Cousins-Fischer

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Vrbata
Nook-Richardson-Rieder
Crouse-Cousins-Doan

Cousins with Martinook, Fischer, Crouse or Doan is much better then being stuck on Bellemare's wing.
Nick should have more opportunities and TOI to score more points with Arizona next season.
Cousins might be good for 25 points next season if he gets TOI.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weal is getting picked if Vegas has any semblance of a brain.

They aren't going to pick him unless they can get him to sign during the window. Is the Vegas offer going to be more enticing than what he knows he can get from the Flyers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad