Confirmed Trade: [PHI/ARZ] Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen for Brendan Warren and 2018 5th

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And why would they do that when they could just take a forward like Read or Raffl? Or Laughton or Leier.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
We offer them a 2nd???

IDK, I personally wouldn't do it but maybe he thinks we should.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
That's not possible when you have to expose at least two 40/70 forwards out of Read, Weise, Raffl and Bellemare. Those aren't bad enough contracts to worry McPhee.

If Hextall feels like losing one of them makes him win in some way...

Guess he'd have to lose somebody else than Bellemare though.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
LWs:
Domi
Perlini
Rieder
Martinook
Crouse
Cousins

What the hell is the point? I really like Cousins. Cross my heart, I think he's a really fun player and I enjoy his game a lot. But why does AZ need another LW?

Why does Philly give him away for basically nothing? Shouldn't Vegas be happy to have him? Why not pay Vegas to take him? That's win-win. :dunno:

Cousins was drafted as a Centre and played center for about 5 games at the beginning of the season, but was moved to LW.
Cousins is a natural Center played wing under Hakstok
Bellemare is better suited as a wing but was played as a center
Laughton if he makes the roster and isn't in the pressbox will probably be a 4C when Laughton is better suited to be LW.
Voracek should be LW not RW
Konecny should be RW not LW
Schenn should always stay at RW never as C
And so on and so forth......

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
VGK has to take Stolarz or Neuvrith. There is no other choice.

No they don't. Fleury is going to be their starting goalie and they'll likely have a better backup option than Neuvrith especially if they take a goalie another team wants to dump and can get a 2nd out of it.

Remember, they are selecting 30 players, only 23 can be on their NHL roster so they'll have to pick at least 7 guys that they expect to play and "develop" in the AHL. They could take a guy from the Phantoms and see if he "develops" in a few years

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Stolarz very likely gets protected. While one of Raffl, Laughton, Read, or Weise should be available. Manning or MacDonald on the backend. Essentially you're not getting a ton of great choices out of the Flyers but forward probably will be the best route to go there for LV.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Stolarz very likely gets protected. While one of Raffl, Laughton, Read, or Weise should be available. Manning or MacDonald on the backend. Essentially you're not getting a ton of great choices out of the Flyers but forward probably will be the best route to go there for LV.

Leier and Laughton are likely to be available.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Leier and Laughton are likely to be available.

I mentioned Laughton. I didn't mention Leier because I doubt he'd really be in consideration by LV. He's not a lock to make it to the NHL & would have to clear waivers next year if not on an NHL roster. He's not a guy who offers much upside even if he does make it. With what else could be avaible there's better bets to fill the roster for LV.

If he's with the Flyers next year there's a fair chance he's on waivers in October so LV would likely get another chance at him if they wanted to.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Brendan Warren is playing at Michigan with another Flyers prospect Cooper Marody.

Don't know much about this Warren fellow but from reading a few things about Warren he looks like a long term development player.
Could be a decent 3rd or 4th line LW also on the PK if he hits his full potential.

Cousins was a 3rd rounder in 2011 that the Flyers spent 5 seasons developing and ended up trading Nick after his first full season.
Warren was a 3rd in 2015 so the Flyers get a player earlier in development that they must have seen something in to give up Cousins (NHL) and Madsen (NCAA) for an unknown to Flyers fans
Its to early to say if Warren could make the NHL someday probably wouldn't be till 3-4 years down the road.

Hextall might see Brendan Warren as one of those deep diamonds in the rough...

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I haven't kept track of who LV will likely pick, but is Del Zotto not considered a guy that they might go after?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

Not for sure. They will have their pick of a lot of decent/good goalies including Neuvirth, Ullmark, possibly Raanta, Pickard, Broissoit, and on and on an on. There are a lot of very good tandem goalies that will be at their disposal.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Hopefully Vegas just takes Read, Raffl, or Weise.

this is exactly what I think Hextall is trying to encourage with this little chess board manouvre. Cousins is no longer available to be selected. It's unlikely Weise or Read, 2 players I think the Flyers would be happy to recoup cap from, get selected by LV. Or god forbid, AMac. But since Cousins was probably on the outside looking in in Philly, AND he was a viable candidate for LV to select...well, that move is no longer available for George, and Weise or Read are that bit closer to being pushed out of the nest.

Weal is a likely LV target , except for the propaganda Flyers have put out that they've agreed to term already with him, trying to scare LV off! Ron, working the angles!

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Arz wins this trade imo. They sold low on Cousins. His first year and played out of position. His adv stats look promising too. Chakya wins another one.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
this is exactly what I think Hextall is trying to encourage with this little chess board manouvre. Cousins is no longer available to be selected. It's unlikely Weise or Read, 2 players I think the Flyers would be happy to recoup cap from, get selected by LV. Or god forbid, AMac. But since Cousins was probably on the outside looking in in Philly, AND he was a viable candidate for LV to select...well, that move is no longer available for George, and Weise or Read are that bit closer to being pushed out of the nest.

Weal is a likely LV target , except for the propaganda Flyers have put out that they've agreed to term already with him, trying to scare LV off! Ron, working the angles!

Weal is getting picked if Vegas has any semblance of a brain.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Cousins is an NHLer, decent bottom sixer, good agitator.

Problem with Flyers is that next season he would probably have been ~15th on the depth chart at forward.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Filppula
Konecny
Raffl
Weal
Weise
Read
Patrick/Hischier
Lindblom
Laughton
Bellemare
Vecchione
Leier

Are now probably the 17 guys in contention for an NHL spot. Ofc the top ~11 are guaranteed if still in Philly come October. (though one will be gone in expansion.)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Weal is getting picked if Vegas has any semblance of a brain.

However:

They can only take 10x RFA/UFA.

Weal can simply walk on July 1st if they don't sign him in their window.

There is a lot of talk that Weal and the Flyers have a handshake deal in place already that he will sign after expansion so Flyers can protect an extra forward in effect (probably Raffl.)

So is it worth it for Vegas unless he signs for them in the window? No. As if he did not they would likely lose him on July 1st - whereas they could take Laughton, Raffl, Weise etc and actually have a locked up asset of some kind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad