Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Upshall, Coburn, & Biron were all acquired in season of that disastrous year.

The issue with that team was the previous year’s team just got old in a hurry while the younger guys just weren’t at that point to take over. Primeau, Desjardins, Hatcher, etc.

They quickly turned it around the next season because the young guys in place stepped up along with the moves they made in that year & half.

The importance of that Forsberg to Nashville trade can't be overstated.

Getting Upshall, Parent, and a 1st on paper wasn't a great haul, but giving that 1st back to Nashville to acquire the rights to Timonen and Hartnell then locking them up to reasonable contracts was an awesome move.

Homer also around the same time traded Pitkanen, Geoff Sanderson and a 3rd to Edmonton for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.

He also traded a 2nd for Martin Biron.

So in a matter of a few months Holmgren added

Martin Biron
Braydon Coburn
Kimmo Timonen
Scott Hartnell
Scottie Upshall (later traded for Carcillo)
Ryan Parent (meh)
Jason Smith
Joffrey Lupul (later used to acquire Pronger)

While subtracting

2nd round
Alexei Zhitnik (washed up)
Nashville's 2007 1st round pick
What was left of Peter Forsberg (he only played 28 more games in his career after we traded him)
Joni Pitkanen
Geoff Sanderson (washed up)
3rd round pick

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
And then the 10-11 Flyers were the 3rd best team in the NHL, but fell apart in the playoffs.

NHL.com - Stats

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Zherdev-Giroux-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Richards-Nodl/Versteeg
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

Pronger-Carle
Kimmo-Coburn
O'Donnell-Meszaros

Bob - 52 starts, .915
Bouch - 29 starts, .916
Remember that 4th line...we will be different than that team in a few years but better for today’s model. But that’s a hell of 1-4C and top two pairings on D.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
They should be a Calder cup favorite even without Oscar and sanheim...Morin should be back in another week and be a big boost to the defense :hit:

Not to start a shit storm, but Sanheim should not be sent back to Allentown after the Flyers season is over. Show the kid he's above that now and a staple on the big roster. They've F'd with him enough this year. He should be treated like the blue chipper that he is. No more AHL BS for him. This kid is the truth.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Send him to the World Championships and let Hak run the defense.

tenor.gif

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Not to start a **** storm, but Sanheim should not be sent back to Allentown after the Flyers season is over. Show the kid he's above that now and a staple on the big roster. They've F'd with him enough this year. He should be treated like the blue chipper that he is. No more AHL BS for him. This kid is the truth.

I agree both Oscar and sanheim stay up with the big club but I would give Travis and Oscar the option to go play in lv if they want to if the flyers r out and LV is still playing.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure why they wouldn't be unless I missed something ? They were both on the phantoms roster on trade deadline day and should be eligible?
They are eligible and will get whatever experience they can by helping the Phantoms.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
No loss, not knocking him, but with Stolarz and Lyon, Hart on the way, not much room for him.

I'm not entirely buying the "no room for him" argument.
Isn't Madsen like 1.5 years younger than Stolarz and 4 years younger than Lyon. Still plenty of time to develop.
More likely explaination would be that Hextall scouted him and just doesn't see much potential in him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm not entirely buying the "no room for him" argument.
Isn't Madsen like 1.5 years younger than Stolarz and 4 years younger than Lyon. Still plenty of time to develop.
More likely explaination would be that Hextall scouted him and just doesn't see much potential in him.

Actually, I believe the story was Madsen informed the Flyers he would not be signing with them.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Carter Hart is already the best goaltender in the Flyers organization. If anyone could step in and play in the NHL right away as a 20 year old, it would be him. Price did it, and Hart is a significantly better prospect than Price was at this point.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Carter Hart is already the best goaltender in the Flyers organization. If anyone could step in and play in the NHL right away as a 20 year old, it would be him. Price did it, and Hart is a significantly better prospect than Price was at this point.

Goalie prospects are difficult to compare, especially when their respective junior seasons are ~15 years apart.

I don't disagree totally with you thought. But being the best goalie in the Flyers organization isn't too big of a compliment right now :laugh:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Significantly better than Price? Wouldn't go that far. Price went 5th overall for a reason. The game has changed a lot since then anyway. A lot more skill in the league. Guys will eat you up if you're not ready. CHL ---> AHL has proven to be a huge jump let alone CHL---> NHL.
His numbers are significantly better than Price's were in juniors and he's probably going to win CHL goaltender of the year for a second time, which has never been done before. I would say that he's a better prospect than Price was at this juncture. We have an historically good G prospect on our hands.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Goalie numbers don't translate directly.

He's been fantastic, but he's not even clearly the best Goalie prospect in the world let alone lapping Price. I'm on board with putting him above some previous superprospects like peak Jack Campbell, though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His numbers are significantly better than Price's were in juniors and he's probably going to win CHL goaltender of the year for a second time, which has never been done before. I would say that he's a better prospect than Price was at this juncture. We have an historically good G prospect on our hands.
Leland Irving's numbers were significantly better than Price's as well. How'd that work out? Look who Price was playing behind in Juniors. Nobodies. I'm as pumped for Hart as anyone, but you need to keep your expectations in check a little bit. The CHL hasn't exactly been churning out Star goalies lately. The thing that Price had going for him was he got to play 24 AHL games, including the playoffs, the season before he turned pro and he was excellent. Hart will never get that opportunity here, but if he did and excelled, it could move his timeline up, but he's most likely making his pro debut in the AHL in October 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad