OT: Pets

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The worst time of year is when all the dog shit thaws and the lawn turns into a giant cesspool. At least that's what happened with our two dogs out there taking dumps all winter and our three kids breaking their promises of "I'll pick up after them, dad... I promise"

We switched our dogs to a raw meat diet a few years ago (for health reasons). Although it's expensive, the biggest upside is that their shit doesn't stink anymore and it just dries up and crumbles. Haven't picked it up in years

The last few winters I've made it a point to pick up any and all dog poop that I see in the back yard, because the first year we owned the house I was lazy during the winter and paid for it in the spring haha. Of course a few are missed due to snowfall but what a difference in the spring if you've been dilligent about it.

Our ex neighbours were lazy with their english bulldog, and that girl could POOP...I mean like human sized piles. Their yard looked just disgusting in the spring and the smell was quite bad also.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The last few winters I've made it a point to pick up any and all dog poop that I see in the back yard, because the first year we owned the house I was lazy during the winter and paid for it in the spring haha. Of course a few are missed due to snowfall but what a difference in the spring if you've been dilligent about it.

Our ex neighbours were lazy with their english bulldog, and that girl could POOP...I mean like human sized piles. Their yard looked just disgusting in the spring and the smell was quite bad also.
Ya you absolutely have to keep up with it or like you say spring melt is awful.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The worst time of year is when all the dog shit thaws and the lawn turns into a giant cesspool. At least that's what happened with our two dogs out there taking dumps all winter and our three kids breaking their promises of "I'll pick up after them, dad... I promise"

We switched our dogs to a raw meat diet a few years ago (for health reasons). Although it's expensive, the biggest upside is that their shit doesn't stink anymore and it just dries up and crumbles. Haven't picked it up in years
I didn't know that about raw meat , what kind of meat are you giving them?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
In order to get sufficient trace mineral and vitamins you should add some high quality commercial dog food or take an animal nutrition course so that you can add the needed ingredients. Straight meat will eventually make your best buddy sick.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
In order to get sufficient trace mineral and vitamins you should add some high quality commercial dog food or take an animal nutrition course so that you can add the needed ingredients. Straight meat will eventually make your best buddy sick.
Ya thanks, we give her a pretty high quality dog food right now, it sure isn't cheap. Dog food isn't cheap anymore that's for sure.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
A brand called Carnivora

Not sure what you're basing that on. Canines evolved to eat meat exclusively. You won't catch a pack of wolves snacking in a wheat field. They eat their prey and carrion exclusively

In addition to less shit, my dogs also both stopped farting when we switched them over. Their digestive systems are much healthier now

• Haha

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A brand called Carnivora

Not sure what you're basing that on. Canines evolved to eat meat exclusively. You won't catch a pack of wolves snacking in a wheat field. They eat their prey and carrion exclusively

In addition to less shit, my dogs also both stopped farting when we switched them over. Their digestive systems are much healthier now
That would be worth it just to stop the dog farts lol

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A brand called Carnivora

Are you ordering it online or getting at a pet store?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
A brand called Carnivora

I am basing it off of years of research by some of the best animal nutritionists in the world. Wild dogs eat grass, berries and roots to supplement their diets as well as the internal organs of their prey. I spent quite some time in this field and I don’t just make crap up. Google is your friend in case you think a meat only diet is a good idea.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I am basing it off of years of research by some of the best animal nutritionists in the world. Wild dogs eat grass, berries and roots to supplement their diets as well as the internal organs of their prey. I spent quite some time in this field and I don’t just make crap up. Google is your friend in case you think a meat only diet is a good idea.
So do you think this food that @Buffdog is using has those nutrients needed? I like learning this stuff considering i love dogs and have had one almost all my life.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yep, my dogs eat yard salad all summer. It actually helps with their digestion I believe? Dogs are omnivores (but probably do eat more meat than plants) , cats are more carnivorous than dogs.

Nov 24, 2006
There’s a website called dog food advisor which gives some detailed reviews and nutritional analysis of a ton of brands. FWIW, my vet uses (for her dog) and recommends Kirkland kibble from Costco.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
That would be worth it just to stop the dog farts lol
I've even got a t-shirt for that too...

20211009_072909.jpg

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
My dogs will eat grass, but then they puke it up

The raw food we feed them includes organ meat

There are plenty of "animal nutritionists" that disagree (just like with human nutritionists). In fact, one recommended this for our dogs

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
So do you think this food that @Buffdog is using has those nutrients needed? I like learning this stuff considering i love dogs and have had one almost all my life.
Not at all. I was only addressing the idea that meat only diets are sufficient nutrition for dogs. The packaged diets have to be balanced according to industry guidelines.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

There are plenty of "animal nutritionists" that disagree (just like with human nutritionists). In fact, one recommended this for our dogs
I am not looking to get into fight here. No animal nutritionist will ever recommend a meat only diet without plant protein or internal organs to supply trace elements that are required for good health. There are NONE. If you want to feed your best friend that way……have at it.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I think people get raw food confused with raw meat (ie throwing a dog a big t-bone steak like in a 1940s cartoon) . It's that stuff you get at the pet stores that comes pre packaged in the cooler?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am not looking to get into fight here. No animal nutritionist will ever recommend a meat only diet without plant protein or internal organs to supply trace elements that are required for good health. There are NONE. If you want to feed your best friend that way……have at it.
Part of the meal plan (if you read my above post) involves offal every other day.

I have a feeling that you don't know enough about the products to make the judgement you're making. Maybe do a bit of reading yourself

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think people get raw food confused with raw meat (ie throwing a dog a big t-bone steak like in a 1940s cartoon) . It's that stuff you get at the pet stores that comes pre packaged in the cooler?
In case anyone is interested, this is what we feed the dogs and cats

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
In case anyone is interested, this is what we feed the dogs and cats

Do you find it fills them up enough? That's a problem I have with dry food, especially for our cats. But one of them just really prefers the dry to wet so I feed them a mix of both types.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Do you find it fills them up enough? That's a problem I have with dry food, especially for our cats. But one of them just really prefers the dry to wet so I feed them a mix of both types.
I mean, they'd eat more if we gave it to them. But they are stable weight, tons of energy, etc. But they were like that with kibble too

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
A brand called Carnivora

Wolves diets are meant to allow them to effectively produce offspring, but also gives them a short lifespan. Dogs and wolves have evolved differently; their digestive systems are not as similar as you might think.
Raw is great, but you need to look for "complete and balanced" on the packaging.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad