OT: Pets

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
1710263959964.jpeg

My boys are turning 10 & 9 this year. As per the previous conversation in the thread about losing our fur babies the realization just hit me that both of my dogs are going to be considered seniors in under a year.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sorry to say we lost our little girl today. She died peacefully in her sleep. Man it is a tough day.

View attachment 834561
Hey really sorry for your loss , it's a absolutely horrible thing to go through. Just looking at my last post, November 24th 2022 our Chance made it 1 week after i posted and we had to put her down, just a awful, awful thing to deal with. We went a entire year with no dog because it hurt too much and didn't want to go through that ever again. The house felt very empty for a very long time and then just this past December we saw a picture of a rescue from the Pas and went and got her .Never had a rescue before and she's a handful but wow it's great having a dog again, we named her Bella . Anyway i know what you are dealing with and it will get better for you eventually.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey really sorry for your loss , it's a absolutely horrible thing to go through. Just looking at my last post, November 24th 2022 our Chance made it 1 week after i posted and we had to put her down, just a awful, awful thing to deal with. We went a entire year with no dog because it hurt too much and didn't want to go through that ever again. The house felt very empty for a very long time and then just this past December we saw a picture of a rescue from the Pas and went and got her .Never had a rescue before and she's a handful but wow it's great having a dog again, we named her Bella . Anyway i know what you are dealing with and it will get better for you eventually.
Thanks Jet 31. I appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sorry about the pets folks, they truly are family members. A

Our cat is partying on after $3000 worth of surgery in the fall.
Ugh my cat had one of those a year ago. The little idiot was eating my foam roller and it plugged his guts

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Holden and I had to make the hard decision to help Taz across the rainbow bridge in January. He was the pet I've had the longest. He was around the majority of my adult life and went with us to our first house and made it to the new bigger house. He had stopped eating, wasn't using the litter box and had lost most of the muscle in his back legs. It was time and we were there with him at the vet. We got him cremated separately. I recently got a tattoo of Tazzy. I miss him so much

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_222418_569.jpg
    IMG_20240309_222418_569.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 3

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Holden and I had to make the hard decision to help Taz across the rainbow bridge in January. He was the pet I've had the longest. He was around the majority of my adult life and went with us to our first house and made it to the new bigger house. He had stopped eating, wasn't using the litter box and had lost most of the muscle in his back legs. It was time and we were there with him at the vet. We got him cremated separately. I recently got a tattoo of Tazzy. I miss him so much
Sorry for your loss

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
RIP Taz

Reactions: LadyJet26 and UFO

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It was time and we were there with him at the vet. We got him cremated separately. I recently got a tattoo of Tazzy. I miss him so much
Sorry for your troubles. We've had a number of cats and dogs (5) when the kids were babies -> teen years. Kids and pets make for a busy house - but it still kicks my ass when I think of the pets winding down and finally passing. One male black tabby was an undersized rescue from a dairy farm, really miss that little guy.

He used to hang on the back of my chair while I practiced guitar. One of the few that enjoyed my songs. :)

Last edited:

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Sorry for your loss

Reactions: LadyJet26 and UFO

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What a thread. I do a catch up and find myself in tears in the Calgary airport. Pets are so amazing and reading about our fellow posters losing their little bundles of joy is tough.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
View attachment 839362
Chewie recovering from being attacked by 3 dogs at the dog park. He’s ok but not happy about wearing the cone
That is awful, which dog park?

We stopped going years ago after seeing multiple attacks happen and close to getting into fist fights with crappy dog owners that allow their dogs to aggressively dominate our dogs.

There are dog owners that go there knowing their dogs are aggressive, but because they are bigger dogs they dont fear their dogs getting injured.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

We stopped going years ago after seeing multiple attacks happen and close to getting into fist fights with crappy dog owners that allow their dogs to aggressively dominate our dogs.

There are dog owners that go there knowing their dogs are aggressive, but because they are bigger dogs they dont fear their dogs getting injured.
I owned a chain of pet stores for 20 yrs and have a bit of advice for weary pet owners. Flexi retractable leashes are weighted so that they are very useful as a club in the event that your dog is attacked. They are designed to be used on the thin edge not in the flat side. I have first hand experience from an attack and knocked the dog out in 2 swings.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I owned a chain of pet stores for 20 yrs and have a bit of advice for weary pet owners. Flexi retractable leashes are weighted so that they are very useful as a club in the event that your dog is attacked. They are designed to be used on the thin edge not in the flat side. I have first hand experience from an attack and knocked the dog out in 2 swings.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that. I use to carry a bigger walking stick that I made from a large tree branch. Effective poke in the ribs usually persuaded the dog to retreat.

Still wont go back to dog parks as there are just to many bad owners that take their dogs there because they cannot walk them on a leash. The only dog park I would consider is the one downtown, its small, completely fenced in and if I fight broke out you can get to it quickly.

But we know of a couple of dogs that were badly injured being attacked there as well.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Ya we had the same problem, i would love to take our new dog to the park so she could run but i don't know how she would interact with other dogs so i'm not doing it, common sense to me .

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ya we had the same problem, i would love to take our new dog to the park so she could run but i don't know how she would interact with other dogs so i'm not doing it, common sense to me .
Not sure what part of the city you're in, but we stated taking the pups to the path at the floodway years ago. Most people let their dogs run off leash there and the ones that don't are cool. Never had a problem with an aggressive dog

The most annoying thing my dog does is that he'll try to hump other dogs once in a while (he's fixed). The funny thing is that he'll only try to hump fluffy blond dogs, and he always humps their head

• Haha

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not sure what part of the city you're in, but we stated taking the pups to the path at the floodway years ago. Most people let their dogs run off leash there and the ones that don't are cool. Never had a problem with an aggressive dog

The most annoying thing my dog does is that he'll try to hump other dogs once in a while (he's fixed). The funny thing is that he'll only try to hump fluffy blond dogs, and he always humps their head
It's funny i guess because our dog is a rescue the rescue that we got Bella from gave us one free session with a dog trainer and we brought up wanting to take her to a dog park and the first thing he said was why? I said so she could run, she's got so much energy a walk doesn't do it for her. He said dog parks are the worst and to take her out to the floodway or a field and let her run. I'm in decent shape but running around the house and yard with her gets tiring and right now my backyard is a skating rink from this shity weather so i can't even do that right now. Yesterday i bit it in the backyard picking up poop and it landed on me :mad: at least the poop was frozen.:laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There is a small dog park kind of behind the Costco on Regent that I take my younger pug to, they have a small dog area and large dog area with a fence in between both which is great. Although he's cocky and he THINKS he should be with the big dogs ha.

Anyways from what I've seen the people on the large dog side seem pretty responsible with their pups. I know the Kilcona park that's off Lagimodiere is supposed to be quite large, it's off leash and free range regardless of size and I've read about enough incidents there with other dogs and coyotes that I don't bother taking him there.

View attachment 839362
Chewie recovering from being attacked by 3 dogs at the dog park. He’s ok but not happy about wearing the cone
poor Chewie. What breed is he?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It's funny i guess because our dog is a rescue the rescue that we got Bella from gave us one free session with a dog trainer and we brought up wanting to take her to a dog park and the first thing he said was why? I said so she could run, she's got so much energy a walk doesn't do it for her. He said dog parks are the worst and to take her out to the floodway or a field and let her run. I'm in decent shape but running around the house and yard with her gets tiring and right now my backyard is a skating rink from this shity weather so i can't even do that right now. Yesterday i bit it in the backyard picking up poop and it landed on me :mad: at least the poop was frozen.:laugh:
The worst time of year is when all the dog shit thaws and the lawn turns into a giant cesspool. At least that's what happened with our two dogs out there taking dumps all winter and our three kids breaking their promises of "I'll pick up after them, dad... I promise"

We switched our dogs to a raw meat diet a few years ago (for health reasons). Although it's expensive, the biggest upside is that their shit doesn't stink anymore and it just dries up and crumbles. Haven't picked it up in years

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00