Petr Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mrazek 5-3, GA 2,07, SV% .938
Howard 3-3-1, GA 2,07, SV% .932

I think Mrazek should be 1A and Howard 1B. I think Blashill should give Mrazek 6 and Howard 4 games.
Not much seperating the two at this point. I trust Mrazek's ability to steal a game a bit more, but I feel confident both guys will give us a chance to win each game.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Howard will be lost at an expansion draft most probably.

Don't believe for a trade.

Couldn't agree more Henkka, I think that Holland holds onto Howard for this year and next and then leaves him unprotected at the 2017/18 expansion draft. Would be nice to get something for him even if it's a high 1st or 2nd round pick but just don't see that happening.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
What I like about Mrazek is that he's a legitimately good player. He doesn't rely on being like 7 ft tall (like bishop does). He's very active and acrobatic which makes him fun to watch

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What I like about Mrazek is that he's a legitimately good player. He doesn't rely on being like 7 ft tall (like bishop does). He's very active and acrobatic which makes him fun to watch
Yeah he's just good. If they cut down the size of goalie equipment significantly he should still be a good goaltender, while some guys that rely on just being big may get exposed.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not much seperating the two at this point. I trust Mrazek's ability to steal a game a bit more, but I feel confident both guys will give us a chance to win each game.
I like both our goalies and I think Howard's veteran presence is very good and important for Mrazek now.
I think Mrazeks ability to move the puck is huge for our team as our Dmen really struggle to move the puck.
As I have said before goaltending is our strength.
Couldn't agree more Henkka, I think that Holland holds onto Howard for this year and next and then leaves him unprotected at the 2017/18 expansion draft. Would be nice to get something for him even if it's a high 1st or 2nd round pick but just don't see that happening.

Howard value has increased a lot lately.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

It all depends. we may not even get an expansion team.. I think howard is traded unless he has a 910 save

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
is it appropriate to start comparing Mrazek to other once-young goalies in the NHL.
The last big goalie I remember that came up was Carey.
Now he is arguably the best goalie in the league, but for his first few years he struggled mightily.
Thoughts?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
is it appropriate to start comparing Mrazek to other once-young goalies in the NHL.
The last big goalie I remember that came up was Carey.
Now he is arguably the best goalie in the league, but for his first few years he struggled mightily.
Thoughts?

Right now Petr Mrazek is a top 5 goalie in stats (in save% anyway, think he is in GAA as well) Small sample size. But Mrazek is for real, you can see it in the way he plays.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed I would have to believe that Howard's trade value would be pretty high right now the ways he's been playing here lately.

Both our guys are top10 in GAA and SV. And we've seen how badly the team's defense has played for most of our games so far. I think Mrazek's SV is even above Price's. Imagine if we had played better this stretch. We'd be competing with the Habs for top spot.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Agreed. But imagine where we would be if our goalies were playing at a more "normal" level? That worries me a bit. I love Mrazek as much as anyone else. He's been great. But I don't expect him to keep posting a .938 SVP for the rest of his career. It's still early in the season, but 15 games in, we're 30th in the league in Shots For/Game and 28th in the league in Shots Against/Game. We're lucky that Mrazek and Howard have played as well as they have so far.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed. But imagine where we would be if our goalies were playing at a more "normal" level? That worries me a bit. I love Mrazek as much as anyone else. He's been great. But I don't expect him to keep posting a .938 SVP for the rest of his career. It's still early in the season, but 15 games in, we're 30th in the league in Shots For/Game and 28th in the league in Shots Against/Game. We're lucky that Mrazek and Howard have played as well as they have so far.

Indeed worrying if we don't improve as a team. However I think Mrazek has a good chance of being an elite goaltender, top3 in the league within a couple years. And the past couple games has been a marked improvement in our possession metrics. If we can keep all that up and get Datsyuk back tomorrow.... I like where we're headed.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

2 or 3 games Howard has had a 910 save% I think hes already starting

Ralgo

Oct 12, 2013
Prague
I dunno who made this, but its too great to let it die in comments under sportnews.

Title of the image was: "Not in my house!"
gallery_23619_93_69821.jpg

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
This is the second time you have posted this and this will be the second time you will be told you are wrong.

Jimmy Howard had a .909 in his last start against Dallas. He also posted a .861 in a loss against Carolina last month.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jimmy Howard had a .909 in his last start against Dallas. He also posted a .861 in a loss against Carolina last month.

Okay, last month. The indication is that he has recently had games where he was below .910. That is completely false.

Mrazek has had two games within the last month where he was below .910 as well. Are we going to say he is starting to regress because of them?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

So what? Do people not realize what an "average" is?

Carey Price's last two games were sub .900. Mrazek had a .900 sv % a few games ago against Carolina.

The average is all that matters.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Okay, last month. The indication is that he has recently had games where he was below .910. That is completely false.

Mrazek has had two games within the last month where he was below .910 as well. Are we going to say he is starting to regress because of them?

Jimmy Howard's last start was against Dallas on November 8th. He posted a .909 SV%. That means he recently had a game below .910, ergo that was not a false statement.

I think Howard has been just fine, and am not knocking his play at all, but his last start was below .910

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Jimmy Howard's last start was against Dallas on November 8th. He posted a .909 SV%. That means he recently had a game below .910, ergo that was not a false statement.

I think Howard has been just fine, and am not knocking his play at all, but his last start was below .910

A game in which he left injured.

If he stays in and stops the 2 easy shots Mrazek faced his SV% is .917

You're grasping at straws.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
A game in which he left injured.

If he stays in and stops the 2 easy shots Mrazek faced his SV% is .917

You're grasping at straws.

I wasn't the one who started posting about Howard or his play, I was just responding to a poster that stated that Howard hasn't had any starts below .910. Well, he has and I was just pointing that out.

Howards's been good this year, and I'm hoping for that good play to continue. I was just pointing out a fact in my previous post.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

The guy said that it's been two or three games that he's had sub .910 save percentages. It's been one game, which means that yes, it was a false statement.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The guy said that it's been two or three games that he's had sub .910 save percentages. It's been one game, which means that yes, it was a false statement.

Not true. He posted a .861 SV% in the loss vs. Carolina.

In his last 5 starts, Howard has posted: .909, .967, .941, .925, .861

Those are 2 games where he's had a sub .910 SV%. That poster was making a true statement. If you don't believe me, a simple check of his game log on nhl.com can confirm that information for you.

I think Howard has been doing well, and I wasn't even the one who made that comment, so I guess I should probably stop debating semantics at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad