Petr Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Good that he's there to jump in for Jimmy right now. Liking what I see. Should be backup #1 next season. It's fun to watch that kid play.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Will be fighting for the #1 job from Jimmy as early as next season.

Aggressive, confident and elite puck handling goalie who is a huge asset for this organization

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
He's definetly earning his keep, I like his aggressive play. He just needs to iron out a few kinks, like when to be aggressive and when to stay in the net. This stretch, with Howard out, should gain him confidence.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Will be fighting for the #1 job from Jimmy as early as next season.

Aggressive, confident and elite puck handling goalie who is a huge asset for this organization

I disagree.

What he makes up in puck handling, he lacks in rebound control. He's worse than Jimmy was when Jimmy broke into the league. Yea, he was older. Yada yada. But Mrazek is projected to be an elite talent?

I do agree that he is a huge asset to the org, though. He will be a back up 100% next season, until he can learn to catch/swallow a puck.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I disagree.

What he makes up in puck handling, he lacks in rebound control. He's worse than Jimmy was when Jimmy broke into the league. Yea, he was older. Yada yada. But Mrazek is projected to be an elite talent?

I do agree that he is a huge asset to the org, though. He will be a back up 100% next season, until he can learn to catch/swallow a puck.
This is the correct answer. It's funny how people will turn a blind eye to things eh?

Actual Thought*

I disagree.

He did win an AHL Championship. So there's that.;)

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
He did win an AHL Championship. So there's that.;)

I'm not questioning him. I believe he can hit it. But he's not taking over the number 1 spot playing like he is right now. He's made of rubber at the moment.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
I disagree.

One of the few flaws in his game that I'm sure he'll iron out with experience. And quite frankly his puck handling ability makes up for that spot imo. Its huge for this defence and helps them out a lot.

I see a 22 year old goaltender putting up excellent numbers in the NHL with a few flaws that are going to improve with time and experience. Mrazek absolutely has the chance to become a elite top 5 goaltender in this league during his prime.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I definitely love his puck-handling ability. Such a breath of fresh air compared to Howard.

He's also got great reflexes which leads to some impressive saves, and generally seems to be strong mentally (shaking off allowed goals without being bothered by it).

Obviously needs to work on his rebound control, learning when to not be overly aggressive, and just adapting to playing in the NHL.

Backup for sure next season, but Jimmy is secure in the #1 spot for at least 1-2 more years.

A lot of young goalies look highly impressive in a small sample size when they first enter the NHL. Maintaining a high level of play over an entire season+playoffs is the difficult thing. We'll see how long Howard is out and how Mrazek does, would not be surprised to see a letdown game or two along the way.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I didn't like Jimmy's term when he signed his contract knowing Mrazek would be knocking at the door step right about now. Looking forward to them vying for starting time over the next season or so.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I love Mrazek with a bit of swagger. He has a nice way of flashing the leather when he makes a big trapper save. Reminds me a little of how Roy used to flash the mitt.

The rebound control is a big issue, I think he will improve though. A lot of it has to do with how shots are coming in the NHL compared to in junior and minor league hockey, it changes how you have to square up to the shooter and the angle you take to kick the puck to the corner. Clearly his reactions are outstanding and mentally he seems incredibly strong, his play in playoff type tournaments is also reassuring because it proves he can rise to the challenge and not buckle under pressure.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I didn't like Jimmy's term when he signed his contract knowing Mrazek would be knocking at the door step right about now. Looking forward to them vying for starting time over the next season or so.

When does Howard's NMC come off? Couple years?

I think by then we will know who to go with and who is a tradeable asset.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm not questioning him. I believe he can hit it. But he's not taking over the number 1 spot playing like he is right now. He's made of rubber at the moment.

How much of that is because you prefer pure butterfly style goaltending? Being that he is a: a hybrid tender, and b: young he will have time to correct it however due to the nature of hybrid style he will on occasion let pucks rebound due to stand up leg kick saves on a more frequent basis then a traditional butterfly tender (Howie).

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
End of this year for the NMC. NTC for the next 2 years. No restrictions for the last 2 years of his term however.

I believe that the next 2 years it was a modified NTC where he makes a list of 10 teams. by the end of next year I could see him being shopped. thats why I hope he plays well. with his contract by the end of next year he could be a real trade chip.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I believe that the next 2 years it was a modified NTC where he makes a list of 10 teams. by the end of next year I could see him being shopped. thats why I hope he plays well. with his contract by the end of next year he could be a real trade chip.

do you really think holland is going to be shopping howard that soon?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
do you really think holland is going to be shopping howard that soon?

It all depends on Mrazek. A team only really needs one #1 so as soon as Mrazek can be fully trusted to be a consistent NHL #1 then that's when Howard will be shopped. Assuming that Mrazek ends up better than Howard, of course. That's the one assumption that gets made a lot around here (myself included), that Mrazek will end up better than Howard.

If Mrazek ends up better, Howard will be shopped. He'll be a good trade piece as a consistently above average #1 with a very reasonable cap hit (especially in 2-3 years).

If Mrazek develops but doesn't quite get to Howard's level, there's a very good chance Mrazek is the one that's shopped. Howard's not that old yet.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Thats what I said as well mate. NMC ends this offseason and a NTC for the next two years.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
IMO, he looked more calm since the Buffalo game than previously. He still has some bobbles but I feel like he's already taken a distinct step in his NHL progress in a matter of a few weeks.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I disagree.

Where on earth were you watching Howard that you thought he had good rebound control coming into this league?? He was horrific in that respect as a youngster. His calling card was giving up crisp reboundsoff the lateral pads right into the faceoff circles nightly.

Literally the only guy I can think that took bigger leaps in his first few NHL seasons than Howard is Ericsson, who most forget looked like a POOR man's Lilja in his first few NHL seasons. Good lord do those growing pains give me nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad