Confirmed with Link: Petr Mrazek re-signed, 2 years 4m/year

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Contract is fine, but Howard's abysmal contract destroys any cap advantage the Wings had in net.

9.3 million dedicated to goaltending...

I don't mind the Mrazek contract. I don't think it should've taken this long but at least it's done, and at least Mrazek is still a RFA at the end of it.

...but 9 million on goaltending is a ****ing joke. The only team that comes close to us in goaltender spending is the NYR, and that's because they have Lundqvust at 8.5aav

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The Wings can LTIR Vitale and Franzen during training camp, but they won't necessarily get the full $5m of cap relief in that scenario. When an LTIR exception is used in training camp the team is "locked in" at whatever the payroll is at that time. e.g. General Fanager shows the wings at $77.867M right now, or $4.867M over the cap. btw, that doesn't include Mantha. If the Wings were to keep that roster and LTIR both players during training camp then they would gain $4.867M in cap relief, i.e. $77.867M would be the maximum cap (including Franzen/Vitale) and the team would have zero additional space available.

If that's the case, then it appears the Wings did a pretty good job staying close to the actual upper limit. If $77.867M becomes their cap, and Franzen and Vitale are a combined $5.071M, then with those two guys aside the Wings are effectively working with a $72.796M cap. Sound right?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If that's the case, then it appears the Wings did a pretty good job staying close to the actual upper limit. If $77.867M becomes their cap, and Franzen and Vitale are a combined $5.071M, then with those two guys aside the Wings are effectively working with a $72.796M cap. Sound right?

Correct. Of course the actual number will depend on what the final roster is.

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
I don't mind the Mrazek contract. I don't think it should've taken this long but at least it's done, and at least Mrazek is still a RFA at the end of it.

...but 9 million on goaltending is a ****ing joke. The only team that comes close to us in goaltender spending is the NYR, and that's because they have Lundqvust at 8.5aav

Also Dallas has 10+ mil for Niemi and Lehtonen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm fine with the deal but cant believe a team thats at the cap has defense this poor and 1 50 point guy.
You betcha. That's why I'm puzzled at the fans who think a top 5 pick is borderline impossible. Even if the kids play alright, I think Detroit struggles to make the playoffs. If either Larkin or Mrazek has a disappointing year, I think a high pick is downright probable.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If Mrazek struggles and we still only have one 50 point guy, the team is completely ****ed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Mrazek struggles and we still only have one 50 point guy, the team is completely ****ed.

Stabilizing the PP is going to be kind of key for this season.

Guys like Nyquist and Green saw a downtick last year due to some struggles with the PP.

I could see any of Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Larkin, Vanek cracking 50 pts if our PP is clicking. Or I could see none of them cracking 50 pts too. But I really think the PP is going to be a huge factor in that.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You betcha. That's why I'm puzzled at the fans who think a top 5 pick is borderline impossible. Even if the kids play alright, I think Detroit struggles to make the playoffs. If either Larkin or Mrazek has a disappointing year, I think a high pick is downright probable.

Then all the tanking crowd gets their wish. Nothing to complain about.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Stabilizing the PP is going to be kind of key for this season.

Guys like Nyquist and Green saw a downtick last year due to some struggles with the PP.

I could see any of Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Larkin, Vanek cracking 50 pts if our PP is clicking. Or I could see none of them cracking 50 pts too. But I really think the PP is going to be a huge factor in that.

I agree, though, I think Nyquist and/or Tatar need to step up at ES, too. Nyquist, especially, has been a very deferential player the last two years, and regularly makes unnecessary extra passes. I think Nielsen has his job cut out for him, replacing Datsyuk's scoring and making up for whatever else Z loses this season. I dunno. The defense is too bad to help out much if Mrazek isn't playing like a top goalie and the offense isn't scoring at a significantly better rate than league average.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I agree, though, I think Nyquist and/or Tatar need to step up at ES, too. Nyquist, especially, has been a very deferential player the last two years, and regularly makes unnecessary extra passes. I think Nielsen has his job cut out for him, replacing Datsyuk's scoring and making up for whatever else Z loses this season. I dunno. The defense is too bad to help out much if Mrazek isn't playing like a top goalie and the offense isn't scoring at a significantly better rate than league average.

Nyqvist and Tatar were essentially the same player production wise at even strength each of the last two years. In fact, Nyqvist actually improved his even strength production this last season.

2015: 1.70 P/60, 1.44 P/60

compared to

2016: 1.69 P/60, 1.69 P/60

Tatar's "bad year" (relative to the previous year) can be explained by an inexplicable drop in ice time of 2 minutes per game. Because Blashill is a big dummy and decided on a team that can't score worth a damn it makes sense to play your best goal scorer just 14 min a game.

Nyqvist's "bad year" can be explained by a drop in ice time of 1 minute and 30 seconds a game (again, because Blashill is a dummy) and by the PP sucking and the team using Nyqvist in a passing rather than a shooting role on the PP.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Nyqvist and Tatar were essentially the same player production wise at even strength each of the last two years. In fact, Nyqvist actually improved his even strength production this last season.

2015: 1.70 P/60, 1.44 P/60

compared to

2016: 1.69 P/60, 1.69 P/60

Tatar's "bad year" (relative to the previous year) can be explained by an inexplicable drop in ice time of 2 minutes per game. Because Blashill is a big dummy and decided on a team that can't score worth a damn it makes sense to play your best goal scorer just 14 min a game.

Nyqvist's "bad year" can be explained by a drop in ice time of 1 minute and 30 seconds a game (again, because Blashill is a dummy) and by the PP sucking and the team using Nyqvist in a passing rather than a shooting role on the PP.

I'm not suggesting that their numbers dropped, I'm suggesting that they need to play a different style of hockey. I also noted that Nyquist has been very deferential on offense the last two years, so it's unsurprising to me that his numbers are roughly the same. I should add that I don't think he'll get back to shooting at 18%, but that in 2013, he averaged 4.65 shots per game, 4.16 in 2014 and 3.2 last year (based on total shots attempted). He routinely made too many passes, giving up open shots. I have no idea if that's on Blashill or Dats/Z/veterans, but he was a more effective player when he was shooting at will, and not just because he couldn't find a pass. I don't think that's entirely on the ice time, though I agree that their usage was deplorable.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Pretty sure if we did all that we would be under the roster limit?

Also really can't see Holland waiving Franzen. If someone picked him up they could **** us with recapture. Very unlikely it happens, but not something I could see a guy like Holland risking.

There is zero chance of that happening.

Also, what roster limit? AFAIK, there is no such thing. You need 24 players and 3 goalies signed to SPCs but they, obviously, don't have to be on the NHL roster. Calgary played with, what, 15? 18? guys a few years back for a minute because of cap problems, no?

The Wings can LTIR Vitale and Franzen during training camp, but they won't necessarily get the full $5m of cap relief in that scenario. When an LTIR exception is used in training camp the team is "locked in" at whatever the payroll is at that time. e.g. General Fanager shows the wings at $77.867M right now, or $4.867M over the cap. btw, that doesn't include Mantha. If the Wings were to keep that roster and LTIR both players during training camp then they would gain $4.867M in cap relief, i.e. $77.867M would be the maximum cap (including Franzen/Vitale) and the team would have zero additional space available.

Cannot demote injured players like Franzen and Vitale.

Hmm, I thought you could waive an "injured" guy as long as they weren't on IR.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Then all the tanking crowd gets their wish. Nothing to complain about.
Nothing at all...except the boatload of awful contacts that will make the rebuild significantly more difficult than it ever needed to be.

That's why I wanted it 2-3 years ago. Every summer that Holland does more damage makes the eventual fix harder.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is zero chance of that happening.

Also, what roster limit? AFAIK, there is no such thing. You need 24 players and 3 goalies signed to SPCs but they, obviously, don't have to be on the NHL roster. Calgary played with, what, 15? 18? guys a few years back for a minute because of cap problems, no?

From nhl.com

23-man Roster
There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'm not suggesting that their numbers dropped, I'm suggesting that they need to play a different style of hockey. I also noted that Nyquist has been very deferential on offense the last two years, so it's unsurprising to me that his numbers are roughly the same. I should add that I don't think he'll get back to shooting at 18%, but that in 2013, he averaged 4.65 shots per game, 4.16 in 2014 and 3.2 last year (based on total shots attempted). He routinely made too many passes, giving up open shots. I have no idea if that's on Blashill or Dats/Z/veterans, but he was a more effective player when he was shooting at will, and not just because he couldn't find a pass. I don't think that's entirely on the ice time, though I agree that their usage was deplorable.

4.65 vs. 4.16 shots per game isn't a huge difference IMO. And, as I mentioned earlier, the drop this year can be directly tied to his decline in ice time and new role on the power play in which he was used in a different position. That's how I see it anyways.

Most issues on this team stem from personnel use (lines, ice time, playing style) IMO. Do I think they are Stanley Cup contenders even with ideal personnel use? Of course not, but I think how bad everyone was last year (individually) is exaggerated because Blashill made too many decisions that don't make sense. I really hope Blashill has learned in the offseason that decisions like playing Helm and Richards in the top 6 and limiting Nyqvist and Tatar's minutes hurts the team.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
4.65 vs. 4.16 shots per game isn't a huge difference IMO.

Dunno if this is right but....

4.65 - 4.16 = .49 shots/game

.49 * 82 = ~40 shots/season

40 * .08 (shooting percentage) = 3.2 goals/season

If that's correct, it's a pretty meh difference. 3 goals over 82 games, assuming you play all 82.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
you betcha. That's why i'm puzzled at the fans who think a top 5 pick is borderline impossible. Even if the kids play alright, i think detroit struggles to make the playoffs. If either larkin or mrazek has a disappointing year, i think a high pick is downright probable.

2013-14.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Because I'm optimistic and disagree that the team is a top five pick? I see the team in a different way. Nothing to be puzzled about.

The very few left who actually support the team and the future seem to be looked down upon here it seems.

And if things go well, the team has way more than "one" 50P guy.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I have no problem with HOPING that the kids do well...or THINKING that the kids might/should/will do well. But that's very different than, "This roster simply has too much talent for any possible scenario to unfold - short of cutting or benching half the roster - that leads to a top 5 pick."

They might make the playoffs, they might not. But (in my opinion) they have a very thin margin for error this season. Should the stars align, they could very well make the playoffs again. But should they have a down year, I think that this collection of players could result in a VERY down year.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They don't need "the stars to align" to make the playoffs. That's such an overstatement of how "bad" the roster is.
To be quite honest they could make the playoffs solely because of Petr Mrazek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad