Confirmed with Link: Petr Mrazek re-signed, 2 years 4m/year

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I remember making a big stink about his next contract towards the end of the season

Some posters suggested giving him a big contract similar to the one DeKeyser just signed

I figured he would sign a deal for something like 2 years $5 or $5.5M

Has the front office lost the ability to keep bridge deals smallish?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I remember making a big stink about his next contract towards the end of the season

Some posters suggested giving him a big contract similar to the one DeKeyser just signed

I figured he would sign a deal for something like 2 years $5 or $5.5M

Has the front office lost the ability to keep bridge deals smallish?

How do you keep bridge deals less than what we gave Mrazek?

A players numbers are his numbers, and Mrazek actually has really good numbers for his age.

When you draft good players you pay them more. It's not a bad problem to have. The crap we give guys like Helm, Ericsson, and the like is the issue.

A lot of players that get these sweetheart deals don't have much of an opportunity, are given a bridge, then later get an opportunity and make that deal look great. The Wings wanted this to happen with Mrazek, but he was so good at a young age that he just stole the starting goalie spot and ran with it. The last thing they wanted was to have Mrazek be this good, this early, and have 9 million tied up in Mrazek and Howard, but Mrazek forced the situation with his play.

I mean heck, I think the whole reason Detroit was even willing to go to arbitration was to try and keep the bridge as small as possible. I would bet their main point to the arbitrator was going to be comparing Petr to the deal Gibson just got, which is a great deal. But Mrazek has more games played, so the arbitrator was probably going to factor in that he has a bigger sample size (and has similar numbers on a worse team). So they took the closest thing they could get. I guess in this case, I don't really see what else they could do.

Last edited:

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Pretty much what I expected as far as money and term.

The Dekeyser deal I think is about 750 too much for the first 2 years but I expect his contract to be a bargain towards the back end of his contract. We paid a premium for UFA years. With that being said is it crazy that I'm both surprised and un-surprised with how Holland handled 18+ million dollars in cap room this off season? I was OK with the Vanek and Nielsen signing after losing out on Stamkos but the Ott and Helm signings have me scratching my head to say the least. It's going to be an interesting season,

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Fine with me.

What a hot mess this cap is now. And trades need to be made. Trade Nyquist and Howard. AA and Mantha need to be on the team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How do you keep bridge deals less than what we gave Mrazek?

A players numbers are his numbers, and Mrazek actually has really good numbers for his age.

When you draft good players you pay them more. It's not a bad problem to have. The crap we give guys like Helm, Ericsson, and the like is the issue.

A lot of players that get these sweetheart deals don't have much of an opportunity, are given a bridge, then later get an opportunity and make that deal look great. The Wings wanted this to happen with Mrazek, but he was so good at a young age that he just stole the starting goalie spot and ran with it. The last thing they wanted was to have Mrazek be this good, this early, and have 9 million tied up in Mrazek and Howard, but Mrazek forced the situation with his play.

I mean heck, I think the whole reason Detroit was even willing to go to arbitration was to try and keep the bridge as small as possible. I would bet their main point to the arbitrator was going to be comparing Petr to the deal Gibson just got, which is a great deal. But Mrazek has more games played, so the arbitrator was probably going to factor in that he has a bigger sample size (and has similar numbers on a worse team). So they took the closest thing they could get. I guess in this case, I don't really see what else they could do.

Yeah, I agree, how do you give less than 2 years in a bridge deal, and at only $4 mil per.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nice deal for both Mrazek and Detroit, After this deal he will get his long term deal and big money. That being said according to Cap Friendly we're $4.238 million over the cap so in about 2 months or so Holland will need to find a way to shed that before Franzen and Vitale go on LTIR. Holland will still have his work cut out for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nice deal for both Mrazek and Detroit, After this deal he will get his long term deal and big money. That being said according to Cap Friendly we're $4.238 million over the cap so in about 2 months or so Holland will need to find a way to shed that before Franzen and Vitale go on LTIR. Holland will still have his work cut out for him.

I don't think that's how it works.

Can't you be up to 10% over the Cap right up until the first day of the season?

So we just stay 4.2-4.4 million over the cap from now until the first day of the season, and then the first day of the season LTIR Franzen + Vitale for ~5 million of cap relief and come in under the Cap.

I don't think we actually have to do anything?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I think this is fair. It's higher than I Predicated earlier in the off season, but then again, I was low on dekeyser's deal also. My take away from all this is that I'd make a terrible agent.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

So we just stay 4.2-4.4 million over the cap from now until the first day of the season, and then the first day of the season LTIR Franzen + Vitale for ~5 million of cap relief and come in under the Cap.

i thought you had to be cap compliant on day 1 of the season before putting anyone on LTIR

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i thought you had to be cap compliant on day 1 of the season before putting anyone on LTIR

Is it that they have to be cap compliant by the 1st day of training camp, but guys can't go on LTIR until the last day of training camp? Or something to that effect?

I think that may be right, LTIR isn't as much of a loophole as it seems I guess.

Pulled this from a Leafs article:
To accommodate for the fact that rosters are more fluid in the off-season, the Collective Bargaining Agreement allows teams to go temporarily over the salary cap by up to 10% of the upper limit until the last day of training camp. This means that teams must become salary cap compliant before they can place players on LTIR since the injury exception to the cap does not come into effect until the season has started.
http://theleafsnation.com/2016/5/7/...and-the-leafs-need-to-be-cautious-in-using-it

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Pretty sure we can waive Franzen, Vitale, and Ott/Miller and then "demote" AA and Larkin to pull together $4.5M in cap space before the season starts. Each guy gives you $900k or $950k in space (AA a little less).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty sure we can waive Franzen, Vitale, and Ott/Miller and then "demote" AA and Larkin to pull together $4.5M in cap space before the season starts. Each guy gives you $900k or $950k in space (AA a little less).

Pretty sure if we did all that we would be under the roster limit?

Also really can't see Holland waiving Franzen. If someone picked him up they could **** us with recapture. Very unlikely it happens, but not something I could see a guy like Holland risking.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The Wings can LTIR Vitale and Franzen during training camp, but they won't necessarily get the full $5m of cap relief in that scenario. When an LTIR exception is used in training camp the team is "locked in" at whatever the payroll is at that time. e.g. General Fanager shows the wings at $77.867M right now, or $4.867M over the cap. btw, that doesn't include Mantha. If the Wings were to keep that roster and LTIR both players during training camp then they would gain $4.867M in cap relief, i.e. $77.867M would be the maximum cap (including Franzen/Vitale) and the team would have zero additional space available.

Cannot demote injured players like Franzen and Vitale.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The Wings can LTIR Vitale and Franzen during training camp, but they won't necessarily get the full $5m of cap relief in that scenario. When an LTIR exception is used in training camp the team is "locked in" at whatever the payroll is at that time. e.g. General Fanager shows the wings at $77.867M right now, or $4.867M over the cap. btw, that doesn't include Mantha. If the Wings were to keep that roster and LTIR both players during training camp then they would gain $4.867M in cap relief, i.e. $77.867M would be the maximum cap (including Franzen/Vitale) and the team would have zero additional space available.

Cannot demote injured players like Franzen and Vitale.

Which may be the motivation behind a waiver friendly signing like Steve Ott?

Aug 6, 2012
Going to be fun when we have to sign Mrazek to a huge contract in a couple of years. With all of these long-term contracts that we have no chance of moving, we are really going to be in for it. Not against this deal, but it's going to sting in the future most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad