Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
And with that, the 2023-2024 Peterborough Petes season comes to an end. Through each trial and tribulation, this team never quit and neither did the fans. This team will be back. Lots to look forward to. the Draft next month, the Import Draft, every new and existing player and everything and everyone in between. No doubt a bright future ahead #GoPetesGo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
And with that, the 2023-2024 Peterborough Petes season comes to an end. Through each trial and tribulation, this team never quit and neither did the fans. This team will be back. Lots to look forward to. the Draft next month, the Import Draft, every new and existing player and everything and everyone in between. No doubt a bright future ahead #GoPetesGo

Well said! GL in the Lottery. I really hope the Pete’s pick first.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Based on my observations of the past month or so of Petes hockey, my guess is that 2024-25 will be another rebuilding year for the Petes but they will make the playoffs at least. The good news is that the group will grow together and then be a top team in 2025-26.

I'm very interested to see how Young and Taylor develop as skilled forwards, Addy as a power forward and Cameron as the prototypical defensive defenseman who plays big minutes and put up points. He has the potential to be a Makar.

And as good as we know McCallum is, I actually think he's better than we think he is. He has some sort of advanced ability to anticipate a play and has surprising strength for a small player. He reminds me a bit of Tucker Robertson but has a more purposeful edge to his game than maybe Tucker.

Similar to 2022-23, the Petes in 2025-26 will trade for some top players to load up and make a run.

peskypetes101

Mar 24, 2024
My guess is they trade Sztuska in the off season to a contender for some more 2007 talent or even an overage Dman. They need to keep one of their OA’s on the back end as it is a VERY inexperience but promising Dcore. That leaves only 2 OA spots left for McIntyre, Lefebvre and Melee. I don’t think Purdeller will be back, sounds like he has a contract over in Europe waiting for him. We have to assume the captain will be back, so they have some tough choices next year. I would think there are a few other 2004’s around the league looking for a roster spot somewhere as well.

I think at least two or three 2008’s would have a spot on this team as well as they will be a big part of this push in a couple years, and you have to think a couple more 2007’s would crack this roster like Easton Lynds and Francis Parish. This team will be very heavy in 2007’s come opening day next year, which will still put them in tough for a playoff spot. They are clearly building for the 2007’s 19 year old season, so the 2008’s will be very important as well. Lets hope the draft goes well!

Ogie Junior

Apr 6, 2020
My guess is they trade Sztuska in the off season to a contender for some more 2007 talent or even an overage Dman. They need to keep one of their OA’s on the back end as it is a VERY inexperience but promising Dcore. That leaves only 2 OA spots left for McIntyre, Lefebvre and Melee. I don’t think Purdeller will be back, sounds like he has a contract over in Europe waiting for him. We have to assume the captain will be back, so they have some tough choices next year. I would think there are a few other 2004’s around the league looking for a roster spot somewhere as well.

I think at least two or three 2008’s would have a spot on this team as well as they will be a big part of this push in a couple years, and you have to think a couple more 2007’s would crack this roster like Easton Lynds and Francis Parish. This team will be very heavy in 2007’s come opening day next year, which will still put them in tough for a playoff spot. They are clearly building for the 2007’s 19 year old season, so the 2008’s will be very important as well. Lets hope the draft goes well!
I agree with the points you made except they do not have a potential OA candidate on defense. They have 3 05's, 2 06's and 2 07's. So they will need to acquire one via a trade if they want to go that route.

peskypetes101

Mar 24, 2024
I agree with the points you made except they do not have a potential OA candidate on defense. They have 3 05's, 2 06's and 2 07's. So they will need to acquire one via a trade if they want to go that route.
Yes I believe they will target an OA dman but that is just speculation. There should be a few around the league that will be pinched out of a roster spot next year. I think it’s kind of the norm to have an experienced OA dman on every team that can kill penalties and provide some stability to the inexperienced backend.

Bowen looks like he may be ready to take the next step, hopefully Stzuska goes to a contender if they trade him, he will be missed. But you might as well get a return for him and free up that OA spot. Rye has been inconsistent this year but shows some promise, I think Mason Johnson might challenge for that backup position. He does fit the 2007 birth year mold, lol.

Reactions: Ogie Junior

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yes I believe they will target an OA dman but that is just speculation. There should be a few around the league that will be pinched out of a roster spot next year. I think it’s kind of the norm to have an experienced OA dman on every team that can kill penalties and provide some stability to the inexperienced backend.

Bowen looks like he may be ready to take the next step, hopefully Stzuska goes to a contender if they trade him, he will be missed. But you might as well get a return for him and free up that OA spot. Rye has been inconsistent this year but shows some promise, I think Mason Johnson might challenge for that backup position. He does fit the 2007 birth year mold, lol.
I am thinking they may add both an overage defenceman and a 18 or 19 year old defencemen for next season.
Based on my observations of the past month or so of Petes hockey, my guess is that 2024-25 will be another rebuilding year for the Petes but they will make the playoffs at least. The good news is that the group will grow together and then be a top team in 2025-26.

I'm very interested to see how Young and Taylor develop as skilled forwards, Addy as a power forward and Cameron as the prototypical defensive defenseman who plays big minutes and put up points. He has the potential to be a Makar.

And as good as we know McCallum is, I actually think he's better than we think he is. He has some sort of advanced ability to anticipate a play and has surprising strength for a small player. He reminds me a bit of Tucker Robertson but has a more purposeful edge to his game than maybe Tucker.

Similar to 2022-23, the Petes in 2025-26 will trade for some top players to load up and make a run.
I think the Petes will be better next year than many are predicting. I think we will see Jonathan Melee and Ryder McIntyre return as overages. Brayden McCallum is likely going to play centre going forward. I can see him taking a big step forward next year and he could provide similar offence to what Tucker Robertson did two seasons (2021-2022) ago. Caden Taylor is going to be a star. He is already drawing comparisons to Brennan Othmann. I think Jonathan Melee will rebound from his slump in the second half of the season and return to being the player he was in the first half. Ryder McIntyre will likely continue his offensive output from the second half of the season. Quinton Page will contribute. I also expect Aiden Taylor, Nico Addy and Joseph Cadorin to take big steps forward next year. They will likely be adding a franchise type player in the upcoming draft and another top player in the import draft. The defence will be a year older and all now have a years experience in the OHL. Carson Cameron, Liam Ladds, Grayden Strohack and Dylan Woulds are good young defenceman along with 19 year old Martin’s Matejicek and a couple of additions will be part of an improved defence. My hope is Zack Bowen can step up as our starting goaltender and either Easton Rye or Mason Johnston will be a quality backup. The likely will be adding a franchise type player in the first round and a good import in the import draft. Rob Wilson is a quality coach who gets the most out of his players. I don’t expect the Petes will be in the top four in the conference but I expect they will make the playoffs. Teams like North Bay, Ottawa and Sudbury will likely be rebuilding and along with Niagara will be competing with Peterborough for playoff positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogie Junior

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Chase Del Colombo will make the team and very likely start at 4C

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
LOL. Agreed. Too early to place a wager. We need an offseason first. I also agree about ability. My issue is the massive hole in ‘05s and ‘06s for Peterborough. It will be tough no matter what other teams decide to do. I cannot see the Petes making buyer additions to fill gaps. At best, they decide to not trade the returning OA’s in an effort to be somewhat competitive. But, with them still having some draft pick gaps, I think they will try to fill those gaps by trading the OA’s and bringing in some better value ones at a lower replacement cost.
In regards to the Petes overages. Jonathan Melee has made very clear he wants to return to the Petes for his overage year. I highly doubt he is traded. They will also keep Ryder McIntyre. They will likely trade for an overage defenceman. I expect they will trade Liam Sztuska and Chase Lefevbre. In regards to the Peterborough’s draft picks the only gap after this year is they are missing a 2nd in 2026, no 4ths until 2027 and a 5th in 2025. I don’t think they are concerned about missing their 4th and 5th in 2025 as they have two, 2nds and two, 3rds in that draft. In regards to missing a 2nd in 2026. They have three, 3rds in that draft and if they want to add a 2nd for that draft they could trade one of the two 2nds they have in 2025 for a 2nd in 2026 and likely get a 3rd or a 4th as well. The Petes will not be selling next year if anything they will add some experience on defence.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
In regards to the Petes overages. Jonathan Melee has made very clear he wants to return to the Petes for his overage year. I highly doubt he is traded. They will also keep Ryder McIntyre. They will likely trade for an overage defenceman. I expect they will trade Liam Sztuska and Chase Lefevbre. In regards to the Peterborough’s draft picks the only gap after this year is they are missing a 2nd in 2026, no 4ths until 2027 and a 5th in 2025. I don’t think they are concerned about missing their 4th and 5th in 2025 as they have two, 2nds and two, 3rds in that draft. In regards to missing a 2nd in 2026. They have three, 3rds in that draft and if they want to add a 2nd for that draft they could trade one of the two 2nds they have in 2025 for a 2nd in 2026 and likely get a 3rd or a 4th as well. The Petes will not be selling next year if anything they will add some experience on defence.
They will sell off veterans at the deadline again if there is a market for them

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I don’t know if I’m the only one , But isn’t 8 years just really excessive?

Like why ? He’s a great coach and you won the championship last year and I respect that but why 8 years ?

He’s also never won more than 38 games in a season and only won 20 games this season . Is that really worth an 8 year contract ?

just find this so unnecessary , like 4 years would of been fine, and say it doesn’t work out that’s so much dead money until 2032

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I don’t know if I’m the only one , But isn’t 8 years just really excessive?

Like why ? He’s a great coach and you won the championship last year and I respect that but why 8 years ?

He’s also never won more than 38 games in a season and only won 20 games this season . Is that really worth an 8 year contract ?

just find this so unnecessary , like 4 years would of been fine, and say it doesn’t work out that’s so much dead money until 2032
Wilson would have had a long list of opportunities on his lap.
I would bet Ahl, Echl, SHL, DEL teams all had come knocking.
8 years allows him to finish his coaching career in one spot and not up route his family.
I would bet that he left money on the table to stay in Peterborough as a family decision and the Pete's rewarded him for it with Term.

20 wins in a fire sale season would have zero affect on this negotiation. -It would not be his decision to sell half the team off for the future and everyone involved would clearly understand that.

You have a pro quality coach locked up for 8 years. -You should be very happy if you are a Petes fan.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Wilson would have had a long list of opportunities on his lap.
8 years allows him to finish his coaching career in one spot and not up route his family.
I would bet that he left money on the table to stay in Peterborough as a family decision and the Pete's rewarded him for it with Term.

20 wins in a fire sale season would have zero affect on this negotiation. -It would not be his decision to sell half the team off for the future and everyone involved would clearly understand that.

You have a pro quality coach locked up for 8 years. -You should be very happy if you are a Petes fan.
I agree. Rob Wilson is the best coach the Petes have had since Dick Todd. I am sure glad the Peterborough have signed him long term.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Maybe. It was rumored for quite a while that he wanted such an opportunity and he never took one.

I don't think his style fits the modern pro game or would work in the AHL or NHL, if it did, you'd see more successful pro teams employing his rope a dope, 27 scrums a night tactics at that level.

I think 8 years is insane.

Reactions: Tobyboy and Petes1

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
The Petes will select 3rd overall in the OHL Draft! As much as it may 'suck' to not have moved up into potentially first, this guarantees the Petes the chance at one of Adam Valentini or Braidy Wassilyn or Ethan Belchetz! Some would argue there is not necessarily a clear number 1 so potentially getting one of these guys is still exciting!

I guess we will find out April 12th!
1711581697336.png

1711581675585.png

Reactions: Zebra

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Petes will select 3rd overall in the OHL Draft! As much as it may 'suck' to not have moved up into potentially first, this guarantees the Petes the chance at one of Adam Valentini or Braidy Wassilyn or Ethan Belchetz! Some would argue there is not necessarily a clear number 1 so potentially getting one of these guys is still exciting!

I guess we will find out April 12th!
View attachment 842388
View attachment 842386
I would bet on one of these three names

Ethan Belchetz, Alessandro Di Iorio or Colin Fitzgerald

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I would bet on one of these three names

Ethan Belchetz, Alessandro Di Iorio or Colin Fitzgerald
ohl4life has Windsor lined up to take Belchzetz. Even with a 50/50 chance on Valentini/Wassilyn, is Di Iorio ahead of them?

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Maybe. It was rumored for quite a while that he wanted such an opportunity and he never took one.

I don't think his style fits the modern pro game or would work in the AHL or NHL, if it did, you'd see more successful pro teams employing his rope a dope, 27 scrums a night tactics at that level.

I think 8 years is insane.
sounds like an opinion from someone who Robs' team beats on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad