Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

armchaircoaches

Oct 24, 2022
Wouldn’t surprise me if his name is called in the later rounds of NHL draft in June having excellent season reminds me a lot of Andrew Shaw from Chicago

Reactions: cleodog

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
I agree he has a future in the leadership group for sure. But to me the future captain of this team is Carson Cameron
I agree with Cameron being a future leader. As for McCallum he needs to learn discipline if he wants to be a leader. Tough having your captain or alternate in penalty box or in stands because he’s suspended. Let’s not forget the Petes have lost a lot of games due to his selfish penalties throughout the season ultimately costing us from seeing them in playoffs this season. He’s second highest in the league in penalty minutes. That’s not leadership material other than leading undisciplined behaviours. I remember reading a post on here from a Sudbury fan saying they can’t wait to see the older brother leave as he’s another “penalty machine” which has cost Wolves potential success. Let’s hope moving forward we see more discipline! I believe we’re going to see a very good Petes team in the next few seasons and I’m excited for that!

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
I agree with Cameron being a future leader. As for McCallum he needs to learn discipline if he wants to be a leader. Tough having your captain or alternate in penalty box or in stands because he’s suspended. Let’s not forget the Petes have lost a lot of games due to his selfish penalties throughout the season ultimately costing us from seeing them in playoffs this season. He’s second highest in the league in penalty minutes. That’s not leadership material other than leading undisciplined behaviours. I remember reading a post on here from a Sudbury fan saying they can’t wait to see the older brother leave as he’s another “penalty machine” which has cost Wolves potential success. Let’s hope moving forward we see more discipline! I believe we’re going to see a very good Petes team in the next few seasons and I’m excited for that!
No doubt Mccallum needs to be more discipline in the future. His PIMs are way too high. But if you think he has cost the Petes more games than he has help have a chance to win, you must be watching a different team. That kid plays with his heart on his sleeve every shift . You try to take that out of him and you won’t have nearly as effective of a player. Luckily Rob Wilson sees this and lets him play his game. Regardless of the penalties. I believe he def will be a part of the leadership group going forward. Petes are lucky to have a throwback player like that in their lineup. It’s too bad for his brother in Sudbury. Prob could have had the same effect, but that coaching staff is busy sleeping behind the bench.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
No doubt Mccallum needs to be more discipline in the future. His PIMs are way too high. But if you think he has cost the Petes more games than he has help have a chance to win, you must be watching a different team. That kid plays with his heart on his sleeve every shift . You try to take that out of him and you won’t have nearly as effective of a player. Luckily Rob Wilson sees this and lets him play his game. Regardless of the penalties. I believe he def will be a part of the leadership group going forward. Petes are lucky to have a throwback player like that in their lineup. It’s too bad for his brother in Sudbury. Prob could have had the same effect, but that coaching staff is busy sleeping behind the bench.
I think every player on this team plays hard, they wouldn’t be Petes otherwise Rob Wilson wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t say he’s any different from any of them. He just plays over edge more often which costs us. I do believe he will mature as time goes on which he needs to do. We have seen others that are getting older on the team now who used to play over the edge in the past couple seasons and are now being very effective players without costing the team valuable playing time by having to be on penalty kill. I believe 29 will get his time to lead but I definitely wouldn’t reward a guy who lead the league in penalty minutes this year by making him a leader. What does that tell the future kids looking to make this league? Play like a goon and you’ll be a leader. That’s the wrong impression in my opinion. We’ve seen players stripped of a letter before because of lack of discipline so why reward an undisciplined player to lead the future of the team. I think anyone who doesn’t see this doesn’t understand ethics?

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
But if you think he has cost the Petes more games than he has help have a chance to win, you must be watching a different team. That kid plays with his heart on his sleeve every shift . You try to take that out of him and you won’t have nearly as effective of a player.
McCallum being the reason the Petes aren't in the playoffs is one of the more ridiculous things I've read on this board. I'll also add that he's "only" -7 for the season, tied with Melee for the best on the team among players who have been here all season - and the other forwards who have been with the team all year are not even close (Lefebvre -42, Page -30, Purdeller -28 etc...).

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It was also OHL Observer who had the mind numbing take that McCallum would be traded back in December, so that hate on has been consistent, if not a little personal.

It's also hilarious to go back and read some of the takes from late December where Petes fans are hoping to get Young OR Taylor (no imaginable thoughts of an Addy as well), while opposing fans are coming in telling them that even that return may be unrealistic.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I think every player on this team plays hard, they wouldn’t be Petes otherwise Rob Wilson wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t say he’s any different from any of them. He just plays over edge more often which costs us. I do believe he will mature as time goes on which he needs to do. We have seen others that are getting older on the team now who used to play over the edge in the past couple seasons and are now being very effective players without costing the team valuable playing time by having to be on penalty kill. I believe 29 will get his time to lead but I definitely wouldn’t reward a guy who lead the league in penalty minutes this year by making him a leader. What does that tell the future kids looking to make this league? Play like a goon and you’ll be a leader. That’s the wrong impression in my opinion. We’ve seen players stripped of a letter before because of lack of discipline so why reward an undisciplined player to lead the future of the team. I think anyone who doesn’t see this doesn’t understand ethics?
The PIMS are part of a smaller guy making room for himself in the ;league, showing he won't be intimidated. Some ar dumb for sure, but you would rather have a guy with fire than try to put fire into a guy. He is a way better player than i thought he was

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I think some forget McCallum is only 17 years old.
I bet you every GM in the league would take this kid on their team if they could get him.

Yes, He does need to learn to control his emotions a bit better but the motor on this kid is exceptional, finishes every check and makes the opponents think twice about going into the corner with him.
I have viewed every team in the OHL this season multiple times and have not come across a kid that works as hard as he does every single shift. -I'd put an A on that kid if he doesn't already have one next season.

Last edited:

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I bet you every GM in the league would take this kid on their team if they could get him.
It's just a foolish thing to say - plus the dislike of him by that poster goes back to December when the Petes were very safe in a playoff spot before all the trades. Since all the trades, he's been at worst one of the three best forwards on the team. I'd argue he's actually been the most consistent forward, despite only being 17.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Former Ottawa 67 and Barrie Colt RW Ethan Quick (2005) will be making his Petes debut wearing #10!
What is the story with him? Do the Petes now own his rights or does he play for an affiliate team and they were able to bring him up to fill in for players who are out of the lineup?

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
What is the story with him? Do the Petes now own his rights or does he play for an affiliate team and they were able to bring him up to fill in for players who are out of the lineup?
He is a quinte kid who was drafted by 67's, didn't see much playing time and was traded to the Colts. Same situation there. Went home and played for Wellington and they just finished last weekend. Decent player, good size, but I don't see him doing much more than these last few games and then an invite to camp

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021

Yes, He does need to learn to control his emotions a bit better but the motor on this kid is exceptional, finishes every check and makes the opponents think twice about going into the corner with him.
I have viewed every team in the OHL this season multiple times and have not come across a kid that works as hard as he does every single shift. -I'd put an A on that kid if he doesn't already have one next season.

Of course he gets an A next season. He works hard and this team is so horrible, who else would get one?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
We have some suspensions folks -

Strohack gets 4 games eligible to return game 3 in 2024-25

Page -suspension is TBD

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Of course he gets an A next season. He works hard and this team is so horrible, who else would get one?
The Petes are team that is young not horrible. They will be once again in contention within two years. Brayden McCallum is going to a force in the OHL both on offence and the physical game. With his heart and passion for the game he is a perfect candidate to be an alternate captain next year and possibly a future captain. A horrible team is a team like Niagara who has not made the playoffs since 2019. Peterborough on the other hand won the OHL last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zebra

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Lol. Niagara is awful and showed no signs of improvement again. There Pete’s actually showed signs of improvement down the stretch and won some games.
The Petes didn’t have the worst record since the Christmas break?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The Petes didn’t have the worst record since the Christmas break?
Teams can’t show signs of improvement without winning every game? Tell me a team that completely guts their team and replaces them with rookies and goes on to light it up.

Pretty sure they actually beat niagara the last time they played them.

Clown comment.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Teams can’t show signs of improvement without winning every game? Tell me a team that completely guts their team and replaces them with rookies and goes on to light it up.

Pretty sure they actually beat niagara the last time they played them.

Clown comment.
Also, from what I gather… Niagara is still having recruitment issues with the upcoming OHL draft. Sounds like the Petes aren’t having the same issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad