Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Quiet here…

Does finishing lower in the standings give you a high chance at 1st overall?

Who are the top four available players in the draft and who would the Petes most likely target?

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Quiet here…

Does finishing lower in the standings give you a high chance at 1st overall?

Who are the top four available players in the draft and who would the Petes most likely target?
Finishing last or as low as possible definitely has some positives. As per last years draft lottery:
- 20th overall has a 40% chance at 1st overall pick
- 19th overall has a 30% chance at 1st overall pick
- 18th overall has a 20% chance at 1st overall pick
- 17th overall has a 10% chance at 1st overall pick.

The top of this upcoming draft has underwent some recent changes but some form of the top 4 will most likely include Canada Adam Valentini (F), Canada Ethan Belchetz (F), Canada Braidy Wassilyn (F), Canada Zachary Nyman (D)

If the Petes had the 1st overall pick, you could truly not go wrong with any of these star forwards, but if I had to rank them based off who I *think* the Petes would take, it probably goes
1. Ethan Belchetz
2. Braidy Wassilyn
3. Adam Valentini

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Finishing last or as low as possible definitely has some positives. As per last years draft lottery:
- 20th overall has a 40% chance at 1st overall pick
- 19th overall has a 30% chance at 1st overall pick
- 18th overall has a 20% chance at 1st overall pick
- 17th overall has a 10% chance at 1st overall pick.

The top of this upcoming draft has underwent some recent changes but some form of the top 4 will most likely include Canada Adam Valentini (F), Canada Ethan Belchetz (F), Canada Braidy Wassilyn (F), Canada Zachary Nyman (D)

If the Petes had the 1st overall pick, you could truly not go wrong with any of these star forwards, but if I had to rank them based off who I *think* the Petes would take, it probably goes
1. Ethan Belchetz
2. Braidy Wassilyn
3. Adam Valentini
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
A wild game last night. Sudbury breakaways on Petes power plays, If we could have got the third goal might have got the win but one point to this team is a positive. Sudbury has a lot of top end talent, Bowen had a very good game. Overall considering what we have our guys played a good game.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Looks like they’re showing Taylor some tough love tonight making him the 13th forward and choosing to go short on D. I really hope they can get through to him and get maximum effort out of him. The kid is so talented and would likely be a lot higher in rookie scoring if he would just put forward any effort.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
He's starting today. I believe teams have to make their goaltenders beyond their top 2 available as emergency tenders. Gibbons of the Otters was with Hamilton or Missy for a few games last season.
The OHL needs to change the rules to allow an affiliate goaltender like Charlie Burns who is the property of Erie to be in the lineup in an emergency situation beyond the games an affiliate goalie is allowed to play instead of forcing a team who has only one goaltender to rely on other teams third string goalies. Another question is do these games that Easton Rye is in the lineup for the Otters count against the games he can be in the lineup for the Petes?

Last edited:

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
He's starting today. I believe teams have to make their goaltenders beyond their top 2 available as emergency tenders. Gibbons of the Otters was with Hamilton or Missy for a few games last season.
Missy, they also had Hildebrandt from the Colts last year.

Copied this from a London Free Press story from 4 years ago:

Eight years ago, Crisp, an Erie Otters centre, strapped on the pads when his team ran out of stoppers. For him personally, it turned out fine. He was shelled in a 13-4 loss in St. Catharines but was named the first star for making some nice saves and being a good sport.

The situation, however, was a black eye for the Ontario Hockey League and the Otters, who had a couple of days to secure a backup and couldn’t find one. Then-GM Sherry Bassin apologized for it and the league eventually loosened the rules around callups and allowed teams to lend other clubs goalies on a short-term basis.

As hard as it is for NHL teams to find proper emergency netminders, it’s even more difficult at the major junior level. The pool of available athletes is even smaller than the pros.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
The OHL needs to change the rules to allow an affiliate goaltender like Charlie Burns who is the property of Erie to be in the lineup in an emergency situation beyond the games an affiliate goalie is allowed to play instead of forcing a team who has only one goaltender to rely on other teams third string goalies. Another question is do these games that Easton Rye is in the lineup for the Otters count against the games he can be in the lineup for the Petes?
I believe they do. Erie has Burns and would’ve had him for a full 10 games had he not played for Niagara. Burns has 3 games left I believe.

Hopefully the Otters situation allows for that change to happen. This isn’t a normal circumstance. Of course our management the past 6-7 years hasn’t been great either.

Reactions: Roadhog

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I wonder how much of it has to do with the Meteors. I think the Otters could have signed Burns to an A card, but then the Meteors need to find another goalie. That's a tough ask.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I wonder how much of it has to do with the Meteors. I think the Otters could have signed Burns to an A card, but then the Meteors need to find another goalie. That's a tough ask.
I think the rules are too strict with affiliated players. I can understand the limit of ten games with underage players but if an older player has an opportunity to play Major Junior A they should have an opportunity to do so.

Last edited:

Pucks Deep

Apr 4, 2020
Looks like they’re showing Taylor some tough love tonight making him the 13th forward and choosing to go short on D. I really hope they can get through to him and get maximum effort out of him. The kid is so talented and would likely be a lot higher in rookie scoring if he would just put forward any effort.
That’s why Sudbury was ok to move him. Great shot! But the kid thinks he is way better than he is. Needs to earn it. I think you guys have the right coach to help develop him

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
According to the Examiner and Mike Davies, Caden Taylor sustained a lower body injury in Friday's game and was the '13th forward' for the purpose of being a game time decision, where he ultimately did not play. I won't speculate further but it's of course possible to healthy scratch as well.

Grayden Strohack, and Dylan Woulds also dealing with upper and lower body injuries

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
12 games left...what are you hoping to see?

I would like to see them get one home win. I think they could realistically win 2 (maybe 3) of the their remaining games. I just hope at least one is at home.

I'd like to see Binnie get a goal before the season is over.

I don't care much about whether they finish in last place (I expect they will).

EDIT: I'd also like to see McCallum back and healthy for the last bit.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
12 games left...what are you hoping to see?

I would like to see them get one home win. I think they could realistically win 2 (maybe 3) of the their remaining games. I just hope at least one is at home.

I'd like to see Binnie get a goal before the season is over.

I don't care much about whether they finish in last place (I expect they will).

EDIT: I'd also like to see McCallum back and healthy for the last bit.
McCallum did play the weekend games in Sudbury and SOO which is great to see because leading up to the injury, he was really starting to find his game with points and physical play!

I have to echo your 'at least one more home win' sentiment as this would be a nice thing to see. Crowds have still been great and this would be a nice little boost for this young team as well as build some more excitement for next year.

For me I am 100% prepared and expect this team to miss this playoffs and if so, I really want them to finish dead last for the best possible chance at Ethan Belchetz, Adam Valentini, Braidy Wassilyn.

I don't have any direct tangible goals but over these 12 games I really just want to see the young guns finish strong and play big minutes. Cameron, Taylor, Young, Addy, Ladds, Cadorin, McCallum etc have all done very well in this second half under the current circumstances. This team was always destined to and frankly built to lose and these young players have been put in a lot of tough situations, yet they do not quit. That is probably the most encouraging thing that I have seen in this second half. #NoQuit #PeskyPetes #GoPetesGo

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Told you
I guess it's best to let the press tell you first, Zebra and hockey pops

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
thats not the league, thats the ohf and hockey canada. burns still has games remaining, they are allowed 10 and he's played 7. if you have a good relationship with the affiliate they will let the player go during a game day, but its the choice of the affiliate, as per the rule.

thats the argument. once the a card is registered with the affiliate, they are in the drivers seat. they could ask for the standard 1500, but some ask for 15000. its the wild west.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad