Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Priority Selection site is the only one that currently ranks him and they have him 4th. 3rd amongst forwards, 2nd if we don't count college committed Stranges. Is that a fair ranking? Good size and it could be easy to sell him on coming here.

I just hope they draft a forward and trade for a proven veteran defenceman. Adding another young rookie defenceman isn't likely going to change much for next season, especially with Supryka and possibly O'Toole already coming in.

I agree. I think the only way you take a D is if it's Drysdale.

The Russian F could be an easy sell with Gogo, SDA and Babintsev already here.

Reactions: Petes1

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Thank goodness there's only a week left. I try to stay positive, but this is unreal. 20 straight road losses. Completely dominated by the only team below them in the conference. I would imagine every player can't wait for this to be over.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Thank goodness there's only a week left. I try to stay positive, but this is unreal. 20 straight road losses. Completely dominated by the only team below them in the conference. I would imagine every player can't wait for this to be over.

Getting rid of Jody sure made a difference. Now we know coaching wasn't the problem.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
It showed Verner wasn't a better option. Not sure we should have been expecting him to be. It was an attempt to spark the team, didn't work out. It's unfortunate, but this roster should not be finishing 18 points behind North Bay.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
“If” they get a good coach you’ll see the difference a good coach can make with all due respect to Verner. It IS a difference maker!!

Absolutely it is. I want John Dean from the Patriots in the OJHL or Jason Fortier from the BCHL.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely it is. I want John Dean from the Patriots in the OJHL or Jason Fortier from the BCHL.
ive heard really good things about both especially the Fortier guy know a player that played for him in Q when they went to memorial cup he could really help them, is young and can relate to these kids im finding that the old school coaches dont seem to work as well with kids nowadays look at top teams in ohl today i think most coaches are young guys...the old days of the killer, templeton, todd scaring guys into listening to them through various "drills" and "workouts" lol are done ......unfortunately!!! discipline through hard work im a big fan of maybe some dont agree....

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
call me crazy but im really excited about this team moving forward...the draft to add to their young group and get a young coach to influence these guys and teach a SYSTEM(s) that they can use to move forward. I may be in the minority here but i think regardless of recent results I believe this team has potential moving forward if the right coach is brought in with a fresh start setting the tone immediately in the summer reach out to players and set the tone before camp even starts!! I expect the Petes to have their coach in short order after the season is over if they wait this one out itll be a big problem

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
call me crazy but im really excited about this team moving forward...the draft to add to their young group and get a young coach to influence these guys and teach a SYSTEM(s) that they can use to move forward. I may be in the minority here but i think regardless of recent results I believe this team has potential moving forward if the right coach is brought in with a fresh start setting the tone immediately in the summer reach out to players and set the tone before camp even starts!! I expect the Petes to have their coach in short order after the season is over if they wait this one out itll be a big problem
I'm in that minority with you, lots of optimism should be around this team.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Exactly. Which is why I've tried to stay optimistic. The younger group of players looks really solid. I think if they can bring in the right coach and finally get some structure in place there's no reason they couldn't push for a top 4 spot in the conference next year. If they hire someone early, let him get his own staff in place and really take charge and start a new era, they should be in good shape. I could see it being a rough start to the season, especially if Jones is thrown in as # 1, he'll need more time to get used to it, but I could also see them getting hot around Christmas, kind of like the team last season. Lots to look forward to, once this final week is done lol

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
It showed Verner wasn't a better option. Not sure we should have been expecting him to be. It was an attempt to spark the team, didn't work out. It's unfortunate, but this roster should not be finishing 18 points behind North Bay.

I like that Verner has played some of the younger kids more, but I think whatever problems were there were such that a simple coaching change at mid season, especially to a guy who had been there for so long, could only do so much. I'm glad they at least tried to spark them and weren't afraid to make a change. But a whole new regime (coaching, at least, I don't have a big issue with GM, and I think his contract was extended) is what they need and they need to do it quickly. I don't think they can afford to go with the "safe" option. They need to take a bit of a chance and bring in someone who has a real vision for the team and isn't afraid to make it happen.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I really don't like the "it's because we have a bad coach" narrative that a lot of fans seem to use. Last year Jody was nominated for coach of the year and now suddenly he's the worst coach of all-time. I mean, look down the street. Oshawa didn't even have their coach for 1 game this year and are fighting for home ice in the last week of the season with just having 2 very inexperienced assistant coaches run the show all year, and we were projected by most to be much better than them this year.

Does having a good coach help? For sure. But should you need an NHL level coach to get elite junior players (which is what we had this year) to not miss the playoffs? Absolutely not

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I really don't like the "it's because we have a bad coach" narrative that a lot of fans seem to use. Last year Jody was nominated for coach of the year and now suddenly he's the worst coach of all-time. I mean, look down the street. Oshawa didn't even have their coach for 1 game this year and are fighting for home ice in the last week of the season with just having 2 very inexperienced assistant coaches run the show all year, and we were projected by most to be much better than them this year.

Does having a good coach help? For sure. But should you need an NHL level coach to get elite junior players (which is what we had this year) to not miss the playoffs? Absolutely not
sure and coach of the year usually goes to the guy who lifts their team highest from the previous years record which is really all they can assess BUT we all know that to be a good coach there is way more than just rising in the standings...if you really watched this team you would have seen tons of deficiencies that were exposed by mississauga and id argue that they got to that position based on talent only and when it got heated up this team could not change their style to match they were too easy to defeat in the end did same things game in game out. The same thing happened at beginning of this year with a team that should have been contenders but....again....after october teams adjusted and all that was left was the talent and with a good system petes fell apart were too predictable with the hull style and im afraid verner inherited that style no changes...they need a new guy with several approaches to a game it was sickening to watch the same game time after time after time no discipline at tall rode vets rookies sat. If they get a good coach you will see the difference and understand come december as Willard stated above. Systems and a disciplined group will always beat out talent that just goes out and runs around like petes have for last few years

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I really believe the defense was the biggest issue this season....I’m talking team defense and PK, but especially the defensemen.
Look at the “experience” the Dmen had before the season started.....
Black GP 185 - 16
Osmanski GP 120 + 7
Timms GP 185 - 2
Fraser GP 111 - 8
Chisholm GP 41 - 1
McNamara GP 4 + 1
Beraldo GP 0
Babintsev GP 0
Supryka GP 0

Black would be a solid #5, but as an OA he needs to be your top shutdown Dman or your top offensive Dman.

In the right situation Osmanski is a nice piece to have but with so many inexperienced D plus injuries, he was relied on too much and that affected his effectiveness.

No one expected Timms to take such a big step back. He was disappointed that Vegas didn’t allow him on the ice at training camp after being checked out by their doctors. Then he breaks his ankle early and was never able to get on track. In a season where he was going to be leaned on to be a DEFENSIVE leader, after a season where he was protected defensively (Jenkins), that early season injury was a killer.

Fraser just makes me scratch my head. IMO, getting drafted by the Red Wings was the worst thing that could have happened for his development. He plays like he is better than his teammates and, despite his experience, he continues to struggle with defensive positioning. I believe that if he wasn’t drafted he would be working harder and be more of a team guy.

Chisholm definitely has the potential to be a top offensive Dman in the league but injuries hurt his progress this season. A likely 2nd round pick.....I have no idea when he will be drafted now.

McNamara has impressed. Despite his decent offensive ability, he is not flashy and has worked hard to develop. A few other players could learn from his example.

Beraldo has shown flashes of good play and with more time he should become a good shutdown Dman.

Babintsev has been solid IMO. Returning next year, with a better idea of what to expect, he should take a big step forward.

Supryka is a wildcard for me. His play at the end of this season will create a bigger logjam on the back end. If he can put on some more height, weight and strength this offseason, that will make a big difference. He has already shown he has the tools.

So next year’s D (pairing L and R shots) might look like.......
L - R
Osmanski (OA) McNamara
Chisholm Fraser
Beraldo Babintsev
Supryka
O'Toole

Notes:
- Timms not returning
- enough young quality Dmen so I hope the Petes go with a forward with their first pick
- some trades will likely need to be made to help clear the logjam

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I really believe the defense was the biggest issue this season....I’m talking team defense and PK, but especially the defensemen.
Black GP 185 - 16
Osmanski GP 120 + 7
Timms GP 185 - 2
Fraser GP 111 - 8
Chisholm GP 41 - 1
McNamara GP 4 + 1
Beraldo GP 0
Babintsev GP 0
Supryka GP 0

Black would be a solid #5, but as an OA he needs to be your top shutdown Dman or your top offensive Dman.

In the right situation Osmanski is a nice piece to have but with so many inexperienced D plus injuries, he was relied on too much and that affected his effectiveness.

No one expected Timms to take such a big step back. He was disappointed that Vegas didn’t allow him on the ice at training camp after being checked out by their doctors. Then he breaks his ankle early and was never able to get on track. In a season where he was going to be leaned on to be a DEFENSIVE leader, after a season where he was protected defensively (Jenkins), that early season injury was a killer.

Fraser just makes me scratch my head. IMO, getting drafted by the Red Wings was the worst thing that could have happened for his development. He plays like he is better than his teammates and, despite his experience, he continues to struggle with defensive positioning. I believe that if he wasn’t drafted he would be working harder and be more of a team guy.

Chisholm definitely has the potential to be a top offensive Dman in the league but injuries hurt his progress this season. A likely 2nd round pick.....I have no idea when he will be drafted now.

McNamara has impressed. Despite his decent offensive ability, he is not flashy and has worked hard to develop. A few other players could learn from his example.

Beraldo has shown flashes of good play and with more time he should become a good shutdown Dman.

Babintsev has been solid IMO. Returning next year, with a better idea of what to expect, he should take a big step forward.

Supryka is a wildcard for me. His play at the end of this season will create a bigger logjam on the back end. If he can put on some more height, weight and strength this offseason, that will make a big difference. He has already shown he has the tools.

L - R
Osmanski (OA) McNamara
Chisholm Fraser
Beraldo Babintsev
Supryka
O'Toole

Notes:
- Timms not returning
- enough young quality Dmen so I hope the Petes go with a forward with their first pick
i agree and im sure first pick other than if drysdale falls to them will be a forward big guy i hope and 2nd pick likely a good dman with size..word is draft is deep..id send fraser to a windsor or erie which should bring back a serviceable dman in return he needs a new team id say as well

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
i agree and im sure first pick other than if drysdale falls to them will be a forward big guy i hope and 2nd pick likely a good dman with size..word is draft is deep..id send fraser to a windsor or erie which should bring back a serviceable dman in return he needs a new team id say as well

I hear that Byfield kid is pretty big! :sarcasm:

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
sure and coach of the year usually goes to the guy who lifts their team highest from the previous years record which is really all they can assess BUT we all know that to be a good coach there is way more than just rising in the standings...if you really watched this team you would have seen tons of deficiencies that were exposed by mississauga and id argue that they got to that position based on talent only and when it got heated up this team could not change their style to match they were too easy to defeat in the end did same things game in game out. The same thing happened at beginning of this year with a team that should have been contenders but....again....after october teams adjusted and all that was left was the talent and with a good system petes fell apart were too predictable with the hull style and im afraid verner inherited that style no changes...they need a new guy with several approaches to a game it was sickening to watch the same game time after time after time no discipline at tall rode vets rookies sat. If they get a good coach you will see the difference and understand come december as Willard stated above. Systems and a disciplined group will always beat out talent that just goes out and runs around like petes have for last few years

I dont think you understand my point. I wasnt saying Jody was a great coach or that he shouldnt have been fired. Was simply just that not having a great coach shouldnt take a team from Eastern favs to not even making the playoffs. If you go on any forum here, there will be fans complaining about their coach. At the end of the day, you dont go from being pre-season favs of winning the whole conference (and that was even before we knew Korostelev was coming back) to not even making the playoffs because of an experienced coach. It's the easy excuse to make because there's no way to prove it. But at hte end of the day, we're the Petes. We're not going to get NHL level coaches here. We need the players to be able to compete because they have the drive to do so and that just didnt happen this year

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Black GP 185 - 16
Osmanski GP 120 + 7
Timms GP 185 - 2
Fraser GP 111 - 8
Chisholm GP 41 - 1
McNamara GP 4 + 1
Beraldo GP 0
Babintsev GP 0
Supryka GP 0

L - R
Osmanski (OA) McNamara
Chisholm Fraser
Beraldo Babintsev
Supryka
O'Toole

Notes:
- Timms not returning

solid post except for the "No one expected Timms to take such a big step back" line. Is there anyone else on here that didnt see that coming? He got a ton of powerplay assists last year and suddenly people thought he was a Norris candidate. Hes never been a good defenceman. Hes runs the PP well, that's about it. He'd never be a top 2/4 D on a good team

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I dont think you understand my point. I wasnt saying Jody was a great coach or that he shouldnt have been fired. Was simply just that not having a great coach shouldnt take a team from Eastern favs to not even making the playoffs. If you go on any forum here, there will be fans complaining about their coach. At the end of the day, you dont go from being pre-season favs of winning the whole conference (and that was even before we knew Korostelev was coming back) to not even making the playoffs because of an experienced coach. It's the easy excuse to make because there's no way to prove it. But at hte end of the day, we're the Petes. We're not going to get NHL level coaches here. We need the players to be able to compete because they have the drive to do so and that just didnt happen this year
ok i disagree with all due respect i do think its the coach and we'll know once they get the right guy as you say going from pre season favs to not making the playoffs screams something went wrong internally and to me its the coach...again not competing is an internal thing more of a culture which needs changing which a new good coach will bring and dont kid yourself good coaches like challenges if they come out of it its way more of a statement then taking a decent team and being mediocre.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
ok i disagree with all due respect i do think its the coach and we'll know once they get the right guy as you say going from pre season favs to not making the playoffs screams something went wrong internally and to me its the coach...again not competing is an internal thing more of a culture which needs changing which a new good coach will bring and dont kid yourself good coaches like challenges if they come out of it its way more of a statement then taking a decent team and being mediocre.

So then how do you explain Oshawa this year, who I tihnk we're more talented then (pre-Ang trade) who didnt even have coach all season, and neither one of their assistants have any experience? Under that theory, they should've been a tire fire this year

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
solid post except for the "No one expected Timms to take such a big step back" line. Is there anyone else on here that didnt see that coming? He got a ton of powerplay assists last year and suddenly people thought he was a Norris candidate. Hes never been a good defenceman. Hes runs the PP well, that's about it. He'd never be a top 2/4 D on a good team
usually when a guy just explodes out for a crazy season it sometimes follows by mediocrity which is what happened look at erik karlsson this year he is missing his d partner huge!! no fault of timms but he did get frustrated i think with vegas and it settled into his game then he was just sent out again and again and again by hull compounding the problem imo

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
So then how do you explain Oshawa this year, who I tihnk we're more talented then (pre-Ang trade) who didnt even have coach all season, and neither one of their assistants have any experience? Under that theory, they should've been a tire fire this year
you are anwsering your own question....again, if the players dont like the coach they arent going to play for him so if you want to compare with oshawa who id say had harmony on their team whether their head coach was there or not its a big part of success...to me it was clear the petes didnt want to play under hull got tired of his same old approach and guys lost interest verner comes in with, what is see,other than young guys playing more, a similar style...the only way we will solve this discussion is if they bring in a new coach althoghter and staff and they improve otherwise ..i just dont believe that all of a sudden the same players are bad now??!! is that what you are alluding to that hull should have stayed ? but the players all of a sudden are bad? sem, gogo, parker jones, all on watch list robertson has 30pts as a rookie doesnt look bad to me cant change players gotta change coach or do you think all the players are bad?? because if you wanted to keep hull and they continue on thats what you think the problem is? not being smart, really want your opinion thanks!

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
you are anwsering your own question....again, if the players dont like the coach they arent going to play for him so if you want to compare with oshawa who id say had harmony on their team whether their head coach was there or not its a big part of success...to me it was clear the petes didnt want to play under hull got tired of his same old approach and guys lost interest verner comes in with, what is see,other than young guys playing more, a similar style...the only way we will solve this discussion is if they bring in a new coach althoghter and staff and they improve otherwise ..i just dont believe that all of a sudden the same players are bad now??!! is that what you are alluding to that hull should have stayed ? but the players all of a sudden are bad? sem, gogo, parker jones, all on watch list robertson has 30pts as a rookie doesnt look bad to me cant change players gotta change coach or do you think all the players are bad?? because if you wanted to keep hull and they continue on thats what you think the problem is? not being smart, really want your opinion thanks!

No im fine with firing Hull, clearly it wasnt working. Im just saying that acting like this is 100% (or even 70%) Hull's fault and not putting it on the players, is insane to me (not saying youre doing this foghorn, but its the common excuse for a lot of people on here). And on this board, all I ever see is people saying "oh we're bad because of Hull, let Verner take over" 2 weeks later: "Oh we're bad because of Verner, we need a new coach".

Are Hull and Verner the best coaches ever? Certainly not. But you'd also like your players to be able to work with what they have and make it work, especially since the majority of this team (and all the key pieces) were returning from having success with Hull the year prior.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
No im fine with firing Hull, clearly it wasnt working. Im just saying that acting like this is 100% (or even 70%) Hull's fault and not putting it on the players, is insane to me (not saying youre doing this foghorn, but its the common excuse for a lot of people on here). And on this board, all I ever see is people saying "oh we're bad because of Hull, let Verner take over" 2 weeks later: "Oh we're bad because of Verner, we need a new coach".

Are Hull and Verner the best coaches ever? Certainly not. But you'd also like your players to be able to work with what they have and make it work, especially since the majority of this team (and all the key pieces) were returning from having success with Hull the year prior.
ah yes i get you for sure the players have let verner and the fans down not working hard to seasons end i agree there is more talent on this team than is showing you and i both hope with a new coach they will be inspired to learn and put it together for each other next season not a good way to end.. i agree square corners

Reactions: Square Corners

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

No offence, but if you've ever played competitive sports then you would or should know the impact a good coach can make. I honestly think having good coach can be the difference between finishing first and missing the playoffs.

Reactions: dirty12 and Petes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad