Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Players have now left for NHL prospects camps

Cornel - Buffalo (hosting own tournament with Boston and New Jersey)
Lorentz - Carolina (Traverse City with Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota, New York Rangers, Columbus)
Masin - Tampa (hosting own tournament with Nashville, Washington and Florida)
Spencer - Tampa (hosting own tournament with Nashville, Washington and Florida)
Lizotte - Toronto (London with Montreal, Ottawa and Pittsburgh)
Mancina - Detroit (Traverse City with Carolina, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota, New York Rangers, Columbus)

Jenkins is going straight to Carolina's main camp in a couple of weeks

good luck to them all hope they all make it to their respective NHL main camps

Best of luck to all of the guys, just be back for the 24th. :D

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Players still with the Petes

15 forwards - Garlent, Betzold, Cornel, Maguire, Lorentz, Coyle, Denoble, Ang, Timleck, McPhail, Schultz, McKinnon, Gallant, Clarke, Issacson

8 defensemen - Jenkins, Masin, Watson, Spencer, Lizotte, Timms, Grima, Fraser

3 goalies - Mancina, Smith, Wells

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Hey Petes fans, Bolts fan checking in. Just wondering what the expectations are for Masin and Spencer this year. Any set roles? Will either be in a leadership position? What are y'all expecting as far as points go? Anything else you can tell me about them would be greatly appreciated!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Players still with the Petes

15 forwards - Garlent, Betzold, Cornel, Maguire, Lorentz, Coyle, Denoble, Ang, Timleck, McPhail, Schultz, McKinnon, Gallant, Clarke, Issacson

8 defensemen - Jenkins, Masin, Watson, Spencer, Lizotte, Timms, Grima, Fraser

3 goalies - Mancina, Smith, Wells

Has Gentles been released? I didn't see them post anything about that..

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Hey Petes fans, Bolts fan checking in. Just wondering what the expectations are for Masin and Spencer this year. Any set roles? Will either be in a leadership position? What are y'all expecting as far as points go? Anything else you can tell me about them would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there, I will try my best to answer your questions here..

- Expectations: To be honest if Masin is returned to us and doesn't make the AHL I fully expect Masin/Spencer to make up the first pairing for us. They will almost certainly log the most minutes on the team in all situations. (PP, PK, Even)

- Leadership: pretty sure Spencer wore an 'A' last season and will be in the running for the 'C' this year. If he isn't voted captain however, he will most definitely wear an A. Not sure about Masin but he has been a leader at the international level with the Czech Republic.

Masin (30-35)

One thing to keep an eye on with these guys this season is we've never really had a good D coach since they've been here... That changed this offseason when we hired Jake Grimes from the now extinct Belleville Bulls. That hiring should be great for heir confidence and development.

Hope this helps MattM92, cheers.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It looks like Gentles was assigned to the Pickering Panthers of the OJHL.

That's too bad I really liked his game. Smart puck mover.

Wasn't likely he was going to steal a job from Fraser or Grima though... Now this team just REALLY needs Masin to come back and not make the AHL.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Hello there, I will try my best to answer your questions here..

- Expectations: To be honest if Masin is returned to us and doesn't make the AHL I fully expect Masin/Spencer to make up the first pairing for us. They will almost certainly log the most minutes on the team in all situations. (PP, PK, Even)

- Leadership: pretty sure Spencer wore an 'A' last season and will be in the running for the 'C' this year. If he isn't voted captain however, he will most definitely wear an A. Not sure about Masin but he has been a leader at the international level with the Czech Republic.

Masin (30-35)

One thing to keep an eye on with these guys this season is we've never really had a good D coach since they've been here... That changed this offseason when we hired Jake Grimes from the now extinct Belleville Bulls. That hiring should be great for heir confidence and development.

Hope this helps MattM92, cheers.

Thank you for all of that info, Petes! I'm hoping they both get a leadership role this year and that's great news about the new defense coach. I'll be keeping tabs on the both of them for sure and probably checking back in here a few times throughout the season to get more input on them. Unfortunately, the only tracking I can do is via boxscores.

Thanks again for the info! Cheers :cheers:

elindros

Oct 24, 2011

Last season there were a bunch of "phantom" assistant captains after the trade deadline. The season started with a captain (Connor Bolland) and two assistants (Nick Ritchie and Hunter Garlent). Once Bolland and Ritchie were traded there were no replacements for the leadership roles as per say.

There was no one other than Garlent that wore a letter on his jersey but the coaching staff identified assistant captains on the game sheet in case they were needed in the game.

The leadership on this club has been suspect to criticism for several years now and the coaches have been waiting for some players to emerge as leaders on the club. For the first time in a long time you are going to see a leadership group that will be effective on and off the ice this season.

Spencer definitely will be in consideration for one of those roles. Masin not so much because of the language barrier.

Masin is going to be counted upon to be a point producer because of the lack of scoring up front. Don't be surprised to see him in the 40-50pt total.

Spencer is another offensive minded player that will more than likely total 30-40pts.

The biggest thing about both of them that will need to be addressed and worked will be their defensive zone coverage. They may very well draw the top lines but that will result in their plus/minuses being affected. Please keep that in mind when checking their stats throughout the season

guy97

from sarnia
Apr 16, 2015
Last season there were a bunch of "phantom" assistant captains after the trade deadline. The season started with a captain (Connor Bolland) and two assistants (Nick Ritchie and Hunter Garlent). Once Bolland and Ritchie were traded there were no replacements for the leadership roles as per say.

There was no one other than Garlent that wore a letter on his jersey but the coaching staff identified assistant captains on the game sheet in case they were needed in the game.

The leadership on this club has been suspect to criticism for several years now and the coaches have been waiting for some players to emerge as leaders on the club. For the first time in a long time you are going to see a leadership group that will be effective on and off the ice this season.

Spencer definitely will be in consideration for one of those roles. Masin not so much because of the language barrier.

Masin is going to be counted upon to be a point producer because of the lack of scoring up front. Don't be surprised to see him in the 40-50pt total.

Spencer is another offensive minded player that will more than likely total 30-40pts.

The biggest thing about both of them that will need to be addressed and worked will be their defensive zone coverage. They may very well draw the top lines but that will result in their plus/minuses being affected. Please keep that in mind when checking their stats throughout the season

is mcphail still with petes.:amazed:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Isaacson re-assigned to the Muskies.

Forwards remaining (14):

Garlent, Betzold, Lorentz, Cornel, Ang, Timleck, DeNoble, Gallant, Maguire, Schulz, Coyle, Clarke, McKinnon, McPhail.

Ideally.. Atleast in my opinion, these things happen before the season starts:
1. McKinnon gets sent down
2. McPhail gets released
3. Trade for an OA F.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
There's no point adding an OA until they know what kind of team they will have this season.

Ranger fan

Dec 15, 2014
There's no point adding an OA until they know what kind of team they will have this season.
I remember a while back talk on here about a D man Liggett, noticed he is playing in the Q , he is 6'5 right D, which are hard to find. Seems like a miss on Petes part. If he can play in the Q why did Petes not take a look?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I remember a while back talk on here about a D man Liggett, noticed he is playing in the Q , he is 6'5 right D, which are hard to find. Seems like a miss on Petes part. If he can play in the Q why did Petes not take a look?

Our blue line is very deep with young talent as it is. Makes sense for the kid to sign elsewhere for better playing time and development opportunities.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Isaacson re-assigned to the Muskies.

Forwards remaining (14):

Garlent, Betzold, Lorentz, Cornel, Ang, Timleck, DeNoble, Gallant, Maguire, Schulz, Coyle, Clarke, McKinnon, McPhail.

Ideally.. Atleast in my opinion, these things happen before the season starts:
1. McKinnon gets sent down
2. McPhail gets released
3. Trade for an OA F.

look for McPhail to be a Peterborough Pete tomorrow. Sorry he won't be released he is much needed on this club and will be a valuable part of the club moving forward

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
look for McPhail to be a Peterborough Pete tomorrow. Sorry he won't be released he is much needed on this club and will be a valuable part of the club moving forward

I just fail to see how a guy that was flat out cut by the Saginaw Spirit in favour of some sixteen year olds is going to be a "valuable part of the club." If he is not going to be a solid top six scorer is he even really worth taking icetime away from Timleck, Gallant, Clarke, Schulz etc? :help:

Hopefully he proves me wrong, good luck Adam..

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
I just fail to see how a guy that was flat out cut by the Saginaw Spirit in favour of some sixteen year olds is going to be a "valuable part of the club." If he is not going to be a solid top six scorer is he even really worth taking icetime away from Timleck, Gallant, Clarke, Schulz etc? :help:

Hopefully he proves me wrong, good luck Adam..

you're acting like you know the situation in Saginaw? He was not cut from Saginaw as you will see that a trade had to be made to get him. He didn't come for free. He has played 50 more games in the OHL more than everyone you mentioned other than Timleck. There is no way that he will take ice time away from Timleck or Gallant. The latter two are going to have to work to get their icetime as will McPhail.

You have not watched him in an exhibition game yet so relax on your judgment of him. We have no depth down the right side and he is needed.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
you're acting like you know the situation in Saginaw? He was not cut from Saginaw as you will see that a trade had to be made to get him. He didn't come for free. He has played 50 more games in the OHL more than everyone you mentioned other than Timleck. There is no way that he will take ice time away from Timleck or Gallant. The latter two are going to have to work to get their icetime as will McPhail.

You have not watched him in an exhibition game yet so relax on your judgment of him. We have no depth down the right side and he is needed.

I just think that there must be better options out there if Oke wants to make this team a competitive one in its 60th season.

Yet again, I hope he proves me wrong and I look forward to watching him closely in the next exhibition game.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
I just think that there must be better options out there if Oke wants to make this team a competitive one in its 60th season.

Yet again, I hope he proves me wrong and I look forward to watching him closely in the next exhibition game.

Well your points are exactly what Oke is doing. Are you more satisfied with having a rookie in the line-up then to have an experienced player in the line-up?

I for one would rather see our 16 year olds playing big minutes in Tier II then to have them play limited roles in the OHL. Just my opinion on this. We are one of the few teams that keep four 16 year olds around and play them.

You are going to see Isaacson surpass the likes of Clarke in development because of him going to Lindsay. This method has been proven already throughout the league and should be done more with this team. Schultz will and is a better player after playing a year of Tier II. Its a tough task to ask players to step out of minor midget into the OHL to play against 18-20 year old men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad