Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Only just overv2,400 at the game. What is it with you fans there. This kind of attendance lIke you have been getting for years now would mean a lost of the team in many other cities.

Very sad for game 6 in the playoffs. Not sure they care if this team is moved somewhere....

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I attended the first two playoff games and at least dropped $50 per game. Not that it's a big deal and the entertainment value is definitely there. I pay through Cogeco to watch the Petes games as well and I assume the Petes receive no money from that but get some marketing value. However the Petes have people who are paid to market the team so why are we worried about it? Are we really at risk of losing the Petes in Peterborough?

Game four was a sell-out and we were loud - but we lost 2-0. Last night we get a smaller crowd and the Petes played amazing to come back from a 3-0 deficit. The players often say it's best to have a large crowd to cheer them on which is true. but otherwise who cares if we don't get bigger crowds- the marketing is not my job as a fan! That's on the Peterborough Petes.

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
Here is my point in2012 the Petes Dave Reid picked Eric CORNELL with the 3rd overall pick a good pick his 25th pick overall was Josh MaGuire? say what? yes Battalion took Kyle Wood d with the57th pick but Mike AMADIO went 36th overall the draft is everything you need to get it right with your early picks. Yes we could have had Amadio and Cornel wow.So when I hear the Petes ist round pick is not in the top 21 players I get a little nervous. Why do they think they are smarter than all the other scouts especially when we have won one playoff series in nine years?

looking back at the 2012 draft, Dave Reid even went a little off the board with cornel at #3. guys who went after him in the next few picks i would rather have, mccann, Ho-sang, fabbri, dal colle. maguire was a 4th or 5th rounder and reid went out of his way to take a kid with ties to peterbrough (his father). the pets have had a tough time drafting no matter who is in charge. even Gallant has been an utter disappointment. hopefully that changes this year in the draft.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I attended the first two playoff games and at least dropped $50 per game. Not that it's a big deal and the entertainment value is definitely there. I pay through Cogeco to watch the Petes games as well and I assume the Petes receive no money from that but get some marketing value. However the Petes have people who are paid to market the team so why are we worried about it? Are we really at risk of losing the Petes in Peterborough?

Game four was a sell-out and we were loud - but we lost 2-0. Last night we get a smaller crowd and the Petes played amazing to come back from a 3-0 deficit. The players often say it's best to have a large crowd to cheer them on which is true. but otherwise who cares if we don't get bigger crowds- the marketing is not my job as a fan! That's on the Peterborough Petes.

Well, I think the problem with not getting bigger crowds is a legitimate risk of the franchise folding. The board insist they are financially sound, but it's hard to imagine how that is possible. The lack of funds is most likely the reason Oke and Hull haven't been fired despite their mediocrity. How could they pay severance, plus new salaries? They already had to do that when they fired Reid and Pelino.

Attendance is among the lowest in the OHL. The age of the crowd is very senior citizen oriented. Some of them will be unable to attend games in a few years time. Not trying to be mean, but that's reality when people are in their 60's and 70's. It is also partially due to the demographics that the arena often sounds quiet. Those folks for the most part are very much "Canadian" fans- clap politely for a goal, nothing more.

There are not a lot of young people at the games. When you attend a Lakers lacrosse game in the summer, it is packed with kids, teens and those in their 20's. You don't see a lot of that at Petes games. Part of that, I think, is due to the city. Peterborough consistently ranks near the bottom (or top, depending on how you look at it) for unemployment rates. Many jobs in the city are of a minimum wage variety and that doesn't afford people the opportunity to go and pay $20+ for a ticket to a game. Not when there is rent to be paid and food to be eaten.

In addition, I think many fans have become apathetic due to the general incompetence that has been the hallmark of the franchise the past 10 years or so. Aside from the outstanding comeback from 3-0 to Kingston a couple years ago, the team has had no success on the ice. There always seems to be players wanting out. The GM fails to make moves when the team has a legit shot at the East title (this season). The same sort of mistakes are made over and over and over and there is no accountability (for players or coaches or management). I can't blame fans for not wanting to support them.

Also, the Memorial Centre is a relic now and it's tougher to get top prospects wanting to come here when they can get a first class, professional style experience in places like London or Windsor. The arena will just keep deteriorating.

So I think it's a serious possibility the franchise could be gone within a few years. On ice, next season will most likely have them back to fighting for the 7th or 8th playoff spot and it will be another rebuild. I can't really blame fans for not coming out when there are legitimate factors not to (finances, not wanting to endorse/support a consistently incompetent regime).

That being said, if you suffer through a lot of terrible games, one like last night is a great reminder how fun it can be when the games mean something. It would have been nice if there were a few hundred more there (I expected 3000+), but I don't hold it against those who decided not to come. I don't buy into the idea that "you're not a real fan if you don't go to the games". I think it's up to each person to decide when and if they want to support them.

Bottom line, I really hope they pull out game 7 tomorrow night because it would be a lot of fun to see another round. Especially since it could well be against Kingston, and that's been a great rivalry the past couple of years.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Getting back to last nights' game, the fight between Gallant and Ball changed everything. The Petes were a different team after that one. And they sure found a hole in Smith by going upstairs on him. Hopefully they keep that going tomorrow night.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
looking back at the 2012 draft, Dave Reid even went a little off the board with cornel at #3. guys who went after him in the next few picks i would rather have, mccann, Ho-sang, fabbri, dal colle. maguire was a 4th or 5th rounder and reid went out of his way to take a kid with ties to peterbrough (his father). the pets have had a tough time drafting no matter who is in charge. even Gallant has been an utter disappointment. hopefully that changes this year in the draft.

I disagree with you on Eric Cornel. He has been one of the best captains the Petes have had in awhile. In that draft the Petes were looking for more of two way player. I glad the Petes did not draft Josh Ho-Sang. He may play well offensively, but he is not a complete player, like Eric is. Eric actually was as good offensively this year. Jared McCann or Robbie Fabbri might have been better picks, but they would have been lost to the NHL this season.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Very sad for game 6 in the playoffs. Not sure they care if this team is moved somewhere....

There would be a lot of people upset if the team moved. This is likely not going to happen in the near future. Because of the ownership structure the Petes are more secure in Peterborough, as the goal is not to make a profit. That being said the team will likely turn a profit this season. The reason I believe this is the fact the crowds were up in the 2nd half were up and the advertising money the teams receive.

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
I disagree with you on Eric Cornel. He has been one of the best captains the Petes have had in awhile. In that draft the Petes were looking for more of two way player. I glad the Petes did not draft Josh Ho-Sang. He may play well offensively, but he is not a complete player, like Eric is. Eric actually was as good offensively this year. Jared McCann or Robbie Fabbri might have been better picks, but they would have been lost to the NHL this season.

Are you saying you would Rather have cornel then dal colle who i believe went 7th or 8th? He has been a better player then cornel every single year for 4 straight seasons. It isn't just cornel though, Maguire was a brutal pick as he was basically a first rounder since he went like 2nd overall in the 2nd round, and the rest of the draft was brutal. Is there even another player from thag draft on the roster ?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Are you saying you would Rather have cornel then dal colle who i believe went 7th or 8th? He has been a better player then cornel every single year for 4 straight seasons. It isn't just cornel though, Maguire was a brutal pick as he was basically a first rounder since he went like 2nd overall in the 2nd round, and the rest of the draft was brutal. Is there even another player from thag draft on the roster ?

I am not sure Michael Da Colle would have reported. He was only only slightly better that Eric Cornel, based on his stats, this year. In regards from players from that draft on the roster. As for Josh Maguire. The Petes had hoped to take Spencer Watson with that 2nd pick, 25th overall and Kingston took him at 24th overall. The Petes had to make a quit decision and took Josh with that pick. Yes he would have been available in later rounds and they could have had Mike Amadio instead, but that happens in the draft. Even Dick Todd made mistakes in the draft from time to time. Steve Lorentz was drafted in that draft. Anthony Stefano also was drafted that year and would still be on the roster had he accepted the fact that he was a 3rd line centre on this team.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
It's incredibly difficult to assess 18 year olds when NHL teams are drafting, even more difficult when picking 15/16 year olds. In my honest opinion the Petes have had great service out of Cornel - 213 points in 265 OHL games. Sometimes more valuable than the player who plays 2 or 3 seasons then off to the NHL.

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
I am not sure Michael Da Colle would have reported. He was only only slightly better that Eric Cornel, based on his stats, this year. In regards from players from that draft on the roster. As for Josh Maguire. The Petes had hoped to take Spencer Watson with that 2nd pick, 25th overall and Kingston took him at 24th overall. The Petes had to make a quit decision and took Josh with that pick. Yes he would have been available in later rounds and they could have had Mike Amadio instead, but that happens in the draft. Even Dick Todd made mistakes in the draft from time to time. Steve Lorentz was drafted in that draft. Anthony Stefano also was drafted that year and would still be on the roster had he accepted the fact that he was a 3rd line centre on this team.

I agree overall you got good service from cornel, although dal colle is the better player cornel has been a good player and leader. On maguire, while it sucks that Watson was picked right before them, it was just a terrible pick regardless of scrambling. If someone took your player right before and you don't know what to do you should be taking BPA. This was completely off the board. I could find 5 guys in each of the 3rd 4th and 5th round I would have Rather had at the time of the draft and now. It's these kind of picks that hindered this organization.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Congrats to the boys on a great season. I wish the graduating players nothing but the best in whatever comes next for them... They will certainly be missed.

Big season for a lot of guys next year. Young guys turn to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino