Confirmed with Link: Peter DeBoer named new head coach. Gerard Gallant, & Mike Kelly out.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Smith was never this good of a 2 way player. And I wonder what this means for Marchessault. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved out now. Kelly McC you are on the clock. Let's see how long until SinBinKenny gets you fired too.
(I would have threatened to step down if I were him)

It isn't totally coming from nowhere. This team was bad and mediocre for all of last season. This team was bad or mediocre for all of this season. Gallant did not adjust a lot to these things. One defensive adjustment that whole time? He seemed a coach very stuck in his ways and we've seen with Babcock and countless coaches, you have to evolve and then you have to continue to evolve. Once you stop you fall behind.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Is it possible that this was a
GMKM "Hey Gerard, I need you to fire Mike Kelly."
HCGG "Nope, not going to do it."
GMKM "Ok, you're fired too!"

I think it's possible. Gallant probably knows he could get work somewhere else and take Kelly with him. Maybe he wasn't thinking a new team was all that terrible an idea.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There is no "evolving" a coach can do to fix a roster that includes this group of d-men. That's some evolution needed from the front office.
I disagree in that regard while maintaining that Gallant still earned more time to figure it out.

There are some fundamental issues with this team that have been going on for a full season and a half that Gallant just wouldn't adjust to and that's not just defensively.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It isn't totally coming from nowhere. This team was bad and mediocre for all of last season. This team was bad or mediocre for all of this season. Gallant did not adjust a lot to these things. One defensive adjustment that whole time? He seemed a coach very stuck in his ways and we've seen with Babcock and countless coaches, you have to evolve and then you have to continue to evolve. Once you stop you fall behind.

DeBoer's evolution was a joy to watch....

Reactions: Ginger Papa

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Babcock is (allegedly) a psychopath. You'd be stuck in your ways too if you never got a much needed top 4 RD in your lineup.

The team was (originally) built around Turk's lunchpail mentality and their only superstar player is MAF. You want an elite gamebreaker you'd better hope the team freefalls and drafts one or they hit the jackpot in free agency. Until then it's all about fighting tooth and nail for top 3 seed in a weak division waiting for your prospects from a very recent draft to start making an impact.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Just listening to Mcrimmon talk about this and I really don't think he and McPhee think there is a real problem with the roster. The way he's talking it's like he expected the roster they constructed to win the President's Trophy.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I’m stunned and not in a good way. Gallant is a great coach. Not happy about this at all. Players better pull their heads out of their asses and start winning some games now.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think what this boils down to is that management wants a taskmaster behind the bench, and Gallant's position as a player's coach has worn thin. Too many fundamental level flaws persist with no real improvement and all we get after losses is that Turk thought we played well, very many times "well" being a gross overstatement.

We don't know exactly what was going on behind closed doors but the fact that this happened so abruptly, I have to think that management made demands of him to be more demanding of his players and he refused to change. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Edit: posting this crashed my computer so either I'm incredibly right, or exceedingly wrong.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Just listening to Mcrimmon talk about this and I really don't think he and McPhee think there is a real problem with the roster. The way he's talking it's like he expected the roster they constructed to win the President's Trophy.

They put themselves in a cap crunch, hoping 2-3 rookies could be fast tracked to ELC success. That didn't happen, and now they have no patience?

He's just covering for Foley being meddlesome IMO. STH were beating* down his door about the poor starts and he thinks he can get a Cup this year.

*tweeting

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think what this boils down to is that management wants a taskmaster behind the bench, and Gallant's position as a player's coach has worn thin. Too many fundamental level flaws persist with no real improvement and all we get after losses is that Turk thought we played well, very many times "well" being a gross overstatement.

We don't know exactly what was going on behind closed doors but the fact that this happened so abruptly, I have to think that management made demands of him to be more demanding of his players and he refused to change. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Edit: posting this crashed my computer so either I'm incredibly right, or exceedingly wrong.

Not as abruptly as you think. They already had DeBoer lined up before they pulled the trigger.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not as abruptly as you think. They already had DeBoer lined up before they pulled the trigger.
True, when I say abrupt I mean...coaches generally tend to get fired after longer stretches of mediocrity. The Knights still have the best offensive effort in the league. They've just been lacking the execution. Some tweaks in the game preparation could have gone a long way and I do think Gallant was capable of making them. Or maybe he thought he was doing nothing wrong and management got fed up.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
DeBoer's evolution was a joy to watch....

It's different for us. I'm not happy it's DeBoer, I'm not in agreement that Gallant should have been fired this season. At least on the surface, if they told him he needed to get more out of our stars and be more of a boss than a friend and he said no then they wanted to fire Kelly and he said no then you have to show the chain of command and can understand that.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
They put themselves in a cap crunch, hoping 2-3 rookies could be fast tracked to ELC success. That didn't happen, and now they have no patience?

He's just covering for Foley being meddlesome IMO. STH were beating* down his door about the poor starts and he thinks he can get a Cup this year.

*tweeting

Agreed. It now looks like we have an ownership problem. Which pretty much means we will not be winning the SC as long as Foley is around to screw things up.

Firing Gallant is extremely questionable. Replacing him with DeBoer is absolute terrible and negligent.

Our once promising franchise looks fooked at this point.

Reactions: GKG18

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
It's different for us. I'm not happy it's DeBoer, I'm not in agreement that Gallant should have been fired this season. At least on the surface, if they told him he needed to get more out of our stars and be more of a boss than a friend and he said no then they wanted to fire Kelly and he said no then you have to show the chain of command and can understand that.

I read it differently. I think they've been working on this since CBJ. Terms with DeBoner included him bringing in his own assistant, so Kelly had to go, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad