Player Discussion Peter Chiarelli transaction trackers

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Some good comments in here. I love the work that Chia has done. There are about 4-5 regular posters who need to go into a classroom and write "The GM's primary job is not to win trades" 100 times on the blackboard.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Thanks for this JTS. I don't follow transactions closely like some here do, so it's nice to have it in 1 place. Hopefully the thread won't degenerate into you know what.

thanks for the complement

I hope this does not get ugly and mods are forced to close it

this thread will he updated with signings and what not

when I have the time I will make tables and add stuff

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only bad trades were the Hall and Reinhart trades.

Never should've traded for Reinhart in the first place unless it was only maybe a 2nd rounder only.

If he was going to trade Hall he should've had more coming back. Just wish it was Hall and Yakupov for Subban and 3rd.

But the Talbot trade is beyond the best because now as we speak Talbot is worth a 1st and a promising B+ Prospect.

The Yakupov trade is kinda lopsided because he really did try to get more but just couldn't, unless he tried in the 2015 off-season to trade him.

The signings though are really good, just don't know if any of them would've happened if it weren't for McDavid. Hoping he signs McDavid to a contract that makes him never want to leave Edmonton, and I'm talking $11M for 15 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well that's after winning the cup. You're gonna lose FAs and trades after you win the cup because your mortgaging your future to win now.

Chia hasn't won the cup here and we're already doing that. It's OK to some extent but I think he is a bit too far on the spectrum away from prudent trades.
We should be more desperate to win now than anybody.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
The only bad trades were the Hall and Reinhart trades.

Never should've traded for Reinhart in the first place unless it was only maybe a 2nd rounder only.

If he was going to trade Hall he should've had more coming back. Just wish it was Hall and Yakupov for Subban and 3rd.

But the Talbot trade is beyond the best because now as we speak Talbot is worth a 1st and a promising B+ Prospect.

The Yakupov trade is kinda lopsided because he really did try to get more but just couldn't, unless he tried in the 2015 off-season to trade him.

The signings though are really good, just don't know if any of them would've happened if it weren't for McDavid. Hoping he signs McDavid to a contract that makes him never want to leave Edmonton, and I'm talking $11M for 15 years.

the minute we won the draft lotto for McDavid, it was obvious we became a BIT less of a leper city to FA's.

We still are the most northern location and a candaian city with no nfl or nba or ncaa sport teams, no celebs, no real night life, no huge elite social mecca.

McDavid helps people be more willing to spend 8-9 months in Edmonton.

I like that Chia is making hockey trades. That means --if the trade strengthens the team than do it. period.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Ive noticed it's hard to look at the trades without looking at the signings that happened moments after.

Hall for Larsson was an epic loss in isolation. But Lucic washes it out and makes us better.

Yak for nothing seems awful but signing Versteeg and Russel makes it a win.

I think people generally overvalued Hall around these parts due to his pedigree and the expectations that went with it. In reality Hall has been a 70-80 point player throughout his career, pretty suspect defensively and a winger to boot. Larsson is a very good defenseman, not a franchise guy, but a legitimate no.2 on most teams. Signing Lucic, as you pointed out, effectively makes it Hall for Lucic and Larsson, which makes for a better team. I also liked the fact that he moved out all the underperformers like Schultz and Yakupov. It was time and Chiarelli showed he's no afraid of making tough calls.
Reinhart was a gamble, to be sure, which may or may not pay out, but if he does take a step forward in the next year or two, he could be a huge boost to this defenisive core.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't really care about the Reinhart trade. You win some, you lose some. It's bound to happen when you need to turnover so much garbage accumulated by MacT, and Howson.

i feel the same way. They traded picks. valuable picks, but picks nonetheless. Yakupov was the latest reminder in the Oilers' glorious draft history of the past decade why one should not overvalue picks over players, even if these picks are high 1st rounders. I think Chiarelli does not hold draft picks in same regard as Lowe, MacT, and Tambellini did before him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'm pretty ambivalent on the trade. There's very little evidence the Oilers would've drafted the players the Isles did, or that they'd develop them properly. Reinhart probably won't amount to much but I'm honestly not bothered by it.
Yeah totally. Since you'll probably just piss your paycheck away on ponies and beer, you may as well just give it away to me instead :nod:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Hall+Yakupov+16th+33rd for Larsson and 3rd round pick. Way to go chiaturd.

Since you are so critical of Chia's asset valuation, let's turn the light on you and how you rate players.

Oilers:

2007 Gagner (bust)
2008 Eberle (worthless one dimensional winger)
2009 Pääjärvi (bust)
2010 Hall (worthless injury prone one dimensional winger, should have picked Tyler)
2011 RNH (one dimensional midget center, should have picked Landeskog instead
Klefbom (worthless, bottom pairing on any decent team)
2012 Yakupov (bust)
2013 Nurse (bust)
2014 Draisaitl (bust)
2015 McDavid (overrated, could be next Daigle)

Whoops.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't really care about the Reinhart trade. You win some, you lose some. It's bound to happen when you need to turnover so much garbage accumulated by MacT, and Howson.

Wait. You win some and you lose some? So Chia's made no good trades (a couple fireable offences), but it's forgivable because the old gms made bad trades and signings too? What has he done that's good so far? Am I missing something? Drafted McDavid? Got McLellan to come here because McDavid was here? Lucic was signed by McDavid and so was McLellan and that's not on Chiarelli

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Ive noticed it's hard to look at the trades without looking at the signings that happened moments after.

Hall for Larsson was an epic loss in isolation. But Lucic washes it out and makes us better.

Yak for nothing seems awful but signing Versteeg and Russel makes it a win.

I think an under valued part of the Hall-Larsson trade was the culture change aspect. Chia made it clear he wanted to change the team culture. Taking that element into consideration makes the trade much more respectable.

None of us are in the locker room, but Chia is. Gotta give him credit for taking that into account when making the trade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think an under valued part of the Hall-Larsson trade was the culture change aspect. Chia made it clear he wanted to change the team culture. Taking that element into consideration makes the trade much more respectable.

None of us are in the locker room, but Chia is. Gotta give him credit for taking that into account when making the trade.

Four things lead to the Hall trade
1) The Joker fell to us at the draft
2) As I posted before--at the world championships in russia--everyone I talked to said Lucic was a slam dunk to the Oilers
3) We had waited a long time to find a RHD who can play hard minutes every night--
4) Getting MCDavid--for ten years the oilers rebuild just sucked--the McDavid draft reset the organization and we were given the chance to redo the rebuild

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Four things lead to the Hall trade
1) The Joker fell to us at the draft
2) As I posted before--at the world championships in russia--everyone I talked to said Lucic was a slam dunk to the Oilers
3) We had waited a long time to find a RHD who can play hard minutes every night--
4) Getting MCDavid--for ten years the oilers rebuild just sucked--the McDavid draft reset the organization and we were given the chance to redo the rebuild

How does getting a great RW prospect lead to trading your best LW?

Lucic coming to the Oilers definitely played a role in the Hall trade, that's why people can't look at the Hall trade in isolation.

Yes, the team has needed D help for a long, long time.

I get that missing the playoffs sucks, but it was only seven years of actual rebuild. The Oilers were in an uber funk in 06-07 from losing Pronger. The next two seasons they were competitive, both seasons team points were in the 80s. 07-08 they actually finished ninth in the conference. The rebuild started in earnest with the 09-10 season.

As much as it pains me to say it, KLowe was a decent GM. Pronger was a steal, but the Blues were definitely moving him and it wasn't guaranteed he was going to the Oilers. Peca/Roloson and the other in season deals put that team over the top.

KLowe has been atrocious as a POHO in picking Tambo and MacT as GMs plus his public comments have been really, really demeaning.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Lucic coming to the Oilers definitely played a role in the Hall trade, that's why people can't look at the Hall trade in isolation.

I get that missing the playoffs sucks, but it was only seven years of actual rebuild. The Oilers were in an uber funk in 06-07 from losing Pronger. The next two seasons they were competitive, both seasons team points were in the 80s. 07-08 they actually finished ninth in the conference. The rebuild started in earnest with the 09-10 season.

As much as it pains me to say it, KLowe was a decent GM. Pronger was a steal, but the Blues were definitely moving him and it wasn't guaranteed he was going to the Oilers. Peca/Roloson and the other in season deals put that team over the top.

KLowe has been atrocious as a POHO in picking Tambo and MacT as GMs plus his public comments have been really, really demeaning.

For me it is looking at the bigger picture

We had after the draft and with the rumours of Lucic coming
Nuge-Leon D-McDavid
Pouliot-Lucic-Hall
Eberle-The Joker-Yak

good news we could have three lines that could score--bad news we would have no D

Top line of Lucic-McDavid-Eberle/Leon D
Second Line Pouliot-Nuge-Leon D/Eberle

and we addressed our D need of a RHD who can play 20 to 25 minutes a night

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm one of the few that likes the Reinhart trade when it was made. My only problem with it was that he's another LD and would have to pass Klefbom, Sekera and Nurse on the depth chart. Now it seems like Reinhart lost his will to improve himself and seems content with his current situation.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wait. You win some and you lose some? So Chia's made no good trades (a couple fireable offences), but it's forgivable because the old gms made bad trades and signings too? What has he done that's good so far? Am I missing something? Drafted McDavid? Got McLellan to come here because McDavid was here? Lucic was signed by McDavid and so was McLellan and that's not on Chiarelli

Talbot trade was good. Maroon trade was stellar. I liked the Kassian one too. And guess what? I like the Hall trade. You won't even give him credit for any good signings. Hilarious. Sorry guy, but I'm not going to cry into my cheerios over the Reinhart trade. You can, but it's not that big a deal to me.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I'd rather have Chia, who loses the occasional trade, than MacT, who lost EVERY trade.

That's not true at all. Both Perron trades were good. Brossoit and Hendricks were good acquisitions. Roy was good while he was here. There were trades that didn't work out but there was certainly no track record of losing trades let alone every trade.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Before Chia arrived this organisation was in a dark place. Let's face facts the MacT era was a disaster and we completely lacked direction.
Chia has come into a bad situation but worked to a philosophy that you can't do the same things and expect different results.
A year and a half later we certainly are not close to the finished article but I feel we have made some strides in the right direction.
Chia has made some good trades, at least one unpopular trade, and one trade that doesn't look good at this stage.
The Taylor Hall trade, I personally hated when I first heard but soon realized that we had to make a move like that to move forward. The d core just had to be upgraded or nothing was going to change.
It's easy for posters to criticize trades and say we should we should be acquiring this guy for this asset etc but these are just fantasy in most cases.
The Yak trade simply had to be done, the team had to move on and the player needed to get a fresh start. If there was a better deal out there for Yak, Chia would have taken it.
The Reinhart trade doesn't look good at all right now and Chia needs to take some responsibility for that. He almost definitely listened too much to others within the organisation but I'll bet he has learn his lesson on that one.
Chia has acquired some good players such as Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Lucic, Cagiula, Benning who all look like they can be key pieces going forward but has had to give up some assets in the process but that's how things work. It's too early to judge the drafting but the early signs are good.
The time to judge Chia will be a couple of years from now, but as I see it he has a definite vision and is making good progress towards it. If anyone does not think this team is better now than it was a year ago I simply do not know what to say. I feel more positive than I have done in a long time and would be shocked if we don't move up the standings with the changes made.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Kevin Lowes atrocious drafting is what led us here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad