Player Discussion Peter Chiarelli transaction trackers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
a few threads have been taken down and away from their original purpose and so I figured Peter Chiarelli should have his own thread tracking trades, free agent signings and other moves he has made as out GM--will make a table later
M7m3FmN.gif

Fri, Oct 7 2016 Zach Pochiro, LW and a 3rd - from the Blues for Nail Yakupov

Fri, Oct 7 2016 Kris Russel D signed 1y 3.1mill

Fri, Sep 9 Kris Versteeg, RW - Invited to Training Camp Professional try-out contract(deported to Calgary for crimes against humanity)

Sat, Aug 27 Matthew Benning, D - Signed as Free Agent Two-year contract
July 29, 2016 Resigned David Musil

Sun, Jul 3 Taylor Beck, RW - Signed as Free Agent One-year contract

Fri, Jul 1 Mark Fraser, D - Signed as Free Agent One-year contract

Fri, Jul 1 Jonas Gustavsson, G - Signed as Free Agent One-year contract

Fri, Jul 1 Milan Lucic, LW - Signed as Free Agent Seven-year contract

Wed, Jun 29 Adam Larsson, D from the devils - for Taylor Hall

Mon, Jun 27 Iiro Pakarinen, RW - Re-Signed One-year contract

June 24/25 NHL Entry draft selections
1 Jesse Puljujarvi R
2 Tyler Benson L
3 Markus Niemelainen D
3 Matthew Cairns D
3 Filip Berglund D
5 Dylan Wells G
5 Graham McPhee L
6 Aapeli Rasanen C
7 Vincent Desharnais

Mon, Jun 20 Jordan Oesterle, D - Re-Signed One-year contract

Fri, Jun 17 Tyler Pitlick, RW - Re-Signed One-year contract

Thu, May 19 Zack Kassian, RW - Contract extended One-year contract extension

Mon, May 9 Patrick Russell, RW - Signed as Free Agent Two-year contract

Sat, May 7 Drake Caggiula, C - Signed as Free Agent Two-year contract

April 8, 2016 Signed D Caleb Jones to a three-year entry level contract and G Nick Ellis to a two-year entry level contract .

February 29, 2016 Claimed F Adam Cracknell off waivers from Vancouver and D Adam Pardy off waivers from Winnipeg. Re-signed D Brandon Davidson and G Laurent Brossoit to two-year contract extensions.

February 29, 2016 Patrick Maroon from the ducks for Martin Gernat and a 4th

February 27, 2016 Niklas Lundstrom and a 5th for Andre Nilsson

February 27, 2016 2016 3rd round pick From Pens for Justin Schultz

February 27, 2016 2016 3rd rounder from Florida for Teddy Purcell

February 24, 2016 2017 5th rounder From Vancouver for Philip Larson
January 17, 2016 Signed G Cam Talbot to a three-year contract extension.

December 28, 2015 Zack Kassian from Montreal for Ben Scrivens

September 20, 2015 Signed D Oscar Klefbom to a seven-year contract extension.

July 6, 2015 Andres Nilson from the Hawks for Liam Coglian

July 16, 2015 Agreed to terms with F Tyler Pitlick on a one-year contract.
July 15, 2015 Agreed to terms with D Justin Schultz on a one-year contract.
July 4, 2015 Agreed to terms with C Connor McDavid on a three-year entry-level contract.
July 2, 2015 Signed D Andrej Sekera to a six-year contract and C Mark Letestu to a three-year contract.

June 30, 2015 Lauri Korpikopsi from the Coyotes for Boyd Gordon

June 26–27, 2015 NHL Entry draft

1 Connor McDavid C
4 Caleb Jones D
5 Ethan Bear D
6 John Marino D
7 Miroslav Svoboda G
7 Ziyat Paigin

June 27, 2015 Eric Gryba from the Sens for Travis Ewanyk and a 2015 4th rounder

June 27, 2015 2015 4th round pick from the leafs for Martin Marincin and Brad Ross

June 27, 2015 Cam talbot and a 7th rounder from NYR for 2015 2nd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick and 2015 7th round pick

June 26, 2015 Griffen Reinhart from the NYI for 2015 1st round pick and 2015 2nd round pick

June 22, 2015 Fired head amateur scout Stu MacGregor, head pro scout Morey Gare, amateur scouts Brad Davis and Kent Hawley, pro scout Dave Semenko and director of coaching and special projects Billy Moores.

June 8, 2015 Signed D Brad Hunt and F Andrew Miller to one-year contracts.

June 4, 2015 Announced associate coach Keith Acton and assistant coach Craig Ramsay will not return for the 2015-16 season.

May 19, 2015 Named Todd McLellan coach.

May 12, 2015 Signed G Eetu Laurikainen to a two-year, entry-level contract.

On April 24, 2015, the Edmonton Oilers announced Chiarelli's hiring as General Manager and President of Hockey Operations.

figured there should be a thread just to argue about chia pets transactions

yes--I am sure I missed a few so after insulting me--let me know which I missed so I can add them

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Signed Taylor Beck FA July 16, 2016 edit:you got him there nm
Resigned David Musil July 29, 2016

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I think Chiarelli kinda jumped the gun on Anders Nilsson. He had a rough stretch there when he let in some goals from behind the net. His faults I feel could have been corrected and will be a great backup. He even played lights out for a stretch.

Justin Schultz was a lost cause only because he was a 3rd pairing dman but put on 1st and given way to many minutes. Then Schultz completely quit on the team and just waited for a trade. I'm really hoping on Filip Berglund comes here and ends up lighting it up being our RHD PP superstar just to bury the nightmare of Justin Schultz. Really like the Berglund pick.

So far in all I'm really pumped with the way this team has shaped up this off season. I've got the feeling Chiarelli is really pushing hard to get this team in the playoffs this year.

BTW thanks jumptheshark for the effort put in making this thread. Nice to have a easy access look at the massive amount of work Chiarelli has gone through to make this team.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I like all of the moves other than the terrible Reinhart deal

I don't mind getting Reinhart, just the cost was idiotic. I'm convinced with the speculation that this really wasn't his trade, but other Oilers management. So I'll overlook this transaction.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Ive noticed it's hard to look at the trades without looking at the signings that happened moments after.

Hall for Larsson was an epic loss in isolation. But Lucic washes it out and makes us better.

Yak for nothing seems awful but signing Versteeg and Russel makes it a win.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Ive noticed it's hard to look at the trades without looking at the signings that happened moments after.

Hall for Larsson was an epic loss in isolation. But Lucic washes it out and makes us better.

Exactly. People like to jump on the trade but there is ALWAYS a reason for it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Great GMs tend to get value in their trades AND sign FAs for zero assets.

The team improves but not as much as it would have if the trade was relatively even in isolation.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for this JTS. I don't follow transactions closely like some here do, so it's nice to have it in 1 place. Hopefully the thread won't degenerate into you know what.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

Yeah, I think Chia's philosophy of building a TEAM is clear in all his moves. Sure he paid a high price for Larsson but I still don't think a lot of fans really get how huge a get a young, big, cap-controlled, right-handed defensive defenseman was.

If you want to obsess about 'winning' every trade you end up with Tambo/MacT: unable to make a real move, and convincing yourself each off-season that you're better by making an analytics driven UFA signing that no one else wanted.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't really care about the Reinhart trade. You win some, you lose some. It's bound to happen when you need to turnover so much garbage accumulated by MacT, and Howson.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't really care about the Reinhart trade. You win some, you lose some. It's bound to happen when you need to turnover so much garbage accumulated by MacT, and Howson.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the trade. There's very little evidence the Oilers would've drafted the players the Isles did, or that they'd develop them properly. Reinhart probably won't amount to much but I'm honestly not bothered by it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Great GMs tend to get value in their trades AND sign FAs for zero assets.

The team improves but not as much as it would have if the trade was relatively even in isolation.
Not in the cap world. Stan Bowman who's the arguably the most successful gm in the cap era has probably lost more trades than anyone.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I think Chia's philosophy of building a TEAM is clear in all his moves. Sure he paid a high price for Larsson but I still don't think a lot of fans really get how huge a get a young, big, cap-controlled, right-handed defensive defenseman was.

If you want to obsess about 'winning' every trade you end up with Tambo/MacT: unable to make a real move, and convincing yourself each off-season that you're better by making an analytics driven UFA signing that no one else wanted.

A lot of fans saw this scenario coming, the team was going to have to lose a big trade in order to address needs. Yes it sucks but that's just how it is.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Not in the cap world. Stan Bowman who's the arguably the most successful gm in the cap era has probably lost more trades than anyone.

Well that's after winning the cup. You're gonna lose FAs and trades after you win the cup because your mortgaging your future to win now.

Chia hasn't won the cup here and we're already doing that. It's OK to some extent but I think he is a bit too far on the spectrum away from prudent trades.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well that's after winning the cup. You're gonna lose FAs and trades after you win the cup because your mortgaging your future to win now.

Chia hasn't won the cup here and we're already doing that. It's OK to some extent but I think he is a bit too far on the spectrum away from prudent trades.

The team needs to get better and they need to do it now while McDavid still likes it here. There's been zero natural progression with this team and at some point we have to jumpstart the roster. This is a desperate GM and he absolutely SHOULD be desperate. The instant McDavid thinks about going elsewhere this franchise is done.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
A few moves that aren't looking too positive right now. But when I look at our roster compared to when Chia first arrived, it does look much improved.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I like all of the moves other than the terrible Reinhart deal

ditto

I don't mind getting Reinhart, just the cost was idiotic. I'm convinced with the speculation that this really wasn't his trade, but other Oilers management. So I'll overlook this transaction.

i watched it live and am convinced that Chias expression said everything we need to know. he was not happy with the trade and not happy that his Draft day was done.

Its a part of the evaluation

personally i think 4M a year for 7 years is a very nice part of that transaction for a key RHD who might be a #2. Thats a steal contract for a team that will have some cap issues ahead.

Yak has been worthless since 2014

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
A lot of fans saw this scenario coming, the team was going to have to lose a big trade in order to address needs. Yes it sucks but that's just how it is.

Great point and i remember this board talking about it at length.

the majority view was this team was s$%^ because our GMs refsed to make a risk trade where it seemed like you lost the trade. The GMs were in fear of losing assets in a lost trade. so we continued to suck and develop and suck

The Hall trade was one of those trades. But looking at it with some hockey sense...BEFORE even taking in just how BADLY and URGENTLY the Oilers needed a solid top RHD...You look at how much a top D costs, RHD even more, for trade and for contract. Then you look at grabbing Larsson.
Then add in that you have the ability to fill the wing hole
then add in the absolute urgency and black hole internally at that position you acquired.
Then you add in that the position you traded from is going to be stronger in 24 hours.

its a big picture but alot of us were screaming for a guy to make a proper hockey trade for this team and... if they had to lose the trade TODAY than so be it. We hoped the trade would be won down the line.

this is a trade that makes sense and fits those opinions.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

i dont want prudent. i want a proper team. if guys dont fit...send them out.

dont waste McDavids time with people that arent in our picture.

Chia is making the team immediate. No time to waste. If he does it well McD might take a mill or 2 off his contract because he has faith we correct issues right away and that THE TEAM is the most important thing to the GM.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Chia definitely has lost quite a few trades but you can definitely see he has a vision. He has added character (Lucic, Russell, Maroon, Versteeg?). That should help on and off the ice. He also seems to be moving players that don't potentially fit the coaches system. He seems to want guys that are two way players and willing to make sacrifices and ones that won't cheat for offence and will be where they are supposed to be on the ice. While I don't like the value he's gotten in all his trades it definitely sends a message to the current players on the team and future ones of what is expected. That should be positive for the future of the team but only time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad