Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli New President and GM! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Does anybody really think that if Chiarelli had told the media there was no chance of trading the #1 it would have prevented other GM's from calling about it or meant that he wouldn't have listened to what they had to offer? Realistically there won't be an offer that is worth trading McDavid for so neither of Chiarelli or MacT were wrong about the comments they made on it.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
fair enough, getting Doughty and Carter wouldn't be pissing away anything though.

Anything less than Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Toffoli and LAK 1st and Chia better be hanging up.

I'm not throwing away Connor McDavid for anything less than a return that can complete reinvent this team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There's no offer in the cap world that works. The value of Mcdavid on his ELC is too big.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mac T talks to much and shows everyone his hand, people complain. Chiarelli makes a vague statement, keeps his hand to his chest, people complain.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
There's no offer in the cap world that works. The value of Mcdavid on his ELC is too big.

Perhaps, I don't think your right though. So just in thoery, cuase there not even on the same team, but suppose you got offered Tavares and Erik Karlson. You have to consider that, young players on long term steal contracts. I mean throw in Hall if you want as well. There are packages out there. It wont happen, just saying.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Are people really upset/concerned McDavid will be moved? It's not happening, especially not in a cap world.

My take is that Chiarelli is trying to encourage calls from the other GM's, and getting a sense on which players they would be willing to move for the right price.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Mac T talks to much and shows everyone his hand, people complain. Chiarelli makes a vague statement, keeps his hand to his chest, people complain.

Its quite clear why. Since winning the #1 pick people first and foremost see McDavid being a saviour.

People want McDavid, they want him to be an Oiler.

People are convinced McDavid being an Oiler would be a distinct positive.

Any suggestion of him being dealt is of course going to receive criticism.

Largely its through suspicion and association developed through years of following this clubs very bad decisions.

So its not unreasonable at all to still be nervous about what this org does.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
A trade for the 1st overall pick would be the only time I'd support Katz stepping in and vetoing unless it's just an absolutely insane overpay.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No you wouldn't. Why do people always have to resort to hyperboles? You sound like Luongo saying he would retire if they changed the size of the nets. You sound like Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick who said they would retire if the NHL introduced a salary cap.

Let's be reality: You would get into a hissy fit, run to your computer to vent on hfboards, and then pump up the pieces we got in the deal like a true Oilers fan. You are die-hard and will follow the team unconditionally.

You will eat anything the Oilers force feed you. They brain-washed us bro.

If you wanted an opportunity to step away from the NHL, was 9 years of absolute futility not enough for you?

It won't happen because Chia isn't a moron. Even MacT knew better than to trade away McDavid.

But, if he did, I would be done. No hissy fit, no good bye rant on HF. I simple remove the bookmark and move on. Trading McDavid, a complete gift from the hockey gods, after 9 years of crap, would be my breaking point.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Anything less than Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, Toffoli and LAK 1st and Chia better be hanging up.

I'm not throwing away Connor McDavid for anything less than a return that can complete reinvent this team.

There is no package, not even that one, that would get me to entertain the idea.

This isn't about getting some imaginary NHL 15 trade value bar to the point where it's acceptable. This is about getting this player in an Oilers uniform for 11+ seasons and the ripple effect it will have on the organization.

We can build the rest around him.

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Are people actually concerned about this?

They aren't going to trade McDavid. First, Chiarelli isn't an idiot. Second, it doesn't even matter what Chiarelli thinks. Katz owns the team and there is no ****ing way he is trading "the next Crosby".

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's not trading the pick folks. Relax. Watch the two videos that were posted. The first one he says in this business you can never say never. I think that's a safe rule to operate under. And then in the second one says it's very exciting to be part of the group that gets the opportunity to draft this kid. Referred to him as a generational talent.

Make no mistake about it. Connor McDavid is one of the reasons Peter Chiarelli took this job. Even if he isn't going to come out and say they are taking him.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If Mactavish didn't see this coming after the two seasons this team had under him as GM and after the Eakins debacle then he really is as dumb as his most serious detractors have claimed he is. Macdavid or not.

Yep, dumb as a rock.

He even said he'd be judged on the Eakins hire, I'm just glad someone out there actually called him on his statement.

Hopefully his ego doesn't allow him to get over it, and he moves on with the false belief he can get another coaching or GM job in the NHL without making a call to a friend who owes him favors.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Obviously he should keep his options in case there is a case of GM going crazy and offering a stupid overpay. Is it likely to happen? Absolutely not. Is it impossible? No.

I for one wouldnt say no to Doughty+Quick+Kopitar for McMagic deal. They wouldnt be dumb enough to offer that, but thats why you say never say never.

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
There is no package, not even that one, that would get me to entertain the idea.

This isn't about getting some imaginary NHL 15 trade value bar to the point where it's acceptable. This is about getting this player in an Oilers uniform for 11+ seasons and the ripple effect it will have on the organization.

We can build the rest around him.

This right here x1000.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If Mactavish didn't see this coming after the two seasons this team had under him as GM and after the Eakins debacle then he really is as dumb as his most serious detractors have claimed he is. Macdavid or not.

He may not have seen it coming in the fashion it did though. Lowe basically threw his buddy under the bus, got in the drivers seat, and rolled him a few times without telling him anything.

I'd be a little nonplussed as well if I were MacT.

As for McDAVID, SK13 has it 100% correct. No way in hell they trade him for anything. Anyone who plays with this kid is going to be a better player. We'll more than likely see more than 1 superstar emerge from our group of 1st rounders.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He may not have seen it coming in the fashion it did though. Lowe basically threw his buddy under the bus, got in the drivers seat, and rolled him a few times without telling him anything.

I'd be a little nonplussed as well if I were MacT.

Yep, I've alluded to it several times that Lowe might have fractured his friendship with MacT based on events this season.

Interesting to note that this is not the first time Lowe has done this. He did it with Tambellini ---> MacT as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad