Persona Series

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tried this one for an hour and I'm not necessarily wondering if it gets better, but if the gameplay changes. I think I've had about a total of 60 seconds of actual gameplay over this hour. There's a lot of exposition, running around, cut scenes, etc. It feels like watching an anime, with the over the top writing and everything. It's very well executed, but I'm starting to think it might not be my cup of tea if this is it. It was unnecessarily long to save as well, so I ended up playing more than I expected.
Yeah, as Mars said this game has probably the longest tutorial I have ever seen in any game. For the majority of the time, it is an open world in terms of you can do whatever you want, but there are some times during storyline advancements you will be cut off from freedom. This is especially notorious towards the end of the game.

If you do decide to continue it, try to upgrade Kawakami as much and as soon as possible because she has a special ability to allow you to go out at night after palaces (which increases things to do). Not sure if she needs to be in a romantic relationship to unlock though, so you might need to google that. You can play it with a day-by-day guide if you want to try and accomplish almost everything in one playthrough and the guides help in making your stats really strong. But personally speaking, I went without a guide in my first playthrough and just enjoyed doing what I wanted to do and with whom without caring about getting the achievements or combining my persona to the strongest ones. But knowing some in-depth stuff like personas or unlocking a special skill like SP regeneration with Futaba makes the game easier to battle through. The first best piece of advice is to stock up on anything that increases your SP, the first half of the game is almost like a survival game when it comes to limited resources for SP.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah, Kawakami and Chihaya are the confidants that need to be prioritized the quickest. Takemi's SP adhesive should be prioritized as well.

I finished this game two days ago and it's probably my favourite game ever. Donkey Kong 64 had a good 20 year run as my number one.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Haven't played a Persona game before, so going to check them out on my Steam Deck due to the hype.

Any recommendation on which one to try first? Options would be 3 Portable, 4 Golden or 5 Royal.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That's disappointing but hardly surprising. I don't have any other way of playing it, so I suppose I'll just wait out a deep discount.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I am not very familiar with PC gaming because I don't have much of a rig (I have a PS5 and a Switch), but maybe getting it on Steam will be an option if people make mods? I don't even know if that works via Steam, or if this kind of thing can be modded -- I doubt it.

I figured I would pick it up on Switch in order to have it portably. Actually one of the only Steam games I have is P4G, and I suppose I'll double dip for that too. Luckily I have a pretty big backlog, so I doubt I'll be tempted to buy either of these for quite a while.

Hoping against hope we might get some news about P7 in the next few months. It seems like they would already be working on it, but who knows with Atlus.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’ve never played a Persona game but have Persona 5 installed on my PS5. Will either give it or Bloodborne a go soon. Not a huge JRPG fan though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’ve never played a Persona game but have Persona 5 installed on my PS5. Will either give it or Bloodborne a go soon. Not a huge JRPG fan though.
I describe this game to my friends as an M-rated Pokemon game even if that mature rating is not really an accurate reflection (well to me anyway). If you don't like the mechanics of Pokemon, this game isn't really intended for you.
Persona 5 is about 100 hours but I loved it. I have Royal, but f***ing hell I don't want to do another 100+ hours lol.
Royal is such an upgrade to P5 that another 100-hour playthrough is so worth it.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I agree that P5R is enough of an improvement that it's worth it. It's definitely an enormous commitment, though. I really took my time with P5R and I think my playthrough was north of 140 hours, though I have a habit of pausing a game for a while and doing something else which can inflate that.

I also think that it's borderline necessary to play it on Hard, especially if you've already done P5, but I think I'd even make this recommendation to someone new to the series, as long as they've played some RPGs before. Difficulty is obviously someone's own preference, but I think it's too easy on Normal. I've never gone to the extreme difficulties but have always seen that they get strange. Hard is at least somewhat balanced, but I the gameplay additions still make it relatively simple after a while.

It's something that I hope they address for P7. I have only played P4G out of the other games, but I still found that to be a little more well-balanced and challenging despite some of it's QoL drawbacks relative to the much more polished P5/P5R.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Bought P4 Golden for the Switch last night! I've only ever played P5 (vanilla) and adored it. Only a few hours into Golden so far but already really loving it.

Think I'm going to wait and see if the rumoured P3 remake is announced this year before considering that one.

Reactions: Jovavic

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm in for a Persona SRPG and also glad I haven't spent any money on the re-release of P3. Presumably these will come to Playstation as well, but for Tactica especially I hope it will also be on Switch day one.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Both trailers are floating around on twitter, P3 Remake looks really good except something just seems off with the text boxes or font. It just looks weird to me. Aside from that it looks amazing and it's built in Unreal Engine which I didn't expect.

P5T looks like an interesting SRPG and I will probably play and enjoy it but I really do not like the character models.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
Bought Persona 5 Royal on sale a while back. Wasn't sure i would like it since ive never played a Persona game. it took me a bit to get used to the combat and some systems but im completely hooked. I am a bit scared that im missing opportunities fro confidant ranks and social stats points. Apparently you can get the teacher as a confidant.. didnt know that so ill try to see when and where to find her. Im at the 2nd palace right now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very glad I didn't buy P3 Mobile as I am now going to wait for P3 Reload and play the hell out of that. Curious question, how big is the map/things to do compared fo P5?
Don't worry about missing links all that, it happens to everyone, unless you're using a guide that maximizes your time and where's the fun in that?
I 100% agree with this. The first playthrough should be doing what you want and with whom, and then the second playthrough should be with a guide that maximises that time. The game is too good to only play once, even if it requires like 100+ hours.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree with both, though it may also be worth looking at some spoilerish free guides in order to make sure you level up a certain handful in order to get the final semester of the game. It's not too difficult to do it, but you could miss it if you get unlucky. If you did, you'd still get the natural ending of OG Persona 5, which is the way many people played, and then if you have the patience/obsession for a second go around, you could be more tactical with the guide.

But in general, just find things you enjoy and do them. The game is so stacked with content that it's not worth stressing over missing some side stuff, it's inevitable.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Very glad I didn't buy P3 Mobile as I am now going to wait for P3 Reload and play the hell out of that. Curious question, how big is the map/things to do compared fo P5?

The size in P3 is much smaller, there are no palaces, just a central area with randomly generated floors like Tartarus (I think that's the name of the P5 place, I played the OG when it came out so names are fuzzy)

Reactions: S E P H

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Narratively and tonally I think P3 is the best of the bunch but 4 and 5 were extremely iterative both in terms of game play and dungeon design so I can see people maybe not being that impressed with Tartarus.

The most messed up part about 3 that I wonder if they'll keep is how the social links could reverse.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad