Persona Series

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Since a few people wanted the full Persona discussion to move to its own thread, I have made one here.

I've only ever beaten 2 Persona games, 4 (not Golden) and 5 and it's hard to put what's at the top of the two. I haven't played enough of 3 to get a real opinion for it.

I've been so itching to go back to P5 to go a NG+, but I have a ton of other games I'm trying to finish since I started them.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
persona-4-gif-13.gif

Best series.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Got the last one, it was fun for a couple days but like most games i got bored after about 10 hours.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Bought it on sale, downloaded it, started it, watched like a minute of the opening cinematic, closed it never to be reopened. I feel like an idiot for wasting the money, but I just can't do it. Also hearing how incredibly long the game takes is off-putting as well. I'll probably try it again over the summer when I have all kinds of time on my hands, but can't bring myself to do it yet.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Even though it's a long game, it feels like it goes by so fast. I put 94 hours into my first playthrough and it feels like it went by so fast. I can literally grind for an hour in a dungeon and it feels like nothing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I put around 110 hours into the game and honestly you don't need that much. That was me jacking around like milking reapers and spending a lot of time in Mementos to try and beat all side-requests until finally realising that the game pretty much is done at Christmas.

I think I am going to start a NG+ game, but definitely not now. If anybody who read my journey with P5 knows, there is one negative I had with the game and that's the save points. Not in terms of gameplay action or safe room even if that irritates me, but that you would need to actually plan out your day in real life. Because after you would beat a boss battle at any of the palaces you'd walk right into at minimum, 25 minutes of pure dialogue/cut-scenes afterwards. That really needs to change for the next installment. I don't mind having 25 minutes of that, but it has to be done right. Like put it into sections where you can save in between instead of one long drawn out bunch of virtual characters conversing about random stuff I will forget about in five minutes.

Solidsnake is also right, even though it took me multiple months to beat the game, the actual time you play it flies by so fast. There were times I would start it at 10 and next chance I got to see the clock it was already 11:50.
Got the last one, it was fun for a couple days but like most games i got bored after about 10 hours.
Yeah, if you get bored of most games in a fairly short time this one will be a no go for you.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I put around 110 hours into the game and honestly you don't need that much. That was me jacking around like milking reapers and spending a lot of time in Mementos to try and beat all side-requests until finally realising that the game pretty much is done at Christmas.

I think I am going to start a NG+ game, but definitely not now. If anybody who read my journey with P5 knows, there is one negative I had with the game and that's the save points. Not in terms of gameplay action or safe room even if that irritates me, but that you would need to actually plan out your day in real life. Because after you would beat a boss battle at any of the palaces you'd walk right into at minimum, 25 minutes of pure dialogue/cut-scenes afterwards. That really needs to change for the next installment. I don't mind having 25 minutes of that, but it has to be done right. Like put it into sections where you can save in between instead of one long drawn out bunch of virtual characters conversing about random stuff I will forget about in five minutes.

Solidsnake is also right, even though it took me multiple months to beat the game, the actual time you play it flies by so fast. There were times I would start it at 10 and next chance I got to see the clock it was already 11:50.

Yeah, if you get bored of most games in a fairly short time this one will be a no go for you.

Unfortunately this is a the case. As I got older somehow my attention span got shorter and shorter with games. That's why I have no problem paying $60 for AAA games that are only 12-20 hours to complete. If I know the game isn't excessively long I'll usually be able to get through it (for example Uncharted 4/The last of Us)

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Playing 5 now. Definitely a big step up from 4 (which is an amazing game btw). I'm probably shouldn't like these games as much as I do considering my age, but I can't help it. They're fun as hell.

I'll also probably buy a Switch when SMT V is released.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
One of my all time favorite series of games.
I would like to play through 5 again for a 3rd time eventually, but as I stated in the PS4 thread I would like to do another play through of 3 and 4 first.

And SMT V for the Switch will hold me over for a while whenever it releases.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious due to my lack of experience with Persona games, I got another question for the peeps who played P4 and P5...which game had better characters in terms of both teammates and confidants?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I really, truly want to try to platinum the game on the 2nd playthrough. But I'm going to have to make sure I do f***ing everything. I didn't get all the lines of dialog from Futaba. What would be the best way to tackle that trophy?

Oh, and beat
the twins.
That is something that can only be done in the 2nd or later playthroughs.

Curious due to my lack of experience with Persona games, I got another question for the peeps who played P4 and P5...which game had better characters in terms of both teammates and confidants?

I like the abilities more that you unlock for characters in P5, but in terms of being characters and being more fleshed out, I like P4 more.

Seriously, Baton Pass in P5 is a f***ing GODSEND.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

The main characters in P4 were a bit more fleshed out and I prefer that group by a smidge, but whatever gap that creates is made up for by the abilities and baton pass features IMO.

As for the Futaba trophy...I just changed up the way I played in my second play-through a bit and it popped midway through. The biggest change was just swapping characters more liberally.

The P5 platinum is more time consuming than it is difficult...unlike P4G's which is both.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I remember renting the first one on PS1 years ago and 17 year old me was like "modern setting with kids in a school and monsters, this game is whack, back to Suikoden"...game was ahead of it's time

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I remember renting the first one on PS1 years ago and 17 year old me was like "modern setting with kids in a school and monsters, this game is whack, back to Suikoden"...game was ahead of it's time

Replace the games with Persona 2 and Grandia and that was my reaction the first time around, too. That setting was really jarring in the 90s.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My friend basically owns every single primary Persona game. He owns the first 2 for the PS1, P3, P3 FES and P3P, P4 and P5.

I have: P3P, P4, P4G, P5 (Take Your Heart Edition), Persona Q (Special Edition), Persona 4 Dancing All Night (Disco Fever Edition) and Persona 4 Arena.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The P5 anime isn't very good (again), but at least the opening is.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The P5 anime isn't very good (again), but at least the opening is.

I admit that I'm coming at this with western eyes...but I outright do not understand the purpose of the animes. They're too loyal to the games to add anything new, but lose too much of the nuance for them to be an effective replacement. Plus we're at a point where the game looks better than the anime, which is just awkward.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Loved 4, for whatever reason can’t get into 5. More a test of my patience than anything with the 10 hour long tutorial.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bought it on sale, downloaded it, started it, watched like a minute of the opening cinematic, closed it never to be reopened. I feel like an idiot for wasting the money, but I just can't do it. Also hearing how incredibly long the game takes is off-putting as well. I'll probably try it again over the summer when I have all kinds of time on my hands, but can't bring myself to do it yet.

You’re not going to like it enough to finish if you can’t even deal with the opening scene.

I admit that I'm coming at this with western eyes...but I outright do not understand the purpose of the animes. They're too loyal to the games to add anything new, but lose too much of the nuance for them to be an effective replacement. Plus we're at a point where the game looks better than the anime, which is just awkward.

In this case? Money, haha. I actually enjoyed Persona 4 The Animation as a way to experience those characters again in a more visually appealing way. 7 years later though and P5’s animation is just so much worse than the game.

Persona 4’s main cast was fleshed out naturally because the games’ dungeons were about them, so you got to learn their ins and outs as opposed to the villains. In terms of characters who aren’t part of the team, it’s more even.

Last edited by a moderator:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eh, the only character who really gets the short end in terms of characterization is Haru. Otherwise I think the main cast of 5 is maybe even better, lack of Chie not withstanding. I felt like the confidants in 5 were noticeably better, though.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad