Pre-Game Talk: Perry is in! Oilers v Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our PK killed us in key moments last year despite being average.

Elite PK is critically important to this team, especially considering the treatment we get from the refs, and especially considering our PP is average this year and can’t seem to be relied upon to make up for PK shortfalls. 7 less goals this year is a lot, possibly worth up to 4-6 standings points. Maybe more considering the number of low scoring games we have been involved in.

I like Gagner, but if we’re being honest with ourselves he has been a beneficiary of having a combination of a bit of a hot hand and good luck. 2 random GWG’s doesn’t change that. The strength of our PK, which has been a backbone of our success since Woodcroft stopped having a chance to wreck it, has been a staple and will continue to need to be so for us to win everything.
Heres another attempt at illustrating. The Oilers have given up 26pk goals this season. Thats pretty good. But its only 3 goals removed from the 29 GA that the Median pk team in NHl has allowed this year. Thats only 3 less pk goals differential between us and the average amount this season. Across average of 45GP. This makes it like 1 goal difference every 15 games, not a lot.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Heres another attempt at illustrating. The Oilers have given up 26pk goals this season. Thats pretty good. But its only 3 goals removed from the 29 GA that the Median pk team in NHl has allowed this year. Thats only 3 less pk goals differential between us and the average amount this season. Across average of 45GP. This makes it like 1 goal difference every 15 games, not a lot.

Ok, but the NHL median isn’t relevant to the particular situation the Oilers are in specifically.

You actually did a great job illustrating my point in your first post. 7 less goals in half a season is THE illustration of how important the improvement in this area is. That is not a small amount over 42/43 games, especially considering the drop we’ve had in PP production. We’ve been riding a wave of one goal wins for weeks, we probably lose several of those with an average PK. Maybe we lose 1 game if Gagner doesn’t happen to be the one scoring the game winner on a given night otherwise.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok, but the NHL median isn’t relevant to the particular situation the Oilers are in specifically.

You actually did a great job illustrating my point in your first post. 7 less goals in half a season is THE illustration of how important the improvement in this area is. That is not a small amount over 42/43 games, especially considering the drop we’ve had in PP production. We’ve been riding a wave of one goal wins for weeks, we probably lose several of those with an average PK. Maybe we lose 1 game if Gagner doesn’t happen to be the one scoring the game winner on a given night otherwise.
Proviso that 7GA differential is cause and effect divided between the 5 players on the ice (4 skaters, goalie) with the Goalie typically having biggest kill effect, followed by the D, followed by the forwards. Connor Brown could be Mike Peca and his proportion of the pk differential effect is still small. The discussion was about the presence or absence of Brown on the pk. Pull Brown from the pk and somebody nearly as good would be on it.

Wasn't too long ago people were doubting McLeod on pk and imo he's our best pker.

Anycase we've both said our parts. Not our decision anyway.

Reactions: K1984

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Gagner out over Brown is the right call imo. I love Gagner. He is a beauty and has had some clutch goals this year, but Brown is (by my eye) a much more effective player. He's completely snake bitten and gripping his stick tighter than a nuns hoohah, but I still think he's going to pop one and find his game. I think he finishes the year with more than 7 goals and is a valuable piece to the team come playoff time

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For sure. Man that team was pretty deep
One of the best bluelines they had since the glory days.

Smith - Pronger
Staios - Spacek
Green - Bergeron
Tarnstrom, Ulanov

I'm still floored they got a #3 RHD in Spacek for just a single prospect. What a trade.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
He's a delightful player of that era, I think he would be left behind in today's NHL.
One of my favourite unsung players from the dark ages was Gilbert Brule. Man, I loved his game. His wrecking ball style did not work against grown men twice his size, and I believe he may have had some struggles with his mental health, but he was so fun to watch

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wanted Foegele-McLeod-Perry when we initially signed him. Give him some speed skaters to work with, hopefully help with Perry’s foot speed. Holloway-Mcleod works for that too, since we are a 2RW short until the TDL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
One of my favourite unsung players from the dark ages was Gilbert Brule. Man, I loved his game. His wrecking ball style did not work against grown men twice his size, and I believe he may have had some struggles with his mental health, but he was so fun to watch
I loved Brule as well, he was always held back by a lack of good pro hockey sense. Just couldn't bring his Junior game to the NHL.

I also think you're right about some of that.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I loved Brule as well, he was always held back by a lack of good pro hockey sense. Just couldn't bring his Junior game to the NHL.

I hope where ever he is and what ever he is doing these days he is doing well. As someone who has struggled at times with depression and anxiety I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I actually felt he had too short of a leash. There was no reason to not have kept Brule around an extra year or two. Not like we were making the playoffs anyway.

7 goals in 41 games in a down year wasn’t that bad.

Last edited:

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Brule was awesome, I think he had some connection to Bono from U2 but I can’t remember how.

Reactions: tinfish

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I kinda wish we ran McD - Drai - RNH down the middle.
We have the depth to run 2x 1st lines and a 2nd line:

Holloway - McD - Hyman
Foegele - Drai - McLeod
Kane - RNH - Perry
Gagner - Ryan - Brown

Reactions: Duke74

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I still remember when he picked up Bono from U2 on a highway down in BC and then Bono shouted him out here at the Edmonton concert lol

I'm pretty sure he was the bassist for U2
Bono got lost or ran out of gas. Something happened and Brule and his gf happened to be driving his truck down the road and picked him up. I believe the band was staying far from Vancouver during their concert stay there

Reactions: tinfish

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I actually felt he had too short of a leash. There was no reason to not have kept Brule around an extra year or two. Not like we were making the playoffs anyway.
You know, I've always wondered about these little ball of energy players like Brule or Yamamoto that just bring so much intensity to every shift. Why can't a big player do that? Like why couldn't Jesse Puljujarvi play that way, or really any other like 6'4 plus player play that way? Is it not physically possible? Is it just not obvious as a viewer? Has there ever been like a massive player that played with intensity of a Yamamoto, or Brule, or Theo Fleury?

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You're correct, but I think he had issues in his game that couldn't or wouldn't come around, and those team naively thought they were going to compete for that lol. (Know as fan I had that thought to start years lol)

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Bono got lost or ran out of gas. Something happened and Brule and his gf happened to be driving his truck down the road and picked him up. I believe the band was staying far from Vancouver during their concert stay there
No, I'm fairly certain that Gilbert Brule was the Bassist for U2. He played on the Joshua Tree

• Haha
Reactions: Zenos

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
McLellan Tippett Hitch etc all used McDrai at times, because they’re the best. Hyman is one of the best. Janmark is one of the best. If you’re worried we wont have enough PKers without Brown…. The PK will improve with one of those guys added in. Some of them have proven they can do both.

EV we could use more juice lately. Gags has top 4 scoring rates at EV. PP we could use more juice too. None of this would hurt.
McLellan Tippett Hitch, etc. all lost. And overplayed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad