Perry / Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
CaptainShark said:
Take a breath man... This is getting ridiculous... When someone says there is NO chance sth. will happen, it doesn´t actually mean that there isn´t ANY possibility...

I mean, if a team is down 4-0 with 1:10 to go in a game and someone says "there is no way they come back to win that one", would you argue with him that there is a way? Is it possible? YES... Is it very, very, very unlikely? Yes... I think everybody KNOWS that it theoretically (sp?) is still possible, yet one says it is impossible. Not because they are stupid but because they expect the listener to get the meaning of it because the listener can use his brain!

OK, but you're comparison isn't logical. Find me an example of a team coming from behind four goals with less than two minutes to go. OTOH, players have exceded expectations and other guys have underachieved. It is quite possible that Penner could be better than Bernier.

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
Penner has come out of nowhere to put up some ridiculous stats in the AHL. At the rate he's progressing, I wouldn't count him out to do anything. He's got all the skills you need to be a terrific power forward and watching him skate, the man can fly for someone his size. It's not like Bernier's the second coming of Wayne Gretzky either...the kid is only a rookie and there's way too little of a sample size to say that Penner will never catch him.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
76over39 said:
OK, but you're comparison isn't logical. Find me an example of a team coming from behind four goals with less than two minutes to go. OTOH, players have exceded expectations and other guys have underachieved. It is quite possible that Penner could be better than Bernier.

Are you implying that it is indeed impossible to come back from a 0-4 deficit with 2 minutes to go? ;)

Of course the scenario of Penner turning out better than Bernier is a little more likely than the comeback-scenario, but IMO it´s still very unlikely... And that´s just what Wild GM or whoever it was was trying to say...

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
CaptainShark said:
Are you implying that it is indeed impossible to come back from a 0-4 deficit with 2 minutes to go? ;)

Of course the scenario of Penner turning out better than Bernier is a little more likely than the comeback-scenario, but IMO it´s still very unlikely... And that´s just what Wild GM or whoever it was was trying to say...

I guess time will tell the story. Penner should have a spot with the Ducks all season next year, so we'll at least get an idea of what he's capable of.

IMO, it's apparent that Penner is very underrated by some people on HF.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
CaptainShark said:
When someone says there is NO chance sth. will happen, it doesn´t actually mean that there isn´t ANY possibility...

This quote deserves to be immortalized. If only because it can make rational people's heads explode.

wildone26*

I laugh when I read people saying Bernier is doing better since he plays with better teammates because he the fact he is deemed good enough to play on the 2nd line of a team that is probably a better team, atleast as far as its forwards, then Anaheim is telling.

Sammy*

76over39 said:
I guess time will tell the story. Penner should have a spot with the Ducks all season next year, so we'll at least get an idea of what he's capable of.

IMO, it's apparent that Penner is very underrated by some people on HF.
Also apparrently by the Ducks, given that he hasnt dressed for 3 playoff games & is getting only 10 mins of ice time a game.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Sammy said:
Also apparrently by the Ducks, given that he hasnt dressed for 3 playoff games & is getting only 10 mins of ice time a game.

If by hasn't dressed you mean he wasn't called up until the 4th playoff game, then you're right.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
Sammy said:

You are not smart.

-He has not been scratched in any games throughout the playoffs.
-Should a rookie be playing much more than 11 minutes a game in the playoffs? The only rookie forward who's doing that on the Ducks is Ryan Getzlaf.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
76over39 said:
-He has not been scratched in any games throughout the playoffs.

Nobody said he was scratched... He hasn´t dressed... Go figure the difference ;)

If the Ducks thought he was THE ANSWER, they would have called him up earlier...

-Should a rookie be playing much more than 11 minutes a game in the playoffs? The only rookie forward who's doing that on the Ducks is Ryan Getzlaf.

If a player is among the 6 best forwards on your team, he should play about 20 minutes a night, rookie or not... Look at Bernier´s ice-time... Who cares if he is a rookie or not, as long as one gets it done, he will see tons of ice ;)

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
mmbt said:
If by hasn't dressed you mean he wasn't called up until the 4th playoff game, then you're right.

so he wasn't considered one of the best 12 forwards when the playoffs started. check.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Buffalo87 said:
Ahhhh I finally see the light. Penner sucks and shouldn't be allowed in hockey and Berner is GOD!!!

:bow: :bow: BERNIER

1st of all... Bernier is GOD ;)

2nd... What´s the point of your post?

To take a positive from the fact that Penner wasn´t scratched because he wasn´t even on the roster is outright ridiculuos... and saying he doesn´t get the ice-time because he is a rookie is even more ridiculous, if he was good enought right now, he would get a lot more ice-time... That´s all I wanted to point out with my last post... Where you get a "Penner is useless and Bernier is god" from that is beyond me...

Penner is a fine prospect and his stock has really risen... BUT he is not at Bernier´s level as of know... period...

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Lets look at the depth of the Ducks compared to the depth of the Sharks. Here are the bottom two lines for each team:

Fedoruk-Getzlaf-Perry
Friesen-Marchant-Neidermayer

Nieminin-Goc-McCauley
Rissmiller-Smith-Parker

The Ducks bottom two lines blow the Sharks bottom two out of the water. Maybe Penner isn't in the line-up because there's nowhere to put him. If he was on the Sharks, he would be on atleast the 3rd line.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Buffalo87 said:
Lets look at the depth of the Ducks compared to the depth of the Sharks. Here are the bottom two lines for each team:

Fedoruk-Getzlaf-Perry
Friesen-Marchant-Neidermayer

Nieminin-Goc-McCauley
Rissmiller-Smith-Parker

The Ducks bottom two lines blow the Sharks bottom two out of the water. Maybe Penner isn't in the line-up because there's nowhere to put him. If he was on the Sharks, he would be on atleast the 3rd line.

Actually, had you watched the Sharks, you would know Parker hasn't played in about 3 months. Scott Thornton is playing on the 3rd or 4th line depending.

So far, those last 2 lines for the Ducks have 4 goals and 10 assists through 7 games and is even.

The Sharks have 5 goals and 4 assists and is plus 9 in 5 games.

In the regular season, the Ducks bottom 2 lines had 7 more goals, or an average of 1 per player.

Blow out the water, huh?

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
CaptainShark said:
Penner is a fine prospect and his stock has really risen... BUT he is not at Bernier´s level as of know... period...

OK, I'm glad we agree.

This was all I was trying to say in the first place. I never said I'd rather have Penner than Bernier. All I said was that they were comparable talents.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Perry>McCauley? Wow
I would also go Fedoruk=Rissmiller. Totally different players, so harder to measure.

The rest look spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad