Perry / Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Sammy said:
Bernier is now better & will be far superiour in the future.
By all round game, you mean he takes face-offs & plays the point on the pp?
If thats your criteria for "all round", :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Actually even if Bernier is better now, I think Getzlaf has quite a bit more potential. As I've said before, you can debate it all you want but playing with Marleau makes you a better player. Playing with Fedoruk does not and Getzlaf has STILL put up similar numbers to Bernier. If Getzlaf was on a line with Marleau and Michalek I think he would be putting up far superior numbers to Bernier.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Buffalo87 said:
Actually even if Bernier is better now, I think Getzlaf has quite a bit more potential. As I've said before, you can debate it all you want but playing with Marleau makes you a better player. Playing with Fedoruk does not and Getzlaf has STILL put up similar numbers to Bernier. If Getzlaf was on a line with Marleau and Michalek I think he would be putting up far superior numbers to Bernier.

Actually Bernier carried that 2nd-Line down the stretch. Marleau had his first really bad slump of the season in the last 9 games (Sharks still went 8-1)... He was prone to stupid giveaways and pulled quite a few disappearing-acts...

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Sorry if my post came off as a bash to Bernier. He's obviously a tremendous player, I just think sometimes he's slightly overrated and Getzlaf sometimes doesn't get the respect he deserves.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Steve Bernier needs to consistently play as physical as he can. The one big concern I had on him in junior was that one game he'd be an absolutely dominant force and destroy 5-6 opponents in one game with massive hits. The next game he'd be a complete finesse player and turn away from easy and obvious hits.

Randall Graves*

dmcccdmn said:
Bernier is a big reason for Marleau's success this season/playoffs. Where would the Sharks now if Bernier didn't get called up.
You could say the same about Getzlaf. after March 1st he was a PPG player. and he doesn't play with an elite winger either.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
rohan said:
Have you watched Bernier?

He doesn't go out of his way to hit people, just runs them over while with the puck.

Click to go to this game recap, watch the game highlights, click on Scott Hannan's goal late in the 3rd period.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/recaps/1106_2_recap.html

Oh I know the guys an animal. That wasn't a hit though so I wouldn't really say the guy destroys people. No question he's got a tremendous amount of strength.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
rohan said:
Have you watched Bernier?

He doesn't go out of his way to hit people, just runs them over while with the puck.

Click to go to this game recap, watch the game highlights, click on Scott Hannan's goal late in the 3rd period.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/recaps/1106_2_recap.html

He's really strong, but he doesn't destroy people. It's rare to see him go for a big hit, IMO he simply "runs into guys", but since he's so strong that can work for him.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
Sammy said:
Bernier is now better & will be far superiour in the future.
By all round game, you mean he takes face-offs & plays the point on the pp?
If thats your criteria for "all round", :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Uhh yeah, I'm certainly glad you got out all of your "big laughs", because now it's time for me to get out all of mine at the expense of your post.

You say Bernier is better now. You also say Bernier will be far superior in the future. Let me ask you how you know this. This thread (originally comparing PERRY to Bernier) was to get people's opinions on who they THINK will be the better player. You sound rather sure in your statement as if you've looked into a crystal ball. If you're going to make a bonehead comment like you just did, please explain yourself better and get your sh1t straight.

I think even Sharks fans will agree that Getzlaf is the better ALL AROUND PLAYER at the moment and most likely in the future as well. You are right that Getzlaf plays the point on the PP and he takes faceoffs, but that is not all. He is already doing a great job on the PK as a rookie in the playoffs. That should not be overlooked. He has also showed big bursts of speed (especially since round 1 began). He's been going out of his way to lay the body on and he's been doing it consistantly, unlike most of the other Ducks in this series.

In The Flesh

Apr 26, 2006
Since Anaheim is so deep in offensive prospects, would they consider dealing one of them. I'm hinting at Getlaf, I want him on the Rangers, and since we have been trade partners of late, I've been watching some Duck games, and they really have a good core of young guns, already including Bobby Ryan who's not even on the team yet. Will they deal any of them. Offering a 1st rounder and more.

Sammy*

76over39 said:
Uhh yeah, I'm certainly glad you got out all of your "big laughs", because now it's time for me to get out all of mine at the expense of your post.

You say Bernier is better now. You also say Bernier will be far superior in the future. Let me ask you how you know this. This thread (originally comparing PERRY to Bernier) was to get people's opinions on who they THINK will be the better player. You sound rather sure in your statement as if you've looked into a crystal ball. If you're going to make a bonehead comment like you just did, please explain yourself better and get your sh1t straight.

I think even Sharks fans will agree that Getzlaf is the better ALL AROUND PLAYER at the moment and most likely in the future as well. You are right that Getzlaf plays the point on the PP and he takes faceoffs, but that is not all. He is already doing a great job on the PK as a rookie in the playoffs. That should not be overlooked. He has also showed big bursts of speed (especially since round 1 began). He's been going out of his way to lay the body on and he's been doing it consistantly, unlike most of the other Ducks in this series.
Hey bud, I thought one had enough intellect to realize one is offering an opinion here, & no one has a silver ball. Sorry I was wrong with regards to you. Next time I will make it clearer. Getzlaff is not , & likely never will be a 2 way player. I saw enough of him in playing for Calgary to believe this.
And btw, taking draws & playing the point on the pp (which was apparently some of the indicia an earlier poster thought does make an all round player) does not make one an all round player . Hence the :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Clear enough ?

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Sammy said:
Hey bud, I thought one had enough intellect to realize one is offering an opinion here, & no one has a silver ball. Sorry I was wrong with regards to you. Next time I will make it clearer. Getzlaff is not , & likely never will be a 2 way player. I saw enough of him in playing for Calgary to believe this.
And btw, taking draws & playing the point on the pp (which was apparently some of the indicia an earlier poster thought does make an all round player) does not make one an all round player . Hence the :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Clear enough ?

Wow......you're entitled to your opinion but that's just crazy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sammy said:

Clear enough ?

While Mcdonald19's comments about Getzlaf "playing the point" and "taking faceoffs" making Getzlaf more valuable than Bernier were off the point and wrong, Buffalo87 and others are right that Getzlaf does use his size more effectively than Bernier right now. Getzlaf is and probably always will be a better two-way player than Bernier.

Actually, when Bernier uses his size, one can see that he is stronger than Getzlaf. He has a higher potential (could be one of the top PFs in the game), but I don't think he has the mean streak necessary to achieve that potential. Its been a problem for a long time (not using his size enough), and since IMO its more of a mental/personality trait, I don't think Bernier will ever use his size judiciously enough. Still, that doesn't make him useless. He has a shot and scoring instinct that Getzlaf and Perry can't touch. Also, he definitely is showing the qualities of a go-to-guy who can be the primary scoring threat of a team. Like I said, I'd take him over Perry since Perry isn't quite up there with Getzlaf and Bernier. In regards to the two, if I need a #1, bullish, hard-working center, I take Getzlaf. If I need a defensively-responsible, game-breaking PF, I take Bernier.

Sammy*

Buffalo87 said:
Wow......you're entitled to your opinion but that's just crazy.
Well, I saw a bunch in Calgary & I just dont see that he's got that in him.
That been said, I suppose a guy can change & also be taught.

Randall Graves*

At this point, I don't think anyone can say for sure that either player is clearly better than the other.

Sammy*

RallyKiller said:
At this point, I don't think anyone can say for sure that either player is clearly better than the other.
I agree with that.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
theMessiah1194 said:
Since Anaheim is so deep in offensive prospects, would they consider dealing one of them. I'm hinting at Getlaf, I want him on the Rangers, and since we have been trade partners of late, I've been watching some Duck games, and they really have a good core of young guns, already including Bobby Ryan who's not even on the team yet. Will they deal any of them. Offering a 1st rounder and more.

I don't think so because why would the Ducks trade a potential star, developed prospect just to get another one that they need to develop.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
superroyain10 said:
Actually, when Bernier uses his size, one can see that he is stronger than Getzlaf. He has a higher potential (could be one of the top PFs in the game), but I don't think he has the mean streak necessary to achieve that potential. Its been a problem for a long time (not using his size enough), and since IMO its more of a mental/personality trait, I don't think Bernier will ever use his size judiciously enough.

After 37 games you can say he will never do that?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Wild GM said:
After 37 games you can say he will never do that?

Like I said in my post, its been a problem for a long time. I'd be very happy if he used his size more, but he has always shown an inclination to use finesse over power.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
superroyain10 said:
Like I said in my post, its been a problem for a long time. I'd be very happy if he used his size more, but he has always shown an inclination to use finesse over power.

Not in the games he's been in since his 2nd call up. Ekman...finesse. Michalek...finesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad