Management Per Russo: John Hynes to replace Evason

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I guess you missed the announcement that Guerin has given Hynes a 4 year extension at 2M per year. Said he needed to lock down a great, gritty coach like him to give the room confidence going forward, and that if he didn't do it then some other team would.
You made me check Twitter and we should all feel bad about that.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
We got 20 "identity"s from that presser alone. Is that the new "play hard"

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Two things: does anyone worry that Guerin is here for the next 4 years? Leipold doesn't want to pay for a bunch of coaches that aren't going to be coaching and eating 6 million or 4 million is a good chunk of change.

With all our new prospects coming in and through, I am really concerned we're going to be going back to the whole Eriksson-Ek way of development. Nashville directly blames Hynes for Tolvanen being waived. Just imagine if that's Khusnutdinov or Yurov. I had hoped Guerin would sign a younger more innovative guy that could relate more to he younger players

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Two things: does anyone worry that Guerin is here for the next 4 years? Leipold doesn't want to pay for a bunch of coaches that aren't going to be coaching and eating 6 million or 4 million is a good chunk of change.

With all our new prospects coming in and through, I am really concerned we're going to be going back to the whole Eriksson-Ek way of development. Nashville directly blames Hynes for Tolvanen being waived. Just imagine if that's Khusnutdinov or Yurov. I had hoped Guerin would sign a younger more innovative guy that could relate more to he younger players
I think Guerin's faults have mainly been with cap management and contracts. He's been pretty protective of futures and patient with young players, and I don't see any reason to worry about Hynes damaging anyone before he's even coached a game here.

Guerin's made it unnecessarily difficult for this team to be any good for the next two seasons, but in the long run that's not exactly the worst case scenario. And I haven't seen much reason to worry about him freaking out and making panic moves. Weak lateral moves that are presented as more impactful than they are? Sure. But nothing that's going to cause lasting damage... at least not until we get to Kaprizov, who's a whole other can of worms.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think Guerin's faults have mainly been with cap management and contracts. He's been pretty protective of futures and patient with young players, and I don't see any reason to worry about Hynes damaging anyone before he's even coached a game here.

Guerin's made it unnecessarily difficult for this team to be any good for the next two seasons, but in the long run that's not exactly the worst case scenario. And I haven't seen much reason to worry about him freaking out and making panic moves. Weak lateral moves that are presented as more impactful than they are? Sure. But nothing that's going to cause lasting damage... at least not until we get to Kaprizov, who's a whole other can of worms.
That's fair ad a good point. Guerin makes minor tweaks instead of massive changes. The question comes the what's next of this move doesn't work?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Okay, after a few breathes, here are my thoughts.

The more I read into Hynes's time in the NHL, the the less enthused I am. He sounds like a Dean clone. He is stubborn like Dean; he is more of a systems guy than a guy who adapts his system to his players. And that can work - but only if theres no cracks - but once pieces start falling out, they fall like dominoes as can't adjust or making tweeks to your design or using some more unknown players to better situations. And he has a bitter taste than most unemployed head coaches.

Now with all that said, here is my "glass half full" side of me...

Apparently, he's a better leader and I never understood the Evason hands off approach. It was dumb, you need a person, one voice, to lead the group. Players can help excite the team but you need one guiding leader to take charge. Evason obviously lost it 1-2 seasons ago.

And I'm not sure I buy into the "he ruins young players" narrative. In Nashville, if your top prospects are Tolvanen, Tomasino, and Fabbro, there a bigger problem in your drafting. Those players would be 5-10 on our list. So I don't have the same fear when it comes to Yurov, Ohgren, Rossi, Faber, Boldy, Wallstedt.

And I think an interesting argument for his development skills is his time as the Penguin's key develop coach as the HC in their AHL affiliate, the time that BG is likely remembering when he chose to hire Hynes. I think an interesting take on a coach's ability to develop is mid/late round picks into a top six forward/top 4 dman, players you would normally have to spend a top 30 pick on. And he developed Brian Dumoulin and Bryan Rust when only had 1 Penguin prospect that was drafted higher than 20th during all his years there (Derrick Pouliot). The Pens had, and still have, a drafting problem so I find it hard to fault Hynes on that. They are simply one of the worst drafting teams in the league.

He also did good work with his some of his young talent with the Devils in developing Severson, Palmieri, and Bratt (left Hischier and Hall out for being 1st OV but still Hischier developed nicely and Hall had his best year under Hynes).

That said, I'm still very suspect of the hire as I'm not sure he's a big enough change to fix our problems and he reminds me too much of Dean to be happy but I am also not as doom as some others. I am definitely willing to see how it turns out.

Reactions: Bazeek

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The more I read into Hynes's time in the NHL, the the less enthused I am. He sounds like a Dean clone. He is stubborn like Dean; he is more of a systems guy than a guy who adapts his system to his players. And that can work - but only if theres no cracks - but once pieces start falling out, they fall like dominoes as can't adjust or making tweeks to your design or using some more unknown players to better situations. And he has a bitter taste than most unemployed head coaches.

Apparently, he's a better leader and I never understood the Evason hands off approach. It was dumb, you need a person, one voice, to lead the group. Players can help excite the team but you need one guiding leader to take charge. Evason obviously lost it 1-2 seasons ago.

And I'm not sure I buy into the "he ruins young players" narrative. In Nashville, if your top prospects are Tolvanen, Tomasino, and Fabbro, there a bigger problem in your drafting. Those players would be 5-10 on our list. So I don't have the same fear when it comes to Yurov, Ohgren, Rossi, Faber, Boldy, Wallstedt.

And I think an interesting argument for his development skills is his time as the Penguin's key develop coach as the HC in their AHL affiliate, the time that BG is likely remembering when he chose to hire Hynes. I think an interesting take on a coach's ability to develop is mid/late round picks into a top six forward/top 4 dman, players you would normally have to spend a top 30 pick on. And he developed Brian Dumoulin and Bryan Rust when only had 1 Penguin prospect that was drafted higher than 20th during all his years there (Derrick Pouliot). The Pens had, and still have, a drafting problem so I find it hard to fault Hynes on that. They are simply one of the worst drafting teams in the league.

He also did good work with his some of his young talent with the Devils in developing Severson, Palmieri, and Bratt (left Hischier and Hall out for being 1st OV but still Hischier developed nicely and Hall had his best year under Hynes).

That said, I'm still very suspect of the hire as I'm not sure he's a big enough change to fix our problems and he reminds me too much of Dean to be happy but I am also not as doom as some others. I am definitely willing to see how it turns out.
Another difference, Hynes apparently believes in practicing

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Sounds less like Evason and more like Yeo.

Reactions: Ladde

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Listening to Barreiro interview Guerin right now on KFAN. He's grilling him pretty good.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hall had his best year under Hynes).

Not to nitpick, this is true, as did Josi and Forsberg (up until this season), but both NJ and NSH fans insisted it was in spite of him, not because of him. That many voices saying the same thing across several years and two organizations, I'm inclined to believe they may be on to something

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Not to nitpick, this is true, as did Josi and Forsberg (up until this season), but both NJ and NSH fans insisted it was in spite of him, not because of him. That many voices saying the same thing across several years and two organizations, I'm inclined to believe they may be on to something
Fair point and it is concerning. At best, I'm lukewarm and willing to see. I honestly would have been more excited about Woodcroft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair point and it is concerning. At best, I'm lukewarm and willing to see. I honestly would have been more excited about Woodcroft.

I like that he's having practices, so we'll see what happens. I think he's basically the same philosophically as Dean is, but with the Yeo structure, so I'm not holding my breath for anything more than first round exits, but if he flops and we get a top 5-10 pick, that's great too.

Listening to Barreiro interview Guerin right now on KFAN. He's grilling him pretty good.

It was done by the time I started listening, what did he say?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Interesting... not sure how good of a coach he is. But riding Evason for the rest of this season, getting another high pick or two, and starting out with a younger squad, young coach, would seem to make a lot of sense. Hiring this guy is the definition of meh.

Reactions: Circulartheory

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like this isn't the sort of coach who would be down with trading Merrill, and spot Goligoski, Hunt, and ROR.

In a perfect world we could dump Goli, too, but he's made it clear that he loves the CountryClub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad