Management Per Russo: John Hynes to replace Evason

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As for candidates, former New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators coach John Hynes is the most logical. The Wild considered him for their vacant assistant coaching job last summer, but he wanted to wait for a head-coaching position. Guerin didn’t hire him but was his longtime GM and/or Pittsburgh Penguins player development guy in Wilkes-Barre. And Guerin’s senior adviser, Ray Shero, hired Hynes to be New Jersey’s coach.

1701125432205.png

What sitcom character does this guy look like?

hc-hynes,-john.jpg

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t know how Billy could possibly think Hynes is the answer here. I give him 2 years max. The interesting development over what I’m sure will be months/years of mediocre hockey will be if Guerin gets to hire the next coach or not.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Help or hurt the tank?
From the articles I'm reading, he sounds like a Evason clone, the goods and bads, but perhaps better at getting more out of his star players and more of a leader. Josi, Forsberg, Duchene had excellent years with him.

But like Evason, the problem is that he's stubborn. He has system that he wants and players have to adjust to it, not him adjusting the system to his players. So if you don't fit, you will have a miserable time under Hynes. Not to mention the lack of playoff winning experience.

Now one issue I see people were complaining was him unwilling to give youngsters playing time over the more gritty players. Normally thats a problem - but I think there's an argument to be had - the youngsters that were in question is Tolvanen, Trenin, and Glass. They are one-two HUGE steps below Faber, Rossi, Boldy. Perhaps those youngsters just aren't that talented.

But I'm willing to treat him with no judgement and give him a fair shot. If he's a better leader and is willing to change up that top 2 lines, I'll be happy to start.

Didn't Devils and Preds fans hate this guy?
As I noted in the other tread, IMO any coach with some NHL HC experience that is ever available was fired at one point or another, and not for positive reasons. So who knows how he will be with a new team. As long as he wasn't fired for being a total ***hole

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t know how Billy could possibly think Hynes is the answer here. I give him 2 years max. The interesting development over what I’m sure will be months/years of mediocre hockey will be if Guerin gets to hire the next coach or not.

How many GM's get to hire three coaches?

I think this just adds another countdown to Guerin's countdown.
  • If Kaprizov goes, Guerin's gone.
  • If Hynes goes, Guerin's gone.
  • If 2025-26 comes and this team isn't looking like a perennial playoff team with room to grow, Guerin's gone.
It kinda demonstrates Guerin's current headspace, either he doesn't think this is his last coach, or he knows this is his last coach and still goes to the country club because it's comfortable, rather than taking the time to get it right.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Meh... he's likely a place holder. It's a good thing that Dean is gone, so if we continue to suck? Now at least Billy has a chance of not surviving this year too...
I'm not convinced he's a placeholder, I haven't seen "interim" said anywhere. I think he was simply "on deck". I fully expect him to last as long as Guerin does.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
How many GM's get to hire three coaches?

I think this just adds another countdown to Guerin's countdown.
  • If Kaprizov goes, Guerin's gone.
  • If Hynes goes, Guerin's gone.
  • If 2025-26 comes and this team isn't looking like a perennial playoff team with room to grow, Guerin's gone.
It kinda demonstrates Guerin's current headspace, either he doesn't think this is his last coach, or he knows this is his last coach and still goes to the country club because it's comfortable, rather than taking the time to get it right.
I think he may get another coach. Idk, I just think Leipold has eaten up Guerin’s work until now. I don’t think Leipold thinks there’s many better options out there.

Reactions: HobeyBroten

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Someone on the main board just suggested he will ruin our prospects. That would be just what we need now that Rossi has found his game.

Meh... he's likely a place holder. It's a good thing that Dean is gone, so if we continue to suck? Now at least Billy has a chance of not surviving this year too...
Don't tease me with a good time.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad