Penticton YoungStars tournament (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
tbh Flames fans are being really hypocritical saying "McDavid better watch out or he'll get PLASTERED in this tournament or in the NHL."

Cmon guys, we all know that won't happen. Everyone was saying the exact same thing about Gaudreau but we all know he never got plastered once (minus the cheapshot in the playoffs by Burrows). Some players are so skilled and shifty that they can avoid the big hits. I expect the same with McDavid.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Connor McDavid before the Oshawa series in the Playoffs - 2.8 Points Per Game.
Connor McDavid in the Oshawa series - 1.4 Points Per Game.

This is the OHL we're talking about. It's far easier to score in the OHL than in the NCAA or NHL. I'd say he did a great job at shutting down an unbelievable player.

To be fair, while Cassels had an amazing series and turned a lot of heads in the playoffs, Oshawa used a five man group to shut down McDavid. He was just one of the group, albeit an important part of it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Flames will be just as good as the Jets and Oilers. They dominated this tournament last year. (+8 goal diffential .60 corsi). Only Granlund, Ortio, and Gaudreau won't be playing, not sure about Jooris or Ferland (contract).

They have just as good of a chance as anyone.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
There NHL team has noone who can hit. Either does the legit prospects. Only the face punchers invited have any toughness

Say hello to Michael Ferland, Ladi Smid, Bollig, Bouma. :laugh:

Talented offensive players in this tourney who can hit: Smith, Poirier, Bennett

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
tbh Flames fans are being really hypocritical saying "McDavid better watch out or he'll get PLASTERED in this tournament or in the NHL."

Cmon guys, we all know that won't happen. Everyone was saying the exact same thing about Gaudreau but we all know he never got plastered once (minus the cheapshot in the playoffs by Burrows). Some players are so skilled and shifty that they can avoid the big hits. I expect the same with McDavid.

I just find it ironic that they are hiding McDavid from the flames. How many posts did McTopChowda and ChaoticOrange say that Johnny was too scared to play against Anaheim in the third when the game was 5-1?... Too funny.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

While that is an ignorant comment to immediately assume that he'll get demolished in the NHL, the Pacific Division is full of goons and it could just be a case of "Wrong Place, Wrong Time". Injuries are often just based on bad luck, not necessarily any faults of the player.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I can read perfectly fine thank you. It's this scribble:

"There NHL team has noone who can hit. Either does the legit prospects. Only the face punchers invited have any toughness"

What are you talking about?

I said it's delaying the inevitable as in the Flames will beat the Oilers as in the Flames sweeping the Oil last season.

Seeing how angry the idea of waiting an extra 30 days to see mcdavid (unless u want to watch a non edm-cal game) is worth delaying the "inevitable"

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Was actually thinking the same thing, Virtanen is flying under the radar right now, but he is the kind of player rival teams will absolutely hate. His hits border on reckless.

Rodrigo Abols is an interesting name on the Canucks' roster. Big kid that played in the KHL last year. They'll be just showcasing him though, couldn't sign him if they wanted to. Similar to the Oilers with the Russian kid last year who's name escapes me right now.

Most of these prospects have played in body-checking leagues for some time now, and many have played against Virtanen for a few years. If his main contribution is a few body-checks and he isn't able to put it together and produce some offense I wouldn't worry too much about him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I just find it ironic that they are hiding McDavid from the flames. How many posts did McTopChowda and ChaoticOrange say that Johnny was too scared to play against Anaheim in the third when the game was 5-1?... Too funny.

Hiding McDavid from the Flames? Did I miss something?
You better hope that he doesn't face the Flames ;)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

NHL playoffs where every player is focused on winning the game for the team are a different beast than a prospects' camp where certain players would do anything to individually distinguish themselves from the pack.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
NHL playoffs where every player is focused on winning the game for the team are a different beast than a prospects' camp where certain players would do anything to individually distinguish themselves from the pack.

Whatever shoe fits.

Oilers won't play McDavid because Kanzig, Smith, and Ferland might be the three toughest young players in the game. But the Flames should play Gaudreau when, after every whistle Clayton Stoner punched him in the face and never got called for anything in a game that was out of reach. Makes sense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Now I don't remember exactly what the rules for YS Eligibility were, but assuming ELC guys + unsigned CHL prospects show up, the Flames roster could look something like

Kenny Agostino-Sam Bennett-Emile Poirier
Andrew Mangiapane-Bill Arnold-Garnet Hathaway
Morgan Klimchuk-Pavel Kharnaukov-Austin Caroll
Bryce Van Brabant-Tyson Baillie-Hunter Smith
x-Tomas Soustal-x

Wotherspoon-Morrison
Culkin-Kulak
Kanzig-Andersson
Kylington-Bruce
Sieloff-Fram
Roy-x

Gillies
MacDonald

...And of course tryout guys all over the place. Looks like a very good roster to me.

I know that feel. Young Stars would be even more exciting with Jankowski, Harrison, Gilmour, DeBlouw, and the standout invites Hawkins, Pitt, Dienes and Lomberg. The only CHL invites I'm interested in are Bailley, Roy, and Fram.

It really depends how the Oilers want to divvy up the AHL guys, but you could pretty reasonably see:

Chase-McDavid-Slepyshev
Moroz-Draisaitl-Platzer
Khaira-Yakimov-Bukarts
Kessy-Loiseau-Christoffer
(Roy,Sandford,Rankin, etc etc)

No idea on the defence but Nurse, Bear, Jones, Davis, LaLeggia, Simpson, Musil, Oesterle, Marino, Betker, Davidson, Waltz, Leveille, could all be in the mix. Heck if the Flames are bringing Wotherspoon the Oilers could bring Reinhart as well.

Good lord. The Oilers could ice forward/defence line of Draisaitl-McDavid-Slepyshev-Nurse-Reinhart. :laugh: that's just not fair for a rookie tourney.

Goalies, I really hope it's just Brossoit, Laurikainen, and Papirny. I have no desire to see Keven Bouchard play hockey again.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

And how do you know the oilers will hide McDavid from the flames?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Well, I don't recall saying that once, actually. Swell try, though.

Two, nothing has been at all confirmed as to which games McDavid will play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Whatever shoe fits.

Oilers won't play McDavid because Kanzig, Smith, and Ferland might be the three toughest young players in the game. But the Flames should play Gaudreau when, after every whistle Clayton Stoner punched him in the face and never got called for anything in a game that was out of reach. Makes sense.

Is anyone under 30 a rookie in Calgary now? :laugh: There's no way Ferland is eligible to attend this.

Kanzig is awful at hockey. Smith is decent but he's no Cole Cassels.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Ferland is an NHL rookie but imo he's graduated from this camp especially since he's played professional hockey for over a year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Is anyone under 30 a rookie in Calgary now? :laugh: There's no way Ferland is eligible to attend this.

Kanzig is awful at hockey. Smith is decent but he's no Cole Cassels.

Kanzig is awful yet he was + 56 over the past two seasons. And Jets and Oilers fans were saying it was unfair they had to play against him last year... Because he destroyed about half of your players. So terrible.

Garnett Hathaway.. Face puncher

Austin Carroll (even though he outscored Chase by a lot on the same team).. Face puncher

Hunter Smith (shut down McDavids line, won an OHL championship)... face puncher

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I don't know why people say Calgary is sending nothing but goons I expect each team will have 2 forwards and a dman that are wanting to make an impression primarily via fighting or other physical play.

They are going to likely send the top skilled prospect outside of McDavid/Eichel in Bennett as well as a handful of offensive dmen and high scoring AHLers should expect this Flames squad to be able to put the puck into the net more so than the Conner into the boards.

Ferland's 23. :help:

and only lost rookie eligibility by 2 games to boot.

If there's a reason he won't go it'll be the lack of a contract #1 it's very important they get it done by main camp and this tournament isn't going to distract either side from that as he's established enough to have a very good shot at the big team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad