Penticton YoungStars tournament (VAN/EDM/CGY/WPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The Jets roster looks pretty strong. Should be a fun tournament :)

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
As far as I'm concerned, take out MCD, nurse drai for the Calgary game, don't even care about there dusty roster, just want to piss off there fans, force them to watch the oilers if they want to see them lol

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You're inviting a guy (Proulx) that had four points last year. FOUR. Come on, he's clearly there for one reason only :laugh:

McDavid will likely play one of the first two games that are back to backs and the final game.

He was invited to the summer development camp, as well. Luckily for the other teams, he is godawful at everything hockey-related (skating included), so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

As far as I'm concerned, take out MCD, nurse drai for the Calgary game, don't even care about there dusty roster, just want to piss off there fans, force them to watch the oilers if they want to see them lol

We wouldn't miss a BoA NHL game for the world. It's always a treat watching the Oilers get their ***** handed to them. ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You're inviting a guy (Proulx) that had four points last year. FOUR. Come on, he's clearly there for one reason only :laugh:

McDavid will likely play one of the first two games that are back to backs and the final game.

I think he's been more so invited for a shot at a minor league deal more so than for this tournament

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
As usual, the Oilers take forever to release any news of any kind, and it's hard to say right now where the line will be drawn with the AHL guys... But.

Chase-McDavid-Slepyshev
Platzer/Moroz-Draisaitl-Bukarts

Will be precisely zero fun to play against.

No doubt there's top end skill there.

It'll be fun to watch Cole Cassels try to shut down (limit?) McDavid.
Draisaitle and Virtanen go head to head as both were high 2014 picks.

I wish I could watch some of these games in person

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
It's a fun tournament before camp with the first real games for these guys in months. I think anyone trying to tout it as the be all and end all of prospect talent should win your prize.

But to your last comment, I do wish Connor/Roslovic/Foley could be there. Not to try to win some sort of nonexistent prize, but because I'd just love to see more of them as a fan. Same goes for a guy like Niku, who the team picked in the 7th round this year. I'd just like to see more of him playing.

If I remember correctly, the Canucks had a few injuries to guys before last years tournament (Virtanen?). That was disappointing, and I'm guessing to Canucks fans mostly, but to all of us who just want to watch these guys play.

McCann
Virtanen
Cassels

Were all injured/sick with mono last year. Hopefully McCann is healthy as our tourney team may actually be competitive this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No doubt there's top end skill there.

It'll be fun to watch Cole Cassels try to shut down (limit?) McDavid.
Draisaitle and Virtanen go head to head as both were high 2014 picks.

I wish I could watch some of these games in person

Nurse vs Mccann too

Id think Vancouver this 3rd best with that forward group

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's a fun tournament before camp with the first real games for these guys in months. I think anyone trying to tout it as the be all and end all of prospect talent should win your prize.

But to your last comment, I do wish Connor/Roslovic/Foley could be there. Not to try to win some sort of nonexistent prize, but because I'd just love to see more of them as a fan. Same goes for a guy like Niku, who the team picked in the 7th round this year. I'd just like to see more of him playing.

If I remember correctly, the Canucks had a few injuries to guys before last years tournament (Virtanen?). That was disappointing, and I'm guessing to Canucks fans mostly, but to all of us who just want to watch these guys play.

I honestly wish they could have their NCAA and overseas players too.
It makes for the best hockey and would be even more entertaining.

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all of prospect pool evaluation.
But it does give us something to talk about and honestly harass(in good fun) each other about.
It's been the quality vs quantity argument between these two teams all summer.

One group of fans is going to come out of this with some ammo and the other group will be downplaying it. It's the nature of the beast and I miss it haha. :yo:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can't wait, even if its not real hockey. This years tourney should get special attention with McJesus playing.

Sucks none of the college guys can go, want to see them more than the rest of our prospects.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
McCann
Virtanen
Cassels

Were all injured/sick with mono last year. Hopefully McCann is healthy as our tourney team may actually be competitive this year.

Thanks, I thought there was a few. That was disappointing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of McCann.

I honestly wish they could have their NCAA and overseas players too.
It makes for the best hockey and would be even more entertaining.

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all of prospect pool evaluation.
But it does give us something to talk about and honestly harass(in good fun) each other about.
It's been the quality vs quantity argument between these two teams all summer.

One group of fans is going to come out of this with some ammo and the other group will be downplaying it. It's the nature of the beast and I miss it haha. :yo:

Whatever happens after there will be some that will make too big a deal out of it that's for sure.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McCann
Virtanen
Cassels

That's a great forward group this year for sure.
Would have been great to have Demko in net but every team will be missing a few key guys. It looks like any of the teams could end up winning it.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009

Do realize flames play the oilers in the regular season. Many won't care to watch this young star tourney.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Jets roster
Invites: Fronk + 3 AHL contracts (Serville, Stoykewych, Harstad).

This is a smaller roster than we’ve sent in the past. Usually we seem water down our good prospects with a lot of invites, guys they are looking at for the AHL, etc. This mean at least 2 full squads of players. This year there is 1 spare D and 1 spare F. It’s a little older as well.

Just guessing at lines
Lemieux - Petan - Ehlers
DeLeo – Copp – Kosmachuck
Spacek – Olsen – Lodge
Genero – Harkins – Bloomqvist
Fronk

Morrisesey – Kostalek
Stoykewych – Nogier
Harstad – Karlstrom
Serville

Goal
Hellebuyck
Comrie

D is a little thin past the first pair, but I don’t think it’s even possible to put out a weak forward line and the goaltending is off the charts good.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Winnipeg and Edmonton seem way better than the other two.

Now I don't remember exactly what the rules for YS Eligibility were, but assuming ELC guys + unsigned CHL prospects show up, the Flames roster could look something like

Kenny Agostino-Sam Bennett-Emile Poirier
Andrew Mangiapane-Bill Arnold-Garnet Hathaway
Morgan Klimchuk-Pavel Kharnaukov-Austin Caroll
Bryce Van Brabant-Tyson Baillie-Hunter Smith
x-Tomas Soustal-x

Wotherspoon-Morrison
Culkin-Kulak
Kanzig-Andersson
Kylington-Bruce
Sieloff-Fram
Roy-x

Gillies
MacDonald

...And of course tryout guys all over the place. Looks like a very good roster to me.

I know that feel. Young Stars would be even more exciting with Jankowski, Hickey, Harrison, Gilmour, DeBlouw, and the standout invites Hawkins, Pitt, Dienes and Lomberg. The only CHL invites I'm interested in are Bailley, Roy, and Fram.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It's a fun tournament before camp with the first real games for these guys in.
Yeah with no real practice together there is only so much you can read into it.

And Kraskovsky, although we knew we wouldn’t be seeing him. I was hoping to see Niku as well, he looks like a fantastic pick. Still even without all these guys our likely 4th line center was listed at #30 on McKenzie's final draft rankings this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can't understand this post. Is this English?

Yes, if you can properly read. The guy was saying he wouldnt mind keeping out those players because its no point. Calgary is bringing a roster of talentless goons, so why risk them getting hurt. Then you said it was delaying the inevitable (that it will happen in the NHL), but the Flames do not have tough players who could do this at the NHL level.

And I would agree, as much as Id want McDavid to embarass the Flames prospects, if they are just going to bring goons, id rather him him rest up for NHL

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
McDavid still had 7 points in 5 games....

Connor McDavid before the Oshawa series in the Playoffs - 2.8 Points Per Game.
Connor McDavid in the Oshawa series - 1.4 Points Per Game.

This is the OHL we're talking about. It's far easier to score in the OHL than in the NCAA or NHL. I'd say he did a great job at shutting down an unbelievable player.

Aug 21, 2014
Yes, if you can properly read. The guy was saying he wouldnt mind keeping out those players because its no point. Calgary is bringing a roster of talentless goons, so why risk them getting hurt. Then you said it was delaying the inevitable (that it will happen in the NHL), but the Flames do not have tough players who could do this at the NHL level.

And I would agree, as much as Id want McDavid to embarass the Flames prospects, if they are just going to bring goons, id rather him him rest up for NHL

I can read perfectly fine thank you. It's this scribble:

"There NHL team has noone who can hit. Either does the legit prospects. Only the face punchers invited have any toughness"

What are you talking about?

I said it's delaying the inevitable as in the Flames will beat the Oilers as in the Flames sweeping the Oil last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad