Post-Game Talk: | Pens win | 2 -1 series lead | All you Negative Nancy's can suck it

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
why are you people talking about contracts. wrong thread. geno and letang are carrying this team through 3 games. it's 0-3 without them
Letang is -3 in 3 games. I'm pretty sure that being responsible for 1 goals against more than you score PER GAME is NOT carrying anything for your team but baggage.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Going into the playoffs everyone was saying how this postseason didn’t matter bc we shouldn’t even be here and were going to get swept etc. bc we are old and suck and just a bad team. Now we are up 2-1 while missing a top 6 winger, top 4 D-man and our top 2 goalies and the same people are criticizing all the remaining players lol.

Idk I'm just commenting on how these guys have looked to me. I wasn't expecting much out of this team in the playoffs this year, but I wanted to see how Malkin and Letang did to judge whether they should be re-signed.

More than anything, I find it hilarious that the Penguins are beating the Rangers despite Malkin and Letang not playing well and the team playing an AHL goalie.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Idk I'm just commenting on how these guys have looked to me. I wasn't expecting much out of this team in the playoffs this year, but I wanted to see how Malkin and Letang did to judge whether they should be re-signed.

More than anything, I find it hilarious that the Penguins are beating the Rangers despite Malkin and Letang not playing well and the team playing an AHL goalie.
Not sure I'd want to base signing Malkin or Letang on one playoff series.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not sure I'd want to base signing Malkin or Letang on one playoff series.

If those guys can't get it done in the playoffs now, should we assume they'd get it done in the playoffs for the next 3-5 years?

I think this off-season should really determine the future of this team. If Malkin and Letang really aren't doing much and the Penguins don't go deep, I'm wondering why you'd bother re-signing them for what they'd cost.

To me, a successful playoffs would be winning a round, playing in a very competitive series with the Canes in round 2 (if not winning) and Malkin and Letang playing well. That's really what I'm hoping for.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You are either looking for clicks, new to hockey or you have absolutely no idea what you are watching.

You can thank us for helping you out though.
actually i think we'd be 0-3 without malkin and letang

Letang is -3 in 3 games. I'm pretty sure that being responsible for 1 goals against more than you score PER GAME is NOT carrying anything for your team but baggage.
oh good point. well who is filling the 2 hours of ice time he would have missed? who would replace him realistically and get us to 3 and 0?

If those guys can't get it done in the playoffs now, should we assume they'd get it done in the playoffs for the next 3-5 years?

I think this off-season should really determine the future of this team. If Malkin and Letang really aren't doing much and the Penguins don't go deep, I'm wondering why you'd bother re-signing them for what they'd cost.

To me, a successful playoffs would be winning a round, playing in a very competitive series with the Canes in round 2 (if not winning) and Malkin and Letang playing well. That's really what I'm hoping for.
seems like we're on pace for this so i agree

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I mean, you still gotta get there, right? It's easy to say the regular season doesn't matter until we stop making the playoffs because we get rid of guys who do well there.

Malkin's 5v5 play has been very troubling this year though overall. Much moreso than Letang imo who while he's struggled a bit this series has had a great year overall.

If they do re-sign Malkin, they really need to find some wingers that work for him. I don't think the current mix is right.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, you still gotta get there, right? It's easy to say the regular season doesn't matter until we stop making the playoffs because we get rid of guys who do well there.

Malkin's 5v5 play has been very troubling this year though overall. Much moreso than Letang imo who while he's struggled a bit this series has had a great year overall.

If they do re-sign Malkin, they really need to find some wingers that work for him. I don't think the current mix is right.

I guess the question here is whether the ownership/management is okay with the status quo. Is just making the playoffs enough? I honestly don't know.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I guess the question here is whether the ownership/management is okay with the status quo. Is just making the playoffs enough? I honestly don't know.
yes. but i doubt most fans are thinking of things in those terms. i just want to win games and make it to the next round

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'd say they probably do think it's enough. Ride out whatever playoffs this core has left in them, then rebuild. That would be my guess as to what their plan is.

Maybe something more dramatic will happen if those guys don't wanna play ball contractually though. It could just be posturing but Hextall has seemed genuinely serious about lowballing both. Maybe Malkin will put up with that, but I'm not sure Letang will.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I'd say they probably do think it's enough. Ride out whatever playoffs this core has left in them, then rebuild. That would be my guess as to what their plan is.

Maybe something more dramatic will happen if those guys don't wanna play ball contractually though. It could just be posturing but Hextall has seemed genuinely serious about lowballing both. Maybe Malkin will put up with that, but I'm not sure Letang will.
I know Geno said he wants to play 3 or 4 years but I don't think you will see him play more than 2. He's pretty beat up, that ain't changing. Two years and then he will retire IMO

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know Geno said he wants to play 3 or 4 years but I don't think you will see him play more than 2. He's pretty beat up, that ain't changing. Two years and then he will retire IMO
Probably a 2-3 year deal for Geno but he'll take it year by year and if his body gives out he might not finish it out.

Letang I think genuinely could play 4-5 more and may be determined to do that. Guess we'll see how far he declines in the next few years.

Reactions: Factorial

Fordy

May 28, 2008
malkin may have 2 very bad knees and a dream but i think he would finish a 5 year contract

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Letang isn't worth the money he'd get if he's not on your top PP unit and Letang would probably have a hissy fit if he was taken off the top unit. I'm also really unsure of how Letang will age, I'm concerned what he'd look like if he lost a step.

This is more of an off-season discussion though. Let's see how the playoffs play out and make a decision after that. If the team wins this round and either beats the Canes or is very competitive with them next round with Malkin and Letang playing well, I think that makes it easy to make a decision to keep them.
You are right about the hissy fit throwing, probably.

But I don't see why a player can't make a lot of money and not play on PP1.

I guess I just don't value powerplay participation and statistical accumulation all that much if the player isn't making the powerplay better. Letang is our most important player at even strength which 75% of the game is played at. That is enough for me.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
He might be resigned to sell tickets. Lots of people who pay money to see the game want to see a win. I’m not sure he helps it this point and moving forward.

Let’s get younger. Let’s not be Detroit.
Teddy Blueger as 2c would definitely help this team win more…quit saying you want Malkin gone because you think it will help this team win more. Just admit you hate the guy and you don’t want him around anymore

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Dumo isn’t ready to go Monday, I’d play Petts on L1 with Letang…if Sullivan doesn’t change out Math-Letang, he might as well tie the players’ hands behind their back and send them out there…he should be fired…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are right about the hissy fit throwing, probably.

But I don't see why a player can't make a lot of money and not play on PP1.

I guess I just don't value powerplay participation and statistical accumulation all that much if the player isn't making the powerplay better. Letang is our most important player at even strength which 75% of the game is played at. That is enough for me.

Letang has regularly been removed from the top PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad