Post-Game Talk: Pens waddle back to their plane, tails between their legs. JETS WIN 4-2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Great game!! was a little worried after the first period but man did our big guns turn it around! Kane (young money) was dynooomiteeee!! and Buff was a mad man possessed out there !

Was also impressed with the energy that wright brought in the first period, he played physical and layed some decent hits in the limited time he played.

only minus for me in the game was clitsome...down right scary at some points!

Mario's pool boy lmao! instant classic

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone else see the Gangnam Style Jets fan on the TSN broadcast (near the end of the game):handclap:

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I went to the game but we paid some big bucks for front row, 6 seats down from the penalty box. (Got to see Evgeny pouting)

Our ST's are in the upper bowl. So this was different. You don't get to see plays develop as nicely, but the trade off is 'in your face' hockey.

That game was scary good. I say that because I have this haunting feeling about the Islanders. Monumental effort against the Pens.

I will say down at ice level some of the bigger guys, really are thin, and some come across as BIG. The biggest thing I'm seeing overall is the Jets play bigger. In everyway. I love it.

However, some guys at that level now look REALLY small. Brian Little, etc. The disparity is more obvious this year. ;)

There's been a lot of good comments so far but I have to repeat Jokinen is looking very mediocre. A lot of people are defending non-producing players with comments like, 'Yea but their smart'. My response would be: How many -smart, non-producing players do we need-?

Pavy is Pavy. Lets a soft one in, then shuts the door on massive assaults that probably could have seen the pens score 1-2 more easily.

We also had a LOT of opportunity that did not come through. The near misses in this game were pretty big.

A stellar game. I only hope they can keep it in this gear for Sunday where I will be back in the good ol' loud 300's. :D

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Aside from just letting Sid skate right in on Pavelec for an easy goal in the first period this was fantastic effort by the Jets & an amazing comeback win.

Malkin is a big baby when he does not score or his team loses. :laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
There's been a lot of good comments so far but I have to repeat Jokinen is looking very mediocre. A lot of people are defending non-producing players with comments like, 'Yea but their smart'. My response would be: How many -smart, non-producing players do we need-?

:D

Joki was signed for 2 years at $4.5 a season, considering his poor play in Calgary in the final stretch you wonder if just a change in scenery is all he needed to get his game back. I'm wondering if age has caught up with him, he's 34 two years older than even Antropov.

Last edited by a moderator:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We could of had Jagr for the same price. :(

Joki was signed for 2 years at $4.5 a season, considering his poor play in Calgary in the final stretch you wonder if just a change in scenery is all he needed to get his game back. I'm wondering if age has caught up with him, he's 34 two years older than even Antropov.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Jokinen was a good signing.
He hasn't produced a pile yet but his size on the first line has been great.

I love tha the first line is big enough that teams have trouble handling it.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011

I didn't know he was older than Antro. I am trying to remain optimistic... in hopes that this is just part of the adjustment period, and he still needs to catch up a bit perhaps training wise? I don't know... definitely a big wait and see situation though.

jetkarma*

34 isn't old for an NHL player , whether he is in a decline or not isn't because he is 34 imo . Tell that to all the much older , highly effective players in the league.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Maybe people should remember this the next time they are ragging on Ron.

"The pair of Ron Hainsey and Mark Stuart was again strong. In four games Hainsey has been on the ice for only one goal against. He was a plus two in the game"

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
34 isn't old for an NHL player , whether he is in a decline or not isn't because he is 34 imo . Tell that to all the much older , highly effective players in the league.

Look at the rosters of other teams in the league and you won't find many 34 year old's filling a top 6 spot. Teemu excluded because he's always going to be 22 in my eyes!

jetkarma*

Maybe people should remember this the next time they are ragging on Ron.

"The pair of Ron Hainsey and Mark Stuart was again strong. In four games Hainsey has been on the ice for only one goal against. He was a plus two in the game"

He has played really well. Good on him , good for us:handclap:

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
When I watch Jokinen and Pony play they remind me of the entire Jets team at the beginning of last season, I believe they are getting off to a bit of a slow start simply because it's a new team in a new place with different coaches, they will come around...much like the Jets did last season in December. the good points on these 2 are Jokinen's two way game and Pony's forecheck, the offensive production will come in time, remember they had zero pre-season games with their new team.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Look at the rosters of other teams in the league and you won't find many 34 year old's filling a top 6 spot. Teemu excluded because he's always going to be 22 in my eyes!

Lets add some more to the list of 34+ on the top six (just going off yahoo depth charts.....probably not the most accurate but oh well lol)

Datsyuk, Elias, S. Koivu, R. Whitney, M. St. Louis, S. Sullivan, A. Kovalev, D. Alfredsson, E. Cole, Gionta, Hecht, Iginla, Cullen.

A decent handful. I think Ollie will play a key role in are organization in the form of leadership and work ethic.

and yes... I am bored at work ha

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jokinen has been placing more pucks on net than Slater, Wheeler, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, or Burmistrov...

To think the points won't come is just... for lack of words that I can use here safely: silly :S

Don't look at boxcar stats.. they will just lie to you... especially with 4 friggin games? geeze...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jokinen has been placing more pucks on net than Slater, Wheeler, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, or Burmistrov...

To think the points won't come is just... for lack of words that I can use here safely: silly :S

Don't look at boxcar stats.. they will just lie to you... especially with 4 friggin games? geeze...

I just expected 4-5 goals from him at this point in the season!:sarcasm::D

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

uhhhh...

While there may not be a lot of guys who are exactly 34 (I hear Datsyuk is pretty good though) there's plenty of players >30. The whole myth that guys north of 30 don't play good hockey is very flawed.

ANA - Koivu (38), Selanne (42)
CAL - Iginla (35), Tanguay (33), Glencross (30), Cammalleri (30)
COL - Hejduk (36)
CBJ - Umberger (30), Prospal (37)
DAL - Jagr (40), Ryder (32), Whitney (40)
DET - Datsyuk (34), Zetterberg (32), Bertuzzi (37), Franzen (33)
EDM - Smyth (36)
FLO - Kovalev (39)
LA - Williams (31)
MIN - Heatley (32)
MTL - Cole (34), Plekanec (30), Bourque (31), Gionta (34)
NSH - Legwand (32), Fisher (32), Erat (31)
NJ - Elias (36), Zubrus (34)
NYI - Boyes (30)
NYR - Richards (32)
OTT - Alfredsson (40)
PHX - Sullivan (38), Vermette (30), Doan (36), Vrbata (31)
PIT - Kunitz (33), Dupuis (33)
SJ - Thornton (33), Marleau (33), Clowe (30), Havlat (31)
STL - McDonald (35)
TB - Lecavalier (32), St. Louis (37)
VAN - H&D Sedin (32)

What you should have said is there aren't many teams without guys over 30 in their top 6.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Lets add some more to the list of 34+ on the top six (just going off yahoo depth charts.....probably not the most accurate but oh well lol)

Datsyuk, Elias, S. Koivu, R. Whitney, M. St. Louis, S. Sullivan, A. Kovalev, D. Alfredsson, E. Cole, Gionta, Hecht, Iginla, Cullen.

A decent handful. I think Ollie will play a key role in are organization in the form of leadership and work ethic.

and yes... I am bored at work ha

I'm seeing around 30 forwards that are 35 or older. Most of them have a point or less this season except for the ten or so stars. No idea where Jokinen will be in three years.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Lucky for him that Schiefele is probably going down otherwise he'd have less shots than him soon.

I'd doubt it... if Scheifele even gets on the 3rd line consistently and Jokinen kepps going on the KJW line (see 5 SOG vs WSH) he will create some very large offence... ESPECIALLY when Jokinen's PP starts going again which has consistently been in the top 50 of the league for a few years.

We also have to remember two things:
How Noel uses centres minimizes their offensive production at 5v5
This is an extremely small sample

I have no doubts that Jokinen is and will be the weak link in that line, especially at even strength... but...
he has the speed to keep up with Kane and Wheeler
he has a great ability to pick up rebounds (look at how many he got last season and look how many Kane created for Welly last season)
he allows us to have a real top6 since he allows Little to stay with Ladd
he allows us to have a real top9 since he allows Burmi to stay on the 3rd line

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
uhhhh...

While there may not be a lot of guys who are exactly 34 (I hear Datsyuk is pretty good though) there's plenty of players >30. The whole myth that guys north of 30 don't play good hockey is very flawed.

ANA - Koivu (38), Selanne (42)
CAL - Iginla (35), Tanguay (33), Glencross (30), Cammalleri (30)
COL - Hejduk (36)
CBJ - Umberger (30), Prospal (37)
DAL - Jagr (40), Ryder (32), Whitney (40)
DET - Datsyuk (34), Zetterberg (32), Bertuzzi (37), Franzen (33)
EDM - Smyth (36)
FLO - Kovalev (39)
LA - Williams (31)
MIN - Heatley (32)
MTL - Cole (34), Plekanec (30), Bourque (31), Gionta (34)
NSH - Legwand (32), Fisher (32), Erat (31)
NJ - Elias (36), Zubrus (34)
NYI - Boyes (30)
NYR - Richards (32)
OTT - Alfredsson (40)
PHX - Sullivan (38), Vermette (30), Doan (36), Vrbata (31)
PIT - Kunitz (33), Dupuis (33)
SJ - Thornton (33), Marleau (33), Clowe (30), Havlat (31)
STL - McDonald (35)
TB - Lecavalier (32), St. Louis (37)
VAN - H&D Sedin (32)

What you should have said is there aren't many teams without guys over 30 in their top 6.

30 is a lot different from 34 in sports, pretty sure you know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad