Post-Game Talk: Pens waddle back to their plane, tails between their legs. JETS WIN 4-2!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazaaa*

I was watching the Penguins feed, and the crowd noise was high in the 2nd, and deafening in the 3rd, with their announcers commenting on it being the loudest building in the league.

Even Richardson was drowned out by the crowd noise while announcing Wheelers' goal.

CBC and TSN definitely mute the crowd noise.

Wish they wouldn't. Really enjoyed it last year.
One or two old people probably complained so they toned it down.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Postma's poor defensive decision making in his own zone (which was minimized in this game) overshadows the fact that he's pretty smart defensively in the offensive zone. He has strong decision making abilities when it comes to protecting the line.

Wellwood had a beauty of a saucer pass to Ponikarovsky at one point and he made a few good takeaways when forechecking. Nothing fantastic but nothing bad.

I noticed Postma quite a bit in our zone tonight, and for good reasons not bad. He used his body to separate the opponent from the puck, he used his speed and stickhandling to evade forecheckers and start the rush.

It seems to me he is starting to figure out he belongs here. That is great news for us.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Postma has really been a pleasant surprise the last few games, seems like everything is slowing down for him. He'll still need to be used judiciously, but I no longer feel like he's a MA Bergeron type liability in his own end.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Postma has really been a pleasant surprise the last few games, seems like everything is slowing down for him. He'll still need to be used judiciously, but I no longer feel like he's a MA Bergeron type liability in his own end.

Hold on there, NO ONE is as much of a liability as MA Bergeron. Otherwise I agree. I think it's becoming clear Postma's going to stick around one Bogosian comes back and Clitsome will be the 7th D.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
This game was a beauty.
One thing I noticed, especially on highlights after the game is how Kane points out the effort of Buff and Wheeler on his goal. For all the talk about Kane being selfish and one-dimensional, I really think he's growing as a player and teammate. Check out how he points at buff and wheeler after scoring (he's no Nail Yakupov). He's actually acknowledging his teammates efforts! And yes, his haircut is hilarious...
Love the direction this team is heading. Me thinks Noel has the boys bought in to the system.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Kane is getting better each game. Obviously only 4 games in but he's looking well worth his deal. Byfuglien also looks fantastic.

Only minus for me was Clitsome.

Big win, can't have a let down against the Isles on Sunday. Did not play well against them last year

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Interesting grab from tonight's stat sheet.

Giveaways:
Pitt: 9 - Win: 7

Takeaways:
Pitt: 1 - Win: 10

Edit:
Best thing I noticed in the opposing team's GDT:
Even they hate their own idiot homer announcers. Those guys are a joke.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
When we were down 2-0 I thought that was it for us, didn't expect us to climb back. We had a real solid first few minutes to begin the game but we stunk the first period. So impressed with this Jets team, they persevered, stuck with it and did what it took.

Byfuglien was a beast offensively. Loved Evander Kane. Proud of this Winnipeg Jets team.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
When we were down 2-0 I thought that was it for us, didn't expect us to climb back. We had a real solid first few minutes to begin the game but we stunk the first period. So impressed with this Jets team, they persevered, stuck with it and did what it took.

Byfuglien was a beast offensively. Loved Evander Kane. Proud of this Winnipeg Jets team.

Yes, this. It's so early, but in a shortened season it's hard not to be optimistic.
Very proud of our boys too

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I noticed Postma quite a bit in our zone tonight, and for good reasons not bad. He used his body to separate the opponent from the puck, he used his speed and stickhandling to evade forecheckers and start the rush.

It seems to me he is starting to figure out he belongs here. That is great news for us.

I agree. The kid has looked sharp and he will score soon.

I was terrified based on the reports from out east. Hopefully we never discover the depth of their issues with him.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Wish they wouldn't. Really enjoyed it last year.
One or two old people probably complained so they toned it down.

Why would anyone want to listen to turned up fan noise on TV.
I'd rather hear what is happening on the ice than cheers and chants. It's not like they aren't turned down so low you can't hear them.

It's like people complaining they don't broadcast four minutes of national anthems so we can hear "True North" shouted once. Personally I don't want to here the anthems during a broadcast.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just finished watching the game on PVR...wow!
This looks like a different team than last year. Buff, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi are all playing better than this time last year, but I really think the difference maker is Pavelec. Our GAA at this time last year was 3.5 and our record was 1 and 3. It's never all on the goalie, but Pavs is holding us in there and allowing the confidence to build and character to develop.
Kudos to the coaching staff as well, for having the courage to juggle the lines early-on, when LLW and JKW were not working. There is no time to dither around in a short season.
Bedtime.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I love the title of this thread because I just found out The Pens aren't even going on their plane.

Stuck in Winnipeg overnight! So they can think over their loss.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Just finished watching the game on PVR...wow!
This looks like a different team than last year. Buff, Kane, Wheeler, Burmi are all playing better than this time last year, but I really think the difference maker is Pavelec. Our GAA at this time last year was 3.5 and our record was 1 and 3. It's never all on the goalie, but Pavs is holding us in there and allowing the confidence to build and character to develop.
Kudos to the coaching staff as well, for having the courage to juggle the lines early-on, when LLW and JKW were not working. There is no time to dither around in a short season.
Bedtime.

.930 vs .906 vs .8 something is a big big part of it.

If Pavi can maintain .930 ish, this will be a really really good team. .914 ish should mean playoffs. Hopefully he can be in thst range.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think Noel's decision to put Little on the wing and Antropov at C has been a great one.

For me the biggest thing I notice is speed and positioning. To me it looks like the centre plays down low in both zones in Noel's system. Down low in the offensive zone to cover for pinching defenseman or the center plays up and in front of the goaltender. Both of those suit Antropov much better as he's bigger and slower. Little looks far more effective on the wing as he can generate offense.

In the defensive zone the centre also seems to be the one who backchecks the hardest and will chip in on plays behind our own net. Again it's an area where size helps and gives Antropov the edge.

Myself and others have often been talking about putting Little at RW before the season began. It seemed like a move that would be made when Scheifele/Burmistrov cracked the top 6, but I'm happy Noel pulled the trigger on it earlier. I was actually worried Noel would never do it as Noel recognized that even with a lack of size Little is very good defensively.

Overall I'm beginning to see the players are executing Noel's system far better this year. Much higher commitment to defense and it's a system that highlights the skills of our wingers and defenseman, while the negative is that it lowers the plays made by our centres. This however is probably the best system for us as most of our offense will come from the wings and D anyway.

Interesting note about moving Little to RW and Antro to C.

-Little's 30 goal season was played there but I think he's more of a playmaker tbh and I think he's able to utilize that more on the wing. It seems to allow him to carry the puck more.
-Antro had his best season at center a few years ago playing in Atlanta.
This could work out very well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad