Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Sens | 6-4 Ugly win | Zucker come back!! We need you :(

What is worse:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That game was garbage…giving up that lead to the Sens, not exactly the ‘85 Oilers…I think we got way off our game trying to get back at the dirty Sens and their cheap hits…that doesn’t bode well for encountering teams like Boston in the playoffs…it was looking like the late DB Pens there in the third…
Or the 2018 pens
Or the 2019 pens
Or the 2020 pens
Or the 2021 pens

Stop using DB when we have fresh bad material.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Goals for makes more sense over a bigger number of games than those three have had this season, I think. At this point it is a rather PDO influenced stat.
The argument here is that those guys together don't old up against a heavy forecheck,
don't win enough battles on the wall, can no longer get a cycle going and are more or less exclusively about the rush when facing hard opposition. Dangerous when they get those, sure, but there is little in the way of plan B. Not like we haven't seen this in the playoffs recently either.

I am not saying this to criticize Sid or any of them individually. Its just that they're all similar in what they're now good and (relatively speaking) not so good at. Just like one shouldn't put Geno, Kapanen and Erod together. Problem is that we really don't have that physical specimen who can play with either Sid or Geno, unless perhaps a guy like McGinn could make a difference, or unless you get the size of Carter (or... Zohorna) up there.

Imagine a Tkachuk on our team... or if we went for Evander Kane and it worked. Besides the latter, hard to get those guys if you don't draft them though.

They should be all in on Kane if possible........sucks that zuck got injured, I was hoping he would catch fire and bring back more physicality.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I understand him being pissed at Tkachuk taking that run, but willingly fighting the guy and almost getting his face caved in seems like an unwise way of getting back at him.
I don't even have a problem with the "run" Tkachuk took. He lined up a guy and wanted to land a big hit. Marino had his shoulder to him before turning/dodging last second so it wouldn't have been a board or anything. People would crank off until they died of dehydration if we were losing and Geno pasted a guy in that situation. :laugh: Marino's an idiot for taking offense to the situation, crosschecking Tkachuk half a dozen times, then dropping the gloves with someone several tiers above him in fighting ability.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't even have a problem with the "run" Tkachuk took. He lined up a guy and wanted to land a big hit. Marino had his shoulder to him before turning/dodging last second so it wouldn't have been a board or anything. People would crank off until they died of dehydration if we were losing and Geno pasted a guy in that situation. :laugh: Marino's an idiot for taking offense to the situation, crosschecking Tkachuk half a dozen times, then dropping the gloves with someone several tiers above him in fighting ability.

Half the time I don't even know what Marino's trying to do out there, so at least his questionable decision to drop the gloves with Tkachuk is consistent with his questionable decision making with the puck on his stick.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Half the time I don't even know what Marino's trying to do out there, so at least his questionable decision to drop the gloves with Tkachuk is consistent with his questionable decision making with the puck on his stick.
He's definitely not as bad as he was as a sophomore, but yeah, he seems like a completely different player from the calm and calculated player he was in his rookie season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It’s extremely possibly that Marino just caught lightning in a bottle that one season and is not actually very good. Or very smart. I mean he wasn’t Adam Oates before the fight but I think he shaved a few points off his SAT scores last night. :laugh:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It was nice to see Simon chip in a goal. This team is injured so often that I'm almost positive we'll see him in the playoffs for at least a game or two, so here's hoping he can be at least a little productive.

Overall...the Pens have been really sloppy for the past couple of weeks. They are not dominating defensively like they had been...but they're still finding ways to win most of their games, which is what good teams do, so I can't complain too much.

They're also top 10 in the league for goals per game despite getting a whopping total of 10 combined goals from Sid and Geno to this point in the season. That bodes well. Sid is still only shooting at 2/3 his career average; he's getting about as many shots off as he usually does, though. It may not normalize all the way back to the mean (he's no spring chicken, realistically), but I doubt he'll be shooting at under 10% for the whole season. The only other time his shooting percentage was even close to this low was in 2011-12 when he was still rusty coming off the extended concussion/neck injury situation.

It certainly helps that Guentzel is scoring really well - he's tied for 7th in the league and only 6 goals off Ovi for the league lead!

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
That third period seemed to last forever. I haven't looked at the stats but the 4th line was nowhere to be found in that period and we kept on playing line 1 which was absolutely caved in our end most of the time. When your goalie is your best or at least second best player (after Matheson) in a 6-4 win, you gotta think you rode your luck a bit. We basically played no neutral zone defense, a recipe for trouble against a young, fast team with nothing to lose.
Malkin's shot seems to be fine which is great news but for some reason we keep using him on the left point on the PP which is just silly. We are going to get goals because there is too much talent on PP1 not to but I want to see that Geno one-timer being utilised more.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Watching the game this morning (because f*** a Melnyk if I'm going to watch an Ottawa game live :laugh: ), I'm not entirely sure the sloppy defensive play is because the team is lazy, per se. The Sens' heavy physical game really does throw us off our game, which we should think about finding a way or a lineup that alleviates that a bit going into the stretch.

And anyhow, never not forget:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He's definitely not as bad as he was as a sophomore, but yeah, he seems like a completely different player from the calm and calculated player he was in his rookie season.

we played a different defense then with Martin than we do now…D men are more aggressively jumping into the offensive plays…hasn’t suited Marino’s best game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad