GDT: Pens vs Red Wings

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Probably why he's only played one game. He already has his set spot in the lineup.

Only the penguins would start wooing a top six guy to sign by putting him in the bottom six.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This is the stuff with this org that pisses so many people off:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Perron-hopes-to-flourish/stories/201509260050

Perron is basically starting out on the third line and being told he has to prove he is worthy of being in the top six. Yet Kunitz played his way off the Crosby line and was less productive than Perron since Perron came over in Jan. In fact after Perron's hot streak was over, he still out produced Kunitz, despite being bounced all around the lineup.

Then we have posters wondering why this board is tired of Kunitz being gifted premium spots in the lineup.

Uh, he's not being gifted a spot, bruh. Look at how good he was 4 years ago. How can you possibly look past that?!

"Gifted." God, some of you people are beyond help. MJ's not Bylsma, man.

May 10, 2010

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780578&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

"Kunitz knows that coveted spot alongside two of the best players in the game isn’t necessarily going to be handed to him"

That pretty much admits it will probably just be handed to him, barring some miraculous event.

The Sun won't necessarily come up tomorrow...

It is pretty much 'unnecessarily' getting handed to him and he knows it as you say. Let's just hope that this coach will make a change when it becomes so obvious unlike Bylsma.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is the stuff with this org that pisses so many people off:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Perron-hopes-to-flourish/stories/201509260050

Perron is basically starting out on the third line and being told he has to prove he is worthy of being in the top six. Yet Kunitz played his way off the Crosby line and was less productive than Perron since Perron came over in Jan. In fact after Perron's hot streak was over, he still out produced Kunitz, despite being bounced all around the lineup.

Then we have posters wondering why this board is tired of Kunitz being gifted premium spots in the lineup.

"If Perron finally flourishes". That's a ******** statement. He hasnt even been here a full season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Isn't that the way it goes on the Pens, though? If you don't light the world on fire immediately, regardless of the circumstances, you're an irredeemable failure. Unless, of course, if you're a veteran. Then you're good to go. :laugh:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Isn't that the way it goes on the Pens, though? If you don't light the world on fire immediately, regardless of the circumstances, you're an irredeemable failure. Unless, of course, if you're a veteran. Then you're good to go. :laugh:

Team seniority n'at.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perron was flourishing when he got here, where he scored like 9 goals in 14 games when playing with Crosby. It's just so stupidly easy to know what to do with Perron, but they just choose not to do it. Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist or Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist, it is just amazingly easy.

He actually did light the world on fire immediately when he got here, he just then went cold and the organization forgot that he lit it up in the beginning.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Seriously, just trade perron now for the crappy vet d you know they'll go for this year if he's going to be misused like that. And if he's that bad shame on them for wasting a first round pick.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would feel sorry for Kessel if he slumped...4th line RWer. Pens are pretty much the dumbest coached and the dumbest org in the league. A rock sees more.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Perron was flourishing when he got here, where he scored like 9 goals in 14 games when playing with Crosby. It's just so stupidly easy to know what to do with Perron, but they just choose not to do it. Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist or Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist, it is just amazingly easy.

He actually did light the world on fire immediately when he got here, he just then went cold and the organization forgot that he lit it up in the beginning.

Thing is, everyone was in a slump, just not Perron. Even Malkin went ten games without a point.

Only Crosby and Hornqvist were not in slumps. Pretty much throw out a name besides those two and the numbers will be poor from Feb on when Perron hit his slump.

I'm not sure why he is the one being held accountable here, especially when he is a proven top six guy who avgs 48 points a season his his career.

Perron is banished to third line duties while Kunitz is handed a spot with Crosby and Kessel. I don't get it...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I would feel sorry for Kessel if he slumped...4th line RWer. Pens are pretty much the dumbest coached and the dumbest org in the league. A rock sees more.

Nah, too many years on the contract with too much money and it would look bad. Kessel could transform into Adams somehow and still be on the 1st line.

Thing is, everyone was in a slump, just not Perron. Even Malkin went ten games without a point.

Only Crosby and Hornqvist were not in slumps. Pretty much throw out a name besides those two and the numbers will be poor from Feb on when Perron hit his slump.

I'm not sure why he is the one being held accountable here, especially when he is a proven top six guy who avgs 48 points a season his his career.

Perron is banished to third line duties while Kunitz is handed a spot with Crosby and Kessel. I don't get it...

Yes you do. They've put years into promoting Kunitz and getting to know him as a person. The big thing, and this is sad to say, is that Kunitz and the media are even acknowledging that last season wasn't good for him. For a stretch last season when they stopped being able to ignore the stench it was that he had bad luck. They've moved on to him having a bounce back season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like the Penguins reward players who have been on their team for longest (as do a lot of teams). The same thing happened last year with Martin playing on the top PP over Ehrhoff, they love doing favors for players who have been there for long. Perron is the new guy, he has only been here for half a season, so I think that's why they hold him accountable and let other slumping, long tenured players like Malkin and Kunitz slide. Perron wasn't tenured and isn't as good as Kessel (like the poster above said, they won't demote Kessel even if he sucks).

Gotta be the Crosby kunitz bromance. I can find no other explanation.

This is another possibility.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
A. It was 2012
B. It wasn't an awful pick
C. How don't you want to start bashing Pouliot yet and then proceeding to post the next sentence?

Pouliot's only severe issue right now that can't really be taught is urgency. You can fix defensive positioning, you really can't make a guy more urgent. That's something he'll have to figure out if he wants to be anything in the NHL.

It was an awful pick. FF was BPA and Truba was BDA. DP was a 15-20 guy, not a 5-10 guy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It was an awful pick. FF was BPA and Truba was BDA. DP was a 15-20 guy, not a 5-10 guy.

Pouliot was almost definitely going to Buffalo at pick 11, so no, he really wasn't a 15-20 pick. But that's arguing small details (I thought of him as a 10-15 pick). The point is, it wasn't a massive reach like Jankowsky, so I don't think of it as an awful pick. I would much rather have taken Trouba or FF, but it wasn't off the board enough for me to call it an awful pick. I guess it just goes back to what your definition of an awful pick is.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Unless he has a couple of.mike green years I think it's a bad pick. Considering that letang will.be the top pp guy no matter how bad he is in the role.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It wasn't an awful pick but it could have been better... well, who knows how they would have developed those kids. Forsberg could be on the 4th line earning it right now and Trouba could have spent a season dragging Scuderi around before getting traded.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It wasn't an awful pick but it could have been better... well, who knows how they would have developed those kids. Forsberg could be on the 4th line earning it right now and Trouba could have spent a season dragging Scuderi around before getting traded.

Fp7lBqt.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It wasn't an awful pick but it could have been better...

This is exactly where I'm at. It wasn't an AWFUL pick, but if I could do it over again, there's no way I'd take Pouliot. I'd take Trouba so fast, Trouba would fill so many needs for us right now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The whole angle of "Well, Pouliot's development leaves a lot to be desired, but who knows how poorly we'd have ****ed up (insert name)" is so weird, and depressing. Yeah, it's probably true, but it doesn't absolve the Pouliot pick as being the wrong one. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I dunno fellas, I agree the org is favoring Kunitz because he's a Penguins bro and all...

However, this team can't progress with that kind of attitude.

Kunitz is going to have to play craptacular hockey to get removed from that line now. It's going to be easy to rack up points with those two and that's my fear right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00