GDT: Pens vs Red Wings

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I realize we're rotating stars in and out of the line-up, but considering Letang took a puck off the leg last game, should we read anything into him missing two games in a row?

He was in the main practice group this morning.
Doubt it's anything to be worried about.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
he can't honestly believe that, right? More importantly, our coaches can't honestly believe that, right?

I would have no problem with that statement if he could still actually defend, but he doesn't even play well in his own zone anymore either. He's not a defensive D-man, hes a pylon.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The sad part is.... has anyone actually beat out kunitz for the top spot? That's more of a reflection of how sad the forward depth is.

Our forward depth is fantastic. We will be forced to play one guy somewhat over his head on the 2nd line. Now the coach may choose to put Perron on the third and put an extra guy who doesn't belong in the top 6, but that's not a depth issue that's a coach issue. But then our bottom 6 is full of guys who can fill out multiple 3rd lines.

So far in pre-season he's been outplayed by at least Bennett and Plotnikov. And Perron is also a better player than Kunitz. So I would argue that yes, people have beat out Kunitz. The coach just doesn't care.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Our forward depth is fantastic. We will be forced to play one guy somewhat over his head on the 2nd line. Now the coach may choose to put Perron on the third and put an extra guy who doesn't belong in the top 6, but that's not a depth issue that's a coach issue. But then our bottom 6 is full of guys who can fill out multiple 3rd lines.

So far in pre-season he's been outplayed by at least Bennett and Plotnikov. And Perron is also a better player than Kunitz. So I would argue that yes, people have beat out Kunitz. The coach just doesn't care.

It's also a lot easier to look good playing with two of the best players in the world. Put Kunitz with some coal miners and see what happens.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
My biggest concern on D is Pouliot. You expect an older Scuds and some others to be bad but DePo looks awful. The same mistakes, coasting and soft play are still there. Plus he's not really pushing offensively.

He seems like he has no chip on his shoulder and plays mopey. He's to good to be a tweener and the Pens really need to challenge him.

I agree with this. He has looked awful, no urgency, coasting...but I hadn't thought of the word "mopey." However, that kind of fits. I sure HOPE that if he's "mopey," it's not because he's basically been told that he -- due to the glut of d-men -- will start the year in WBS (and thus he's resigned to that). Look, if I were DP and I knew that no matter what, Scuds had a spot -- my spot -- in the lineup, I'd be not very happy about it either...

Another thing is that I would rather see Hornqvist play LW with Crosby and Kessel than play with Malkin. They just have contrasting styles and its a bad fit. I like Hornqvist but Malkin needs a winger that he can play soccer/ hockey with.

Someone else (Empoleon? Coach McGuirk?) proposed the idea of

Hornqvist-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov

The more I think about it, the more I think that could be something viable to at least try...

Of course, I STILL say that

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel

should be tried.

What's the biggest problem with trying EITHER of these options, though? The fact that Chris Kunitz remains on this team -- a team where the coaching staff seems to have a hard time realizing that he's a bottom 6-er at this point in his career, on this team...

Scuderi, Kunitz, prospect, pick, retained salary, for a quality 2nd-pairing d-man, and picks to balance it out. Do that, JR, and our team is as close to perfect as it's been in the entire Crosby-Malkin era, IMO.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Uh no one else has been given a chance.

82307-weve-tried-nothing-and-were-al-9vbA.png

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm surprised they haven't tried Dupuis. At least they're doing the right thing there and limiting his role for now.

Perron hasn't played for three games now. I don't like that at all. At least see what he can do with Crosby.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm surprised they haven't tried Dupuis. At least they're doing the right thing there and limiting his role for now.

Perron hasn't played for three games now. I don't like that at all. At least see what he can do with Crosby.
He played in game 1, didn't he?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
In an entirely different direction...

So what do people think about Murray?
He let in that one squeaker, but I love how he moves.
How much net he takes up and just seems fundamentally sound.
He needs to develop some more before he's NHL starter material. But he definitely has all the tools.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He did, it wasn't televised. According to Yohe, he had a nice game and that's about it.

I want to see Perron alongside Hornqvist and Malkin. Hopefully we get to see that next game.

I just want to see him as a top 6 LW at this point. :laugh:

So much is riding on them putting him there.

Perron-Crosby/Malkin-Kessel/Hornqvist/Plotnikov/Bennett (Even Dupuis, if you must)

Things look so much better when you stop being willfully stupid.

He needs to develop some more before he's NHL starter material. But he definitely has all the tools.

I thought that he was okay, but with that defense that could mean he was excellent...

tbh, I'm not a fan of them throwing him out behind Scuderi, Gonchar, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Andersen like that. You're setting a young goalie up to be slaughtered. From what I watched he looked poised and tall, it's a good combination but I'm no goalie expert.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He did, it wasn't televised. According to Yohe, he had a nice game and that's about it.

I want to see Perron alongside Hornqvist and Malkin. Hopefully we get to see that next game.
That's also what I'm hoping for but I'm not optimistic any more.

Yes, but hasn't played since and tomorrow will make 3 games. He better be in the next few.
I can't believe they aren't playing him tomorrow. Crazy. I thought he was one of the guys who would get most of the games.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

He did seem very fundamentally sound and confident. He seems to eat up great chances too. He flatlined a couple guys when it looked like it was going to be a sure goal. Goalies don't hit their prime until way later and he has pedigree. No rush. MAF is still a top quality goalie so we can let Murray develop and in a few years we could be looking at having a top five NHL goalie. He's THAT good.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
MJ looks as anal retentive as anyone so I am sure JR will give him directions as to who needs to play. Kunitz to me is simply not better than Perron at this point and if you are not going to use him correctly, trade him for a top D man. You have two choices, keep Dupuis with health risks but have the LTIR for cap room, or trade Kunitz for a decent pick or Dman. Trading Kunitz makes sense and of course Scuderi has to go but somehow he won't. Ray Shero, the gift that keeps on giving.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
MJ looks as anal retentive as anyone so I am sure JR will give him directions as to who needs to play. Kunitz to me is simply not better than Perron at this point and if you are not going to use him correctly, trade him for a top D man. You have two choices, keep Dupuis with health risks but have the LTIR for cap room, or trade Kunitz for a decent pick or Dman. Trading Kunitz makes sense and of course Scuderi has to go but somehow he won't. Ray Shero, the gift that keeps on giving.

This is the stuff with this org that pisses so many people off:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...Perron-hopes-to-flourish/stories/201509260050

Perron is basically starting out on the third line and being told he has to prove he is worthy of being in the top six. Yet Kunitz played his way off the Crosby line and was less productive than Perron since Perron came over in Jan. In fact after Perron's hot streak was over, he still out produced Kunitz, despite being bounced all around the lineup.

Then we have posters wondering why this board is tired of Kunitz being gifted premium spots in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad