Aug 6, 2010
Sestito serves more purpose than:
Adams
Winnik
Ebbett
Uher
Lapierre - ZERO GOALS... ZERO GOALS
Wilson

and many, many others of miscast no nothings.

You can't actually believe Sestito serves more of a purpose than Winnik. Please tell me you were exaggerating.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Maybe if we all concentrate really hard and repeatedly say this out loud, it'll come true. :laugh:

Here's basically how I see things shaking out Top-6 wise.

Kunitz will be on L1 unless he's injured. Even if he sucks, a lot, Sid and Kessel will still produce so much on their own that the old argument of "that line's clicking, no need to tamper with it!" will be used in defending Kunitz's place on it.

If Geno and Hornqvist aren't exactly clicking, Plotnikov will be replaced by Dupuis before Perron and Beau get a look.

Oh, and to add, Beau will get traded at some point in an effort procure some defensive help.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sestito serves more purpose than:
Adams
Winnik
Ebbett
Uher
Lapierre - ZERO GOALS... ZERO GOALS
Wilson

and many, many others of miscast no nothings.

He'd do less for us than Sundqvist, Sheary, Farnham or Rust. Probably Sprong too.

You can't actually believe Sestito serves more of a purpose than Winnik. Please tell me you were exaggerating.

I didn't even catch Winnik in there :laugh:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Seriously... How the **** does the idiocy span different coaches/coaching staffs, as well as a new head-GM? It's literally the same idiotic personnel ******** we've seen for the past 5 years. :laugh:

We finally managed to have an insanely deep, all but perfect forward corps. What do we do? Start playing awful, over-the-hill players in important roles, and playing top-6, career LWers (a role we're SUPER thin at) on the right side of the third line.

Bravo, boys.
I've said it for years and been bashes. Coaches don't comes to Pittsburgh to coach... they come to babysit. Its been in place for long before Sid was around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've said it for years and been bashes. Coaches don't comes to Pittsburgh to coach... they come to babysit. Its been in place for long before Sid was around.

It might be a bit country club, but coaches are still responsible for **** like Perron on the 3rd line RW or Iginla playing left wing.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This may be the most delusional player quote I've ever read. Scuds on last night's game and thinking he belongs on the roster.

“I know what I can bring to a hockey team,” Scuderi passionately stated. “I know, offensively, I don’t have the talent these other guys do. But, you know what? I can support the play just like anybody else. I can shoot the puck and create some opportunities for our forwards.”

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This may be the most delusional player quote I've ever read. Scuds on last night's game and thinking he belongs on the roster.

“I know what I can bring to a hockey team,†Scuderi passionately stated. “I know, offensively, I don’t have the talent these other guys do. But, you know what? I can support the play just like anybody else. I can shoot the puck and create some opportunities for our forwards.â€

he can't honestly believe that, right? More importantly, our coaches can't honestly believe that, right?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Yes, I know as whole, Winnik is a swell hockey player. But I hated the trade and hated it even more once I had to watch him for 2 months.

I like tough guys.... I like them a lot more than a bunch of guys who give you nothing except taking up minutes hopefully at an even +/-.

I really hated that Winnik trade, especially you when you see the value of picks in young Mr. Sprong.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I think the disconnect here is that the powers that be (management, coaching staff) don't look at the roster and see a top 6 - they see a middle 6. From that point of view, Perron on the third line makes sense. They're not trying to build two first lines but two second lines.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, I know as whole, Winnik is a swell hockey player. But I hated the trade and hated it even more once I had to watch him for 2 months.

I like tough guys.... I like them a lot more than a bunch of guys who give you nothing except taking up minutes hopefully at an even +/-.

I really hated that Winnik trade, especially you when you see the value of picks in young Mr. Sprong.

Hating the Winnik trade is different than thinking Sestito provides more to a hockey team than Winnik. I didn't like the Winnik trade either. If you actually believe Sestito is more valuable than Winnik, then your opinion is wrong.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If we make both Plotnikov and Perron switch wings from what they are used to I will not be happy :laugh:

If we played our 2nd best wing on the third line I will be even less happy than playing our 3rd best wing on the 3rd line

If an NHL head coach can't get all of Perron, Hornqvist and Kessel effectively into the top 6, he shouldn't be an NHL head coach.

Well said, Ogre.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the disconnect here is that the powers that be (management, coaching staff) don't look at the roster and see a top 6 - they see a middle 6. From that point of view, Perron on the third line makes sense. They're not trying to build two first lines but two second lines.

The 2nd line is centered by Evgeni Malkin. The 3rd line is centered by Nick Bonino. If the coach sees this as a top line and then a middle 6 that tells me we need a new coach.

We have the guys to build two first lines and two 3rd lines. Trying to build two 2nd lines is just not smart when Evgeni Malkin is your 2nd center. We have two 1st line quality centers and two 3rd line quality centers when Fehr is healthy.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As for Sestito.

If he looks like he can atleast keep up with the play, i'd rather sign him for 1yr/600k than Gonchar.

If he looks like an AHL skater, then no thanks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As for Sestito.

If he looks like he can atleast keep up with the play, i'd rather sign him for 1yr/600k than Gonchar.

If he looks like an AHL skater, then no thanks.

But we shouldn't be signing either.

I mean sure, I could shoot myself in the foot. At least its better than shooting myself in the head.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Why play Bennett and Plots on their less effective sides?

Well, because I think Malkin would perform better with a Euro-style line where the wingers are on their off-wings. Besides, Plotnikov played right wing in the KHL, right? And Bennett-Malkin-Neal looked like a money line for us when they were used together.

I would love to try to recreate that line if possible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perron-Crosby-Kessel wouldn't work well in my opinion, nor should Hornqvist be bumped down to the 3rd line. If Hornqvist really doesn't work with Malkin (which I don't believe, they just need time), put him on Sid's LW before you bump him down a line. Make the 2nd line Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov and leave it like that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Perron-Crosby-Kessel wouldn't work well in my opinion, nor should Hornqvist be bumped down to the 3rd line. If Hornqvist really doesn't work with Malkin (which I don't believe, they just need time), put him on Sid's LW before you bump him down a line. Make the 2nd line Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov and leave it like that.

indeed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I could see it working in the offensive zone, but I still think it wouldn't be the best allocation of skill. Perron should be with Malkin on the LW and you go from there. Now, if it's PCK or Perron on the 3rd line RW... PCK and hope they don't have to play defense very often. HCK, PMP/B is very interesting.

KCK, huzzah for competition. But no Scuderi or Gonchar.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So a sample lineup for tomorrow night:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Wilson-Dea-Sprong
Kuhnackl-Sundqvist-Rust
Sestito-Cullen-Archibald/Marcantuoni

Maata-Pouliot
Domoulin-Cole
Warsofsky-Oleksy/Clendening

Something like that.
Surprised Perron isn't playing.

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The sad part is.... has anyone actually beat out kunitz for the top spot? That's more of a reflection of how sad the forward depth is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I realize we're rotating stars in and out of the line-up, but considering Letang took a puck off the leg last game, should we read anything into him missing two games in a row?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad