GDT: Pens vs Red Wings - 9/30/15: The Day Perron Gets His Shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can see Dupuis with Bennett and Bonino, since the latter two aren't exactly speedsters.

Yeah that's what the line should be. The problem is the Kunitz-Perron dilemma. Once of Perron/Bennett will be screwed because of Kunitz. Based on tonights line 1 and last night's and fully healthy:

Perron-Crosby-Kessel
Plots-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Bennett
Kunitz-Fehr-Cullen

That would be a really good lineup. Play line 3 and 4 evenly. Both have a nice blend.

They won't though because of cap hits, seniority and such.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Wait, so they didn't consult their head coach regarding trades?

From the explanation JR gave on his post-deadline presser, it sounded like it went down last minute, the morning of, in a dimly lit back room and he was forced to make the trade by the majority of the council of 9.

Seriously though, would you be surprised? :laugh:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah that's what the line should be. The problem is the Kunitz-Perron dilemma. Once of Perron/Bennett will be screwed because of Kunitz. Based on tonights line 1 and last night's and fully healthy:

Perron-Crosby-Kessel
Plots-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Bennett
Kunitz-Fehr-Cullen

That would be a really good lineup. Play line 3 and 4 evenly. Both have a nice blend.

They won't though because of cap hits, seniority and such.

I do like that lineup with maybe a swap of Perron and Plots to get a north south guy with Sid and Phil
But overall what it should be but of course it won't.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I like that, when fully operational, our bottom 6 is composed of all guys that can score at least around 10 goals a season. That could be the unsung addition to the team's make up.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
"No option but to demote Kunitz."

*Remembers 5 months of last season, with Kunitz playing at a beer league level, but still getting top PP time and being duct-taped to Sid's hip*

fully agree with the beer league comment.

but Kunitiz *was* demoted last season.

but after Bennett wrecked both knees, Dupuis left with a clot, Comeau blew up his wrist and Perron was a hot mess. We didn't exactly have a lot of options.

I mean I would've loved to try Bennett, BUT Bennett skated the last few months of last season like a guy who was just trying to make it to the end of the season without getting hurt more.

I have some small semblance of hope that since Johnston demoted him last season that he will do so again when warranted. Don't take my small hope from me ;)

Totally different bent, I really hope Sprong gets a cup of coffee. He looks like staying in the NHL would be far better for his development then Jr's.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So on D they just need to release Gonch from his contract and send Pouliot and Warsofsky down (I assume he has to clear waivers).

Things are starting to shape up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
But, dude, how do they prevent a Neanderthal like Rinaldo from taking a run at someone?

That depends entirely on whether the Pens can manage to have a successful powerplay with Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, and Patric Hornqvist on it.

If they can't you might as well fire every coach on the team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That depends entirely on whether the Pens can manage to have a successful powerplay with Phil Kessel, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, and Patric Hornqvist on it.

If they can't you might as well fire every coach on the team.

I was being an ass. Enforcers don't do a damn thing to dissuade psychos like Rinaldo or Kaleta from taking runs at people. :laugh: If they're gonna do it and they've made their mind up, no guy's presence is gonna stop them or make them think twice.

I am so anti-goon. I will say this though, Sestito wasn't absolutely, immeasurably horrendous like a lot of other goons.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was being an ass. Enforcers don't do a damn thing to dissuade psychos like Rinaldo or Kaleta from taking runs at people. :laugh: If they're gonna do it and they've made their mind up, no guy's presence is gonna stop them or make them think twice.

I am so anti-goon. I will say this though, Sestito wasn't absolutely, immeasurably horrendous like a lot of other goons.

Yeah, I know. I'm just already getting worked up over the thought of our powerplay sucking. Nothing made me angrier last season than when the Pens were unable to score on the Rinaldo major after he hit Letang. That was embarrassing and infuriating to watch.

I'm anti goon but I don't mind having a guy that can throw down and also play. I wish we had such a player. A Milan Lucic type would be great for this team.

But so it goes. I'd rather have a fourth liner that can play than a goon that can do nothing. I am absolutely 100% against just having an enforcer. If it's a guy with skill + sand paper, I love those guys. Downie was great last season because he wasn't a liability on the ice. I wish we had a guy like him but with less of a tendency to take ****** penalties.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The 11 D left in camp are Maatta, Letang, Cole, Dumoulin, Lovejoy, Scuderi (all 6 will be on the NHL roster), Clendening, Pouliot, Gonchar, Erixon and Warsofsky. So 2 of Clendening, Pouliot, Gonchar, Erixon and Warsofsky will make the team. I'm guessing it's Clendening and Gonchar/Warsofsky. Pouliot is definitely going to WBS and Erixon probably is too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A good powerplay doesn't do a damn thing if the game is already out of hand.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sestito being gone means a guy like McNeill is going to be taking a lot more fights in WBS, can't say I'm a fan of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad