GDT: Pens vs Red Wings - 9/30/15: The Day Perron Gets His Shot.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
morning skate lines: Perron-Crosby-Kessel, Dupuis-Bonino-Bennett, Sheary-Porter-Rust, Wilson-Sundqvist-Sprong

CQJ8oBUU8AEIoce.jpg

stream: http://penguins.nhl.com/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Here's to hoping Perron - Crosby - Kessel wreck **** tonight. Not that it'll matter with regards to Perron and Kunitz, but still.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Was really hoping the last 2 pre-season games would be the day one roster with maybe 2-3 guys still up in the air. Why are so many no chance guys still with the team

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm hoping the top-2 lines they've used in the last 2 games (Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Cullen-Sheary yesterday, Perron-Crosby-Kessel and Dupuis-Bonino-Bennett today) are the lines they end up starting the season with.

Also Uher, O'Neill, McNeill, Olesky and Mouillerat just got put on waivers, so neither O'Neill (who I thought was good tbh) or Olesky made the team.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Why wasnt this used in jtown? Who gives a **** about the.wings? Its not 2009 anymore.

I wonder if it was some shrewd ploy on HCMJ's part to force out at least one trial of Perron with Crosby/ Kessel. Play Kunitz in Johnstown, because of how much CK loved "Slap Shot" growing up (We all know Crosby didn't have time to watch movies as a child), so you can have Perron as the only option on LW tonight.

Kappa

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
I just find it unimaginable that Perrons talent would be wasted on the 3rd line!
I really hope this has all been either been the pens trying to bluff everyone in to thinking that we were keeping Kunitz in the top line or some kind of punishment for Perron for an undisclosed indiscretion and he has redeemed himself and he will be back where he should be!
Perron is far more willing to get in to the corners and go to the net than he is given credit for!

I think the big question for today's game is: will Pouliot play like scuderi with a hangover again or turn it back to his end of year form?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm hoping the top-2 lines they've used in the last 2 games (Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist and Kunitz-Cullen-Sheary yesterday, Perron-Crosby-Kessel and Dupuis-Bonino-Bennett today) are the lines they end up starting the season with.

Also Uher, O'Neill, McNeill, Olesky and Mouillerat just got put on waivers, so neither O'Neill (who I thought was good tbh) or Olesky made the team.

Sheary = Casper

Dea, Mac, Rust or Sundqvist should be the top four candidates for that last spot.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I take issue with the thread title. It's just preseason, but if Perron does not work out with Kessel and Sid, that wouldn't mean he blew 'his shot', for instance. Many have pointed out that A) a player like Perron might be redundant on a line with Kessel and Sid, who provide superior playmaking and sniping already, and B) that Perron already showed that he doesn't have the best chemistry with Sid last season, so any intelligent coach would try him out with Geno before giving up on him as a top 6er. Especially since he brings a different skillset than Hornqvist and would definitely not be redundant on that line.

(I am aware he played with Geno in the playoffs last year but Perron was playing with a broken rib and Geno was playing on a sprained ankle, so we still don't know how those two would gel together, when healthy.)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Id rather send them back to WBS and have Sprong up until Fehr returns.

Sundqvist hasnt been real impressive. Rust and Mac have wheels but not much more. And I think Sprong's outplayed Dea.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
I take issue with the thread title. It's just preseason, but if Perron does not work out with Kessel and Sid, that wouldn't mean he blew 'his shot', for instance. Many have pointed out that A) a player like Perron might be redundant on a line with Kessel and Sid, who provide superior playmaking and sniping already, and B) that Perron already showed that he doesn't have the best chemistry with Sid last season, so any intelligent coach would try him out with Geno before giving up on him as a top 6er. Especially since he brings a different skillset than Hornqvist and would definitely not be redundant on that line.

(I am aware he played with Geno in the playoffs last year but Perron was playing with a broken rib and Geno was playing on a sprained ankle, so we still don't know how those two would gel together, when healthy.)

With the title, I just meant shorthand for "Perron gets his shot on the top line with Crosby Kessel. - You know that move almost every other user of these forums has been screaming for, that shot."

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

I'd still look to try Plotnikov on that top line instead, he already showed in a 20s shift that he brongs such a good comliment to what Sid and Kessel need. He is somewhat redundant on a line with Hornqvist IMO, which is why I'd have Plotnikov with Kessel and Sid, and Perron as LW2.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
With the title, I just meant shorthand for "Perron gets his shot on the top line with Crosby Kessel. - You know that move almost every other user of these forums has been screaming for, that shot."

People want him in the top 6, most want him opposite Hornqvist AFAIK. Though there's no doubt in my mind he'll be better at LW1 than Kunitz is.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No Wilson? How's he been doing the pre-season so far?

Wilson had the first goal in the prospects game and I haven't noticed him since.

Mac has done well in his role all preseason, while Rust has started coming on the last game and change.

Dea has been the best of all the young guys save Sprong.

Sundqvist has had spurts, but he is easily the best PK guy of the young crew.

So it all depends on what they want out of that fourth line role that will determine who makes it. Which ever guy they pick I'll be cool with, unless it's Sheary or someone else that I didn't name above.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
People want him in the top 6, most want him opposite Hornqvist AFAIK. Though there's no doubt in my mind he'll be better at LW1 than Kunitz is.

I think people have been fairly vocal of their support of the Plotz/Malkin/Horny line. They are starting to get some serious chemistry, IMHO. Don't know how else you fit Perron into the top 6.

And, we haven't seen Kessel's playmaking chemistry with Perron's yet.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Wilson had the first goal in the prospects game and I haven't noticed him since.

Mac has done well in his role all preseason, while Rust has started coming on the last game and change.

Dea has been the best of all the young guys save Sprong.

Sundqvist has had spurts, but he is easily the best PK guy of the young crew.

So it all depends on what they want out of that fourth line role that will determine who makes it. Which ever guy they pick I'll be cool with, unless it's Sheary or someone else that. I didn't name above.

Alright, thanks.

Good to hear Marcantuni and Dea have been good so far. Didn't really have any expectations for those two so good to have some younger players surprise positively.

Too bad Sundqvist hasn't played himself in the lineup, yet, as many hoped and expected. Would have liked for Wilson to put stronger push for a spot too than he apparently has (as you said he's been mostly invisible, and that probably explains why there hasn't been any talk of him in the past two weeks).

Also excited to hear that Sprong has been impressive all offseason and getting better each day. He was definitely 1st round talent and we got lucky he fell to us. Still didn't expect him to put this good push for a roster spot this preseason yet. Still I expect him to be sent back to juniors before opening night but good to see he's been great so far.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
To out a positive spin on this Kuntiz/Perron situation.
If Kunitz is absolute tripe then they will have no option but to bump him off and try Perron. Kuntiz kept his place last year because we had no altenative, we have alternatives now.
The only way Kunitz keeps Perron off L1 is if he actually does a good job (which would be ok!)...
Was that too positive?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'd still look to try Plotnikov on that top line instead, he already showed in a 20s shift that he brongs such a good comliment to what Sid and Kessel need. He is somewhat redundant on a line with Hornqvist IMO, which is why I'd have Plotnikov with Kessel and Sid, and Perron as LW2.

farther into the season that should be the case...but...for right now, I think he needs to stay with geno....give him a chance to learn English and to adapt to the nhl. imo

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
"No option but to demote Kunitz."

*Remembers 5 months of last season, with Kunitz playing at a beer league level, but still getting top PP time and being duct-taped to Sid's hip*

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
"No option but to demote Kunitz."

*Remembers 5 months of last season, with Kunitz playing at a beer league level, but still getting top PP time and being duct-taped to Sid's hip*

Not that I agree with Kunitz continuing to play like crap on the top lines, but we really were short of reasonable options. Bennett was never going to get a shot because he hasn't had too line minutes (I agree he should have been given a shot but the coach and GM want players on the top line with experience playing in the high pressure situations and we have enough options (in the coaches eyes) to push Kunitz out if we need to this year.

Don't get me wrong, I was disgusted with his play and the fact he was not held accountable but I am being realistic...if he plays crap and is not bumped off the top line then I will give up trying to find any rationale with anything the pens brass do ever again!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Alright, thanks.

Good to hear Marcantuni and Dea have been good so far. Didn't really have any expectations for those two so good to have some younger players surprise positively.

Too bad Sundqvist hasn't played himself in the lineup, yet, as many hoped and expected. Would have liked for Wilson to put stronger push for a spot too than he apparently has (as you said he's been mostly invisible, and that probably explains why there hasn't been any talk of him in the past two weeks).

Also excited to hear that Sprong has been impressive all offseason and getting better each day. He was definitely 1st round talent and we got lucky he fell to us. Still didn't expect him to put this good push for a roster spot this preseason yet. Still I expect him to be sent back to juniors before opening night but good to see he's been great so far.

Mac is their fourth line pivot in the A and he's done well there. He's a lot like Vitale in many ways, but he's strong as hell. He's been a workout freak since he was a Rag. His gym rat ways were well known up there.

Dea is probably the most creative of the young guys and sees the ice well. He can skate well to. It's hard to know what he is right now, but it's hard not to be happy with his body of work this summer. He isn't a midget like people keep calling him. Dude is 6 feet.

Sundqvist had a really good rookie tourney at both ends of the ice, but he isn't playing like himself so far this preseason. Not sure what's going on there.

Sprong was a spazz in the rookie tourney, but a talented spazz. He scored a couple beauties, including an OT winner on a breakaway. He just kept losing the puck though and skating himself into trouble. He's gotten better each game and the other night he looked fantastic. That was the first night I saw him play in control and dictate to the defense.

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Jeez, how many looks Sheary is going to get?

He has been unimpressive throughout, expect for maybe the first period of the first game of the prospect tournament..

Meanwhile Simon(in the prospect tournament), Uher(last night) or even Kuhnhackl who have outshone him aren't getting meaningful opportunities, even worse one of them was waived today!

Seriously why not give Uher back 2 back games after his performance last night?
Nope, let's take a look at #43 AGAIN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad