| Pens vs Rangers | Loss | Yucky, lets just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
ERod losing a puck battle to a guy without a stick there at the end perfectly exemplified this game.

Brush it off, but we better not shit the bed against them on Tuesday.

Ar least I saw him genuinely try hard. Our glorious "stars" didn't even care.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Oh well.

Letang can walk. It'll end the era's Cup window once and for all but it'd be better than watching a progressively more boring and worse team plod through another 3 or 4 years of masquerading as contenders.

Should've traded him, 71 and Rust too, and get at least something in return. Dumb asset management.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
breaking the line up and inserting Rod there for a couple games really worked out well wouldnt ya say.

Sure because on that line there is a super-mister-Universe-mega-elite-legendary centre that makes everyone around him better.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sure because on that line there is a super-mister-Universe-mega-elite-legendary centre that makes everyone around him better.
you would have to be a stump to play that bad with those two players.

ended the game with a good laugh when little Roddy lost a puck battle to a player with no stick.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
I like when Erod drop passed to a ranger in the rangers zone for a perfect 2 on 1 breakout. Was slick.

I'm curious if you pay the same level of attention when Le-dumb-tang or Mal-dumb-kin do the same thing over and over again in every game, huh?

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Nah man.

It's just pointless to have takeaways from outliers over an 82 game schedule. All teams are gonna have really bad nights, even Colorado.

The Rangers surrendered 7 to New Jersey last game for example.
Does that mean that their goaltending is all of a sudden a problem and they can no longer defend?

Obviously not, since they dumpstered us shortly after.

If what the Pens showed today was anywhere close to the norm I'd agree with you. But it's not.

It is scary close to norm my friend. They've been playing like this, mostly, ever since 87 and 71 returned from their extended vacations. A strange coincidence, I know.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
If you watched the game when it mattered, the Pens were missing passes they make like clockwork. Rangers came out with pressure and strong checking game that had the Pens rushing passes, making poor decisions and fumbling the pucks when received. Rangers were faster, bigger and played to set the tone. Is it the end of the world no. But sully has to get Marino and others to play the body more and get in the faces of forwards coming into the zone.

It just shows how well Pens leaders motivated their team for a big game vs a likely playoff opponent.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not surprising at all, considering that "C" is old, washed out and complacent.
Whats it been 3 or 4 GMs , 4 or 5 coaches over 17 seasons riding on his back and living off the avails of the best player of his generation. 87 owes the Pens and the fans nothing , but as always....they go as far as he can carry them.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Oh well.

Letang can walk. It'll end the era's Cup window once and for all but it'd be better than watching a progressively more boring and worse team plod through another 3 or 4 years of masquerading as contenders.

I'm starting to hate this post-Cup era more than the Bylsma post-Cup era. With Bylsma I wanted to believe that we could actually contend and with Sullivan I feel like we could with more legitimacy but for some reason we can just never get it together like in 2009, 2016, and 2017. The Sullivan post-Cup era has actually been pretty freaking embarrassing.

Reactions: Pens x

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
flyers fan coming in peace, mario must had too much to drink or hit his head on something like what the heck was he thinking of bringing hextall in here? that shocked me, the man doesnt know talent if he saw it right in front of him, he ruined our team with no offensive talent what so ever, he's pretty much going to do the same thing to your team because it's pretty much of reflection of what's happening to us accept you are in the playoffs and we arent.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

it’s scary when you agree at times with Madden…also, you know it’s a bad night (and next morning) when you come on here and Angrrus has showed up…lol

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
flyers fan coming in peace, mario must had too much to drink or hit his head on something like what the heck was he thinking of bringing hextall in here? that shocked me, the man doesnt know talent if he saw it right in front of him, he ruined our team with no offensive talent what so ever, he's pretty much going to do the same thing to your team because it's pretty much of reflection of what's happening to us accept you are in the playoffs and we arent.
I am sorry but what? The team had the exact same problems long before Hextall took over and they mostly have to do with lackadaisical effort and bad defending, not a lack of offensive talent. If anything, it's doing quite well under Hextall considering the age of Malkin, Crosby and Letang.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm starting to hate this post-Cup era more than the Bylsma post-Cup era. With Bylsma I wanted to believe that we could actually contend and with Sullivan I feel like we could with more legitimacy but for some reason we can just never get it together like in 2009, 2016, and 2017. The Sullivan post-Cup era has actually been pretty freaking embarrassing.

Probably because winning the Cup is extremely difficult and luck-based and 2 seasons of the Sullivan era were total covid bubble no fans and shortened season bullshit where teams like Montreal made runs to the final despite not even being a top 10 team in hockey.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I really hope this game is a one off but it really brought back all my PTSD over trusting Sullivan and Jarry in a playoff series…

a lot of the D problems people have identified are systemic problems and not personnel so much…I mean it’s personnel as far as the decision-making but the style of activation is all Sully…puts the goalie on an island and our goalies haven’t been the greatest stopping breakaways…sure it’s great when the Dmen are making the right decision but our Dmen do don’t do that nearly enough lol…

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Whats it been 3 or 4 GMs , 4 or 5 coaches over 17 seasons riding on his back and living off the avails of the best player of his generation. 87 owes the Pens and the fans nothing , but as always....they go as far as he can carry them.

When Pens were "riding on his back" - they always ended up in a ditch.

When he was riding on the back of strong leadership groups (which he was never part of) - Pens ended up winning Cups and he was gifted honorary Conn Smythes in the process.

He is a very talented but soft scorer of points in regular season and in easier PO games vs inferior opponents.

He isn't a "leader".
He isn't clutch.
He needs the team to carry him, not the other way around.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

it’s scary when you agree at times with Madden…also, you know it’s a bad night (and next morning) when you come on here and Angrrus has showed up…lol
Lol, we are literally back to the "Hextall has no plan!". In the literal sense.

Four days and three games ago, we were a cup favorite once again. 3 games in 4 days coming out with 3 of 6, and we regret every decision.

I'm very glad none of you are in control of my 401k portfolio.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's just weird. Bylsma was a complete idiot, Shero was a fraud, but we had prime generational talents. Very Oilers-like. Nowadays we have a smart, but spitefully stubborn coach, and a roster that's got big holes due to JR's idiocy, and the generational talents aren't as able to carry the flawed roster. Same end result though. Boring hockey and playoff disappointment.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

You are correct, there was a huge warning sign regarding Hextall that they ignored. The problem goes deeper though, someone above the GM is in man love with Sully. They have tied their franchise's fortunes to a coach, and it's beyond idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad