Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs --- THIS IS IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Welp, I got thinking about JJ’s playoff experience more.

4/12 with LA, 0.33 win %
3/11 with CBJ, 0.27
1/6 with PIT, 0.17

0.28 total
it's okay, GMJR knew why Torts benched him in Columbus and it "wasn’t because of how he was playing"

so hopefully we'll see that Jack Johnson that GMJR saw

aaaaaaaaany day now...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The team is listless. JR deserves some blame, but changing out a few complimentary wingers and some 3rd pair defensemen isn't going to do much. They've looked dead for 2 playoff series in a row. That falls mostly on the head coach.
The Isles speed and aggressive play ruined our entire game because it hemmed in our blueline, who was unable to deal with the forecheck, and that ended the series before it began. Guys like JJ, Maatta, and Gudbranson were eaten alive by speed and we couldn't even begin to transition the puck up to an attacking zone. JR's blueline handiwork had us barely making the playoffs last season, and truthfully, we showed we didn't even deserve to be there anyway.

This season, we're in the qualifiers. Not even in the playoffs yet. Again, the blueline's a huge problem. Dumo's defensive play is nowhere up to snuff. Letang's offensive play is nowhere up to snuff. JJ-Schultz is the worst pairing in the playoffs/qualifiers, maybe the League. We don't have a 3rd line whatsoever with McCann/Bjugs scratched or injured, Hornqvist being a guy who relies on better, more talented linemates to take advantage of what he provides, and a guy like Marleau who... Really does nothing. :laugh:

Sully's not without blame, I agree. But JR is a clown, and built a bedazzled trashcan over the last few years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Not sure it'll matter, but I do think it's the best choice of all options. If nothing else, he's Murray's equal in terms of ability with the added benefit of being able to play the puck.

There's one positive roster development.

Now let's see if the most critical one gets made.

Just kidding, it won't.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If you watched the games you would know that Sheary’s Corsi has piss all to do with him. He gives the puck up to the Canadiens 10-15 times a game and that’s being conservative. He stinks as a top 6 player. Some of you people really need to watch the hockey that this team is playing and stop looking at the stats pretending like you know what’s going on.

Sheary's been good , jake is the problem on that line

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I completely forgot about that. I'd like to think that wasn't a factor in Rutherford re-acquiring him at the deadline and Sullivan keeping him nailed to the top line, but honestly I don't know.

Along with quite a few other personnel moves, Rutherford really needs to not offer Sheary and Simon new contracts in the off season.

they'd be dumb not to offer them cheap contracts. Especially Simon.

Both are good players who can play up amd down the lineup, give you 30 points, good depth players to have.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
And yet, they will have AT THE VERY LEAST made 4 finals and won 3 Cups. Nobody else during that era has won that much. Hawks have 3 cups, but they did not make a 4th finals... and they are a bubble team. We have NEVER missed the playoffs since 2007.

Read an article this morning. Since Crosby and Malkin have been on the team (2006-19), the Penguins are either number one or tied for number one in the league in:

1. Cups (with 3)
2. Finals (with 4)
3. Conference Finals (with 5)
4. Playoff Series wins (with 20
5. Overall Playoff wins (with 97)
6. Playoff appearances (with 14)

Spoiled doesn't even begin to cover it. Yeah, this is the most amazing era in Pittsburgh hockey history, no matter how you slice it. Reading these posts you'd think the team was just chumps.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
they'd be dumb not to offer them cheap contracts. Especially Simon.

Both are good players who can play up amd down the lineup, give you 30 points, good depth players to have.

Except Crosby will want to play with one of them, and it's been proven they are not top line players. It's the same reason bringing Kunitz back after his one-year stint in Tampa would have been a bad idea. They are hardly irreplaceable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Read an article this morning. Since Crosby and Malkin have been on the team (2006-19), the Penguins are either number one or tied for number one in the league in:

1. Cups (with 3)
2. Finals (with 4)
3. Conference Finals (with 5)
4. Playoff Series wins (with 20
5. Overall Playoff wins (with 97)
6. Playoff appearances (with 14)

Spoiled doesn't even begin to cover it. Yeah, this is the most amazing era in Pittsburgh hockey history, no matter how you slice it. Reading these posts you'd think the team was just chumps.

@Angrrus To further build on your assessment about Crosby and his secondary assists.

He's 4th in the 15-16 and 16-17 playoffs overall interns of A1/pg.

Malkin and him are 10th and 11th in terms of ppg.

Letang is 4th in ppg amongst defensemen.

Ya argument dumb.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Think I posted this in the other thread but by the numbers and shot locations, the team should have had *six* more goals over the series. Not a guess based on the roster, just average shooting luck from those areas would have done it.

Rutherford isn't taking those shots. Sullivan isn't taking those shots. They've constructed a roster and coached a structure that allows those attempts to happen, but they can't go out on the ice and do it for the players. Not like the chances haven't gone to our snipers.

From that perspective, this looks a lot like straight underperformance from key players in a key area.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Think I posted this in the other thread but by the numbers and shot locations, the team should have had *six* more goals over the series. Not a guess based on the roster, just average shooting luck from those areas would have done it.

Rutherford isn't taking those shots. Sullivan isn't taking those shots. They've constructed a roster and coached a structure that allows those attempts to happen, but they can't go out on the ice and do it for the players. Not like the chances haven't gone to our snipers.

From that perspective, this looks a lot like straight underperformance from key players in a key area.

Or a combo of great goaltending forcing shooters to be “off” such as rushing shots or trying to place shots too fine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or a combo of great goaltending forcing shooters to be “off” such as rushing shots or trying to place shots too fine

It's probably got something to do with it but I know I've seen at least two "just hit it right and they've got no chance" shots go begging, then there was Guentzel's double one on one, etc.etc. Like, even if Price is half of that and our shooting is half, that's a lot of missed goals on our shoulders.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's probably got something to do with it but I know I've seen at least two "just hit it right and they've got no chance" shots go begging, then there was Guentzel's double one on one, etc.etc. Like, even if Price is half of that and our shooting is half, that's a lot of missed goals on our shoulders.

Jake has been off altogether and it might be his injured shoulder...I think Price is in Geno’s head...lack of confidence has a lot to do with the scoring woes imo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jake has been off altogether and it might be his injured shoulder...I think Price is in Geno’s head...lack of confidence has a lot to do with the scoring woes imo

Both things might be true. Might just be timing issues with bad ice, or not really being sharp yet. I dunno tbh. What I do know is that whatever's there, it's a real big issue, and one that's not really in the control of anyone other than the individual players.

Reactions: Andy99

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Except Crosby will want to play with one of them, and it's been proven they are not top line players. It's the same reason bringing Kunitz back after his one-year stint in Tampa would have been a bad idea. They are hardly irreplaceable.

could really use a Simon on line 3 Right now, someone who can make controlled entries, create space.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The third line, as most third lines, lives and dies by the 3C. We don't have a good enough 3C, as is tradition lately, to form a coherent third line with any sort of identity or goal in mind--be it offensive or defensive. It's just a handful of guys rotating in and out of the lineup who accomplish nothing and just sort of... Exist.

One of two big areas of concern that need to finally be addressed this summer.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens need someone like Kessel again this series...a threat to score on L3...also he improved the PP...not to play “what if” but if we had Phil, even the current version, I think we’d be winning this series easily instead of having more grinding players who both 1) can’t out-grind the Habs and 2) can’t score...

Reactions: ncm7772 and Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pens need someone like Kessel again this series...a threat to score on L3...also he improved the PP...not to play “what if” but if we had Phil, even the current version, I think we’d be winning this series easily instead of having more grinding players who both 1) can’t out-grind the Habs and 2) can’t score...
Depth is key, for sure. We're close to having a "perfect" top-6, just missing a better option for Sid and Jake's RW. But we still need other lines to help out, especially as the big guns start to age.

I don't think we even have grinding players. We just have a bunch of guys who don't really accomplish anything. Physicality, speed, scoring, defensive play, etc. Nobody in the rotation for our third line specializes in any of that. While our fourth line are the supposed defensive stalwarts, they are wholly incapable of offensive pressure or production, which hurts too.

Tough situation to ask Sid and Geno to shoulder the load like they're 25 again, whilst half the forward corps is incapable of scoring and nobody on the blueline has really accomplished anything in terms of offense.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Interesting, we didn't fleece a team for MM at the trade deadline for 3 games. Solid asset management.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
As game 4 approaches I actually can't take any more of the extreme criticism of people who have no emotional restraint or capacity to use logic, and seem filled with hate/anger in every post. Stunned to see how many people are like this, on this board and social media. Why watch if you hate this team and its biggest players this much? I seriously don't understand.

I'm beginning to realize that the 87/71 era will end in Pittsburgh in a torrent of angry social media hate among a significant number of 'fans', instead of quiet realization/appreciation for (what will hopefully be) nearly two decades of incredible play and achievement. Maybe they'll even get a jeer or two to show em.

Amen. Whenever I find myself getting mad (which I admit, is often!), I remind myself that’s it’s been pretty nice to be a Pens fan the last 15 years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad