Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Blues | Win | Why Husso gotta break my heart?

Applebee's

• Fancy restaurant

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Not a restaurant

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I cant like your full post because I dont agree with the Jarry explanation at all per my response above........... but the poster blocking you mentioned is spot on. People wear it like a badge lol

We live in a cultural that people block and delete differing opinions if they don't align with their own instead of hearing opinions on both ends. Not really a healthy way to look at things and sorry if you ask me. Cancel Culture is real

I don't think blocking people from your personal feed is "cancel culture". If you lobby to have them banned from the site/forum, then sure I guess.

I don't have anyone blocked, but I haven't come across any users that I personally find that annoying, I can always just scroll on by. I think the forums rules prevent the level of spam or craziness that would be required for me to be bothered enough to block anyone. But I can understand people getting sick of certain posts or debates and wanting to avoid them entirely, especially if you're on here a lot.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Substitute the word consequence for cancel; for instance, trash talking is something we all do to varying degrees. At this stage in time, particularly communicating via text as we do on here, we all know what language is more or less acceptable. Some people still go ahead and make a habit of using misogynistic (common elsewhere, y'all do pretty well, here), racist, homophobic, etc language. After everything the past few years, it really comes across like "You can't tell me what to do." Cool. We all have the right to be assholes, but no one is owed an audience to do so. We can disagree on how the team is playing, who might be a good trade or draft target, all kinds of things. But there is certain language that if you're taking the time to type it out, I do not feel the need to expend any brain cells to wade through those posts while off the clock.

To expand on this in a non-hockey direction, last spring, Bob Baffert got his Kentucky Derby win disqualified because his winner failed the drug test. Twice. He, with a couple decades and 40+ instances of drug infractions under his belt, first tried to say he didn't know what was going on, then blamed one of the grooms, then pointed to ~cancel culture~.

Derby-tier horses don't eat a single blade of grass unmonitored; they're basically giant chemistry labs as to what to give them when to maximize performance, long-term issues be damned. So Bobbo not knowing doesn't hold water; if he hired incompetent staff, that's still on him. Stripping the win and slapping him with a fine and a suspension wasn't him getting canceled, it was getting consequences.

And by the way, that horse? An ostensibly healthy, race-ready three year old? Dropped dead this past December going for an exercise ride.

Perhaps some more consequences sooner would have prevented that.

Without getting into this too much in depth I agree with much here what you post, and many point out "Cancel Culture" as an excuse as in your Derby horse example. Which yes, is unfortunate. I guess if you look at it as a whole the word/phrase is being used in a multitude of ways. I was referring to the if you don't agree with me or what I say I will block you and won't hear your reasoning. Then those same people brag about blocking people.

Regardless of my views I have not ever used racist or homophobic views or speak in my comments so I am not sure where the Yall is coming from. I don't see much of it in the post either and would assume they are deleted pretty quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I count my blessing every day that Malkin has a stud that has 4pts in his last 15 games. Thank goodness for weird analytics though, it means we need more of that type.

Geno will like it, struggle to produce, and we will enjoy it God damn it.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Without getting into this too much in depth I agree with much here what you post, and many point out "Cancel Culture" as an excuse as in your Derby horse example. Which yes, is unfortunate. I guess if you look at it as a whole the word/phrase is being used in a multitude of ways. I was referring to the if you don't agree with me or what I say I will block you and won't hear your reasoning. Then those same people brag about blocking people.

Regardless of my views I have not ever used racist or homophobic views or speak in my comments so I am not sure where the Yall is coming from. I don't see much of it in the post either and would assume they are deleted pretty quickly
Like I said, this board is pretty good about it. I haven't added to my ignore list on this board in... idk, it's been awhile. After playoffs last season, probably, or people who only appear when the team's in a rough patch to... gloat about it?

The phrase is...there's a lot of terminology that is being misused right now. To use a more hockey-centric example in this case, Don Cherry was not a victim of cancel culture; he didn't get fired for the *last* "ffs, man" thing he said on its own, that was just the breaking point. He got consequences for the longstanding pattern of behavior leading up to that point. Same with Roenick, same with Milbury not getting another GM gig. It's almost never "X did Y thing ONE TIME." That's not necessarily how people mean it in the blocking/not blocking discourse here, but that's part of what's frustrating - it does have specific meaning and usage, but it's strayed from its origins.

It's also very much the free market at work; corporations across the spectrum spend tons of resources in identifying where markets are headed and shifting their output towards consumers they hope to gain the most benefit from over the longest period. That's just business. Some are, ah, better at it than others.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I count my blessing every day that Malkin has a stud that has 4pts in his last 15 games. Thank goodness for weird analytics though, it means we need more of that type.

Geno will like it, struggle to produce, and we will enjoy it God damn it.

:laugh: I think Sullivan has finally broken you, my friend.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
"We won't get any more points against play off teams"

You've gone quiet @Ragamuffin Gunner
I never said we wouldn't get points vs PO teams. I said we only beat like 5 PO teams during that big streak, which was true.

It's great that you're all happy that they won after giving up a 2-0 lead and only scoring twice on 45 shots. I've seen that game play out in the POs too often to be too excited about it. We're pretty much locked into playing the best goalie in the league this year in the POs, so TJ's gonna have a much tougher time stealing games.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I never said we wouldn't get points vs PO teams. I said we only beat like 5 PO teams during that big streak, which was true.

It's great that you're all happy that they won after giving up a 2-0 lead and only scoring twice on 45 shots. I've seen that game play out in the POs too often to be too excited about it. We're pretty much locked into playing the best goalie in the league this year in the POs, so TJ's gonna have a much tougher time stealing games.
Post in thread 'Game #LI | Loss to Leafs | Oh no we suck again!' Post-Game Talk: - Game #LI | Loss to Leafs | Oh no we suck again!

Not exactly free falling are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad