Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Blues | Win | Why Husso gotta break my heart?

Applebee's

• Fancy restaurant

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Not a restaurant

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nice to see that HOG and Pens x are taking great pleasure in the win at St. Louis.
With St. Louis having the 5th best home record in the league, these gentlemen clearly understand that getting 2 points here, in a game that was dominated thoroughly by the Pens, is a time where one tries to appreciate and consequently dial back the auto-pilot grievances just a tad.

For the rest of us, that might be a building block for considering them more than forum disfiguring morons also. So that's great.
Them winning doesn’t change the fact that Erod is a joke on the top line or the fact that ZAR has zero trade value. But but but he’s an analytical darling. He’s an example of why people don’t trust analytics much.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I am happy with the record, but not happy with the overall play. We still are a disaster defensively, PP has not been good and Letang as been a complete tire fire. We need to tighten up our play, cant rely on Jarry to bail us out every game in the playoffs. I dont mind losing to teams who are better than us, I do mind losing to our own crappy play.

We can’t score. This is why I was confused that nearly everyone blamed Jarry last playoffs. If he’s one goal better in a couple of games, the pens would have simply lost later in the night.

3 years ago this lack of scoring only showed up in the playoffs, now it’s occurring in the regular season. Do people think it magically gets better come playoffs when the opposition focuses on their weaknesses?

I know too much about the sport to have some positive spin on what I see.

sidenote: people who gleefully share that they block multiple posters.......you all need to buy bigger mirrors. You come to a message board, then get bothered by differing opinions. Think about that....oops you won’t, I’m blocked.

and people wonder why so much of the world sucks.... it’s not a difference of opinion that makes it suck fyi.....

buy the damn mirror

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yep. I asked the question about how people would feel over this seven-game stretch. I believe it was @Andy99 who said he'd be fine with that record.
How do the rest of the people here feel about that record? Me, personally, I feel pretty good.

It’s a sign that this team deserves a legitimate (read: top 6 W) TDL addition.

Hopefully, Sleepy wakes up in time to grab one.

Reactions: Andy99

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
We can’t score. This is why I was confused that nearly everyone blamed Jarry last playoffs. If he’s one goal better in a couple of games, the pens would have simply lost later in the night.
The Penguins had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd Period of Game 1. Brock Nelson scored the game-tying goal at 15:50 of the 3rd Period. How could the Penguins have lost later in the night? There was only 4:10 left in the game.

The Penguins had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd Period of Game 5. Josh Bailey scored the game-tying goal at 0:51 in the 3rd Period. I suppose there was most of the Period for the Islanders to tie it, but nonetheless the Penguins had the lead going into the 3rd in both games. If the Penguins could've held those leads, they'd have won the series in 5.

Scoring was not the problem last playoffs.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Nice to get the two points in the end because we dominated for 50+ minutes. Other than passing instead of shooting on some great chances and the PP being a bit too cute, little to complain about. Even Kapanen looked good. I have no idea how Sid and Jake managed not to score, they seemed to have a gazillion chances. Jarry was a beast in OT, then a bit lucky in the shootout. If Rust is really 5/5 in shootouts why the hell isn't he one of the three shooters? Do we even practice shootouts these days? Sure doesn't look like it.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
"We're gonna get beat up"
"Oh well, we're gonna blow this game"
"Ok they won, but they're gonna lose in the playoffs"

I have my concerns about this team too, but if you can't even enjoy wins like this why bother watching?
Having zero expectations has been a great way to keep up with the team this year. The wins are fun, the really good wins are even more so, some losses are more frustrating than others. There have been some intriguing storylines and players to follow and/or gripe about, but I have enough to stress over away from the ice to get too wrapped up in the ultimate fortunes of the team now:dunno::laugh:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sorry if this has been explained already, but can someone confirm this for me - I didn't see Crosby at all in the 3rd for like the first ~10 minutes. Don't think he stepped on the ice until the powerplay. Did I just completely overlook him or was there a reason he was out?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Having zero expectations has been a great way to keep up with the team this year. The wins are fun, the really good wins are even more so, some losses are more frustrating than others. There have been some intriguing storylines and players to follow and/or gripe about, but I have enough to stress over away from the ice to get too wrapped up in the ultimate fortunes of the team now:dunno::laugh:

This has been my whole outlook on the season. I went into it expecting them to be mediocre and am pleasantly surprised how the season has gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they get swept in the 1st round or make another Cup run, and won't get too worked up if it's the former.

The doomsday prophets for this franchise are hilarious. They preach year in and year out that this is the year that the team is going to be horrible. My favorite part is the constant goal post moving. It started with "this is going to be a lottery team" to "they will fall apart when Malkin comes back" to "they only beat crappy teams" to "who cares who they beat now, they're going to blow it in the playoffs." Whatever floats your boat, but what a miserable way to spend your free time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sorry if this has been explained already, but can someone confirm this for me - I didn't see Crosby at all in the 3rd for like the first ~10 minutes. Don't think he stepped on the ice until the powerplay. Did I just completely overlook him or was there a reason he was out?

I didn't notice Crosby not on the ice. I think Mears/Errey would've committed verbal harikari if he was

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
The Blues and Pens always get up to play one another in the Crosby era, I don't remember any games that were not tightly played and competitive. I have always wanted them to meet in the SCF. I was very happy when STL embarrassed the Bruins in Game 7 in Boston.

P S. Applebees is trash, I am pretty sure they use meat glue.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The doomsday prophets for this franchise are hilarious. They preach year in and year out that this is the year that the team is going to be horrible.
For extra hilarity, many of the doomsayers are also complaining the loudest when this supposedly horrible team dares to, gasp, loses games, even to top teams. "OMG, we lost to a good team? Must be Sully/whipping boy of the moment's fault, not the bad roster that I complain incessantly about" is something you can see on this forum after each and every loss. The ignore list is a godsend.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Them winning doesn’t change the fact that Erod is a joke on the top line or the fact that ZAR has zero trade value. But but but he’s an analytical darling. He’s an example of why people don’t trust analytics much.
What teams have no weak links?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If that's how Marino plays when his name starts to show up in trade rumors then the Pens may want to be constantly in a state of "about to trade John Marino"
All of the good skating dmen were more activated this game. Part of me wonders if it wasn't due to the fact that St. Louis isn't exactly a speedy team. If you can skate well like Letang, Matheson, and Marino, you may be able to take more changes and recover if it doesn't work. I notice he wasn't that activated against other quicker teams and I don't think it's a coincidence. I think he (and the team in general) shifts their approach based on their opponent.

But man did the Matheson-Marino pairing look damn good this game.

Did I just memory-hole us being good finishers last year? Why does that seem absolutely bizarre to me?

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The Penguins had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd Period of Game 1. Brock Nelson scored the game-tying goal at 15:50 of the 3rd Period. How could the Penguins have lost later in the night? There was only 4:10 left in the game.

The Penguins had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd Period of Game 5. Josh Bailey scored the game-tying goal at 0:51 in the 3rd Period. I suppose there was most of the Period for the Islanders to tie it, but nonetheless the Penguins had the lead going into the 3rd in both games. If the Penguins could've held those leads, they'd have won the series in 5.

Scoring was not the problem last playoffs.

People are going to believe what they what to fit their agenda. The biggest off-season question was what are going to do with Jarry. Anyone in the organization can tell you that including Jarry himself

Jarry was terrible last playoffs and was the largest reason the Isles took us out

Fortunately we made the correct decision

Reactions: Gurglesons

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

3 years ago this lack of scoring only showed up in the playoffs, now it’s occurring in the regular season. Do people think it magically gets better come playoffs when the opposition focuses on their weaknesses?

I know too much about the sport to have some positive spin on what I see.

sidenote: people who gleefully share that they block multiple posters.......you all need to buy bigger mirrors. You come to a message board, then get bothered by differing opinions. Think about that....oops you won’t, I’m blocked.

and people wonder why so much of the world sucks.... it’s not a difference of opinion that makes it suck fyi.....

buy the damn mirror

I cant like your full post because I dont agree with the Jarry explanation at all per my response above........... but the poster blocking you mentioned is spot on. People wear it like a badge lol

We live in a cultural that people block and delete differing opinions if they don't align with their own instead of hearing opinions on both ends. Not really a healthy way to look at things and sorry if you ask me. Cancel Culture is real

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad