Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Blues | Win | Why Husso gotta break my heart?

Applebee's

• Fancy restaurant

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Not a restaurant

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I cant like your full post because I dont agree with the Jarry explanation at all per my response above........... but the poster blocking you mentioned is spot on. People wear it like a badge lol

We live in a cultural that people block and delete differing opinions if they don't align with their own instead of hearing opinions on both ends. Not really a healthy way to look at things and sorry if you ask me. Cancel Culture is real

Cancel culture is just becoming a buzz word for people that get mad when people resort to ignoring them rather than getting baited into the same argument over and over again because they are so dug in with their opinion that they refuse to even consider anything that doesn't reaffirm their belief.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Was Petts icetime scaled back in the 3rd? I dont even recall seeing him out there. I know Sully scales his time back but seemed like after the goal that was scored on him when he was a pillow in the front of the net, I didn't see much of him.

Other than a few other plays he brain-farted he did look ok, which I figured after being scratched he was going to give his best

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
yeah, but what was their shooting %? Are we still at the bottom the league with a 4.5 shooting %…seems like it might have gotten worse lol

10th worst in the league at 7.56 at 5v5 in that stretch (Carolina were the actual worst with 4.smething) and 3rd worst on the PP at 7.69.

Notable culprits at 5v5 are Rust shooting at 5%, and Kapanen and ERod shooting at 0%.

Reactions: Andy99

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
10th worst in the league at 7.56 at 5v5 in that stretch (Carolina were the actual worst with 4.smething) and 3rd worst on the PP at 7.69.

Notable culprits at 5v5 are Rust shooting at 5%, and Kapanen and ERod shooting at 0%.
Almost makes you think defense matters.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I cant like your full post because I dont agree with the Jarry explanation at all per my response above........... but the poster blocking you mentioned is spot on. People wear it like a badge lol

We live in a cultural that people block and delete differing opinions if they don't align with their own instead of hearing opinions on both ends. Not really a healthy way to look at things and sorry if you ask me. Cancel Culture is real
"Different opinions"

Ok. That's a pretty benign and maybe naive analysis of people's actual activity in internet spaces (and IRL). Some people don't want to enrich the collective wisdom; they want to play a role. Why should you entertain every account busking for attention? Trolling is old. Are you really afraid of missing some vital perspective from a guy who only chimes in after losses to trash a specific player?

Personally I wish I could reduce my exposure to certain accounts like phone notifications rather than block them entirely. Because I still want to make fun of them.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
"Different opinions"

Ok. That's a pretty benign and maybe naive analysis of people's actual activity in internet spaces (and IRL). Some people don't want to enrich the collective wisdom; they want to play a role. Why should you entertain every account busking for attention? Trolling is old. Are you really afraid of missing some vital perspective from a guy who only chimes in after losses to trash a specific player?

Personally I wish I could reduce my exposure to certain accounts like phone notifications rather than block them entirely.

Obviously circumstances matter and I assumed most would get, I mentioned differing opinions. I also called out the people that wear it like a badge.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are we really still debating the playoffs of 2021? There were a lot of issues Jarry was by far and away the #1 issue to a point where mentioning or discussing #2-#X is irrelevant. Scoring? Sure, maybe. But so far down the list from Jarry's performance that it makes no real sense to debate it. /discussions.

Re: Pettersson's ice time - I would suggest that just because his ice time was limited in certain circumstances, it may not always be because he was not playing well but rather because Matheson and Marino were absolutely killing it last game. You go with your hot hand. That's Sullivan's job to recognize and manage. Just because we have one pairing that is good and gets more ice time, doesn't mean the other pairing(s) is/are bad.

Reactions: dingo71

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Are we really still debating the playoffs of 2021? There were a lot of issues Jarry was by far and away the #1 issue to a point where mentioning or discussing #2-#X is irrelevant. Scoring? Sure, maybe. But so far down the list from Jarry's performance that it makes no real sense to debate it. /discussions.

Re: Pettersson's ice time - I would suggest that just because his ice time was limited in certain circumstances, it may not always be because he was not playing well but rather because Matheson and Marino were absolutely killing it last game. You go with your hot hand. That's Sullivan's job to recognize and manage. Just because we have one pairing that is good and gets more ice time, doesn't mean the other pairing(s) is/are bad.

Agree that you go with the hot hand but Petts ice time has been scaled back more than not dating back to last season. Was his weak play on the defender the reasoning behind it? IDK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Agree that you go with the hot hand but Petts ice time has been scaled back more than not dating back to last season. Was his weak play on the defender the reasoning behind it? IDK
He's had his ups and downs since getting traded here. Playing on the 3rd pairing and getting little to no special teams is a natural way to see "ice time scaled back". Doesn't mean he's not capable of the PP or PK, just means they have a few guys that are better. I didn't think he played a bad game last night sans the goal against. In a tighter game against a slower team, yeah I'm sticking the hot Matheson-Marino pairing out there more. I don't think any decline in ice was "punishment". There were a couple penalties in the 3rd as well that kill that 5v5 for him.

That said, I think people are getting WAY too hung up on ice time and what every minor up and down with minutes and seconds mean. If he's going from 18 to 10min, okay. Going from 15/16 to 14/15 or from 14/15 to 12/13...that's just the natural course of the game. I HIGHLY doubt Sullivan is on the bench saying "Grrrrr that Pettersson! Reduce his ice time by 2 minutes!"

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If you blocked me for liking Coldplay, I'll fight you.

35Wa.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He's had his ups and downs since getting traded here. Playing on the 3rd pairing and getting little to no special teams is a natural way to see "ice time scaled back". Doesn't mean he's not capable of the PP or PK, just means they have a few guys that are better. I didn't think he played a bad game last night sans the goal against. In a tighter game against a slower team, yeah I'm sticking the hot Matheson-Marino pairing out there more. I don't think any decline in ice was "punishment". There were a couple penalties in the 3rd as well that kill that 5v5 for him.

That said, I think people are getting WAY too hung up on ice time and what every minor up and down with minutes and seconds mean. If he's going from 18 to 10min, okay. Going from 15/16 to 14/15 or from 14/15 to 12/13...that's just the natural course of the game. I HIGHLY doubt Sullivan is on the bench saying "Grrrrr that Pettersson! Reduce his ice time by 2 minutes!"

It is basically that Matheson has moved up the pecking order at Petts' expense. Right or wrong Dumo is locked into the first pairing and Petts' ice time is a function of what % of the time he is 2nd vs. 3rd pairing. Not hard to figure out

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It is basically that Matheson has moved up the pecking order at Petts' expense. Right or wrong Dumo is locked into the first pairing and Petts' ice time is a function of what % of the time he is 2nd vs. 3rd pairing. Not hard to figure out
Exactly. There's only so much ice time available. A reduction doesn't always mean you are playing bad but perhaps just that someone else is playing well.

Freidman's play being thrown in the mix is an interesting twist as well. I think the idea situation for this year and next, is to send Pettersson out for top 6 help.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nice to see that HOG and Pens x are taking great pleasure in the win at St. Louis.
With St. Louis having the 5th best home record in the league, these gentlemen clearly understand that getting 2 points here, in a game that was dominated thoroughly by the Pens, is a time where one tries to appreciate and consequently dial back the auto-pilot grievances just a tad.

For the rest of us, that might be a building block for considering them more than forum disfiguring morons also. So that's great.
Aww mate, tenderly ripped.

You should be proud they won in shootouts vs a hot team that's now 4-3-3. Mate listen, send me your address and I'll send you the banner for this game win. To peace it out as it were.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Exactly. There's only so much ice time available. A reduction doesn't always mean you are playing bad but perhaps just that someone else is playing well.

Freidman's play being thrown in the mix is an interesting twist as well. I think the idea situation for this year and next, is to send Pettersson out for top 6 help.

He has been pretty bad though, and he was healthy scratched, Yes I know Friedman's play could factor into that

It seems like when he does get more minutes his inconsistences are more prevalent

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He has been pretty bad though, and he was healthy scratched, Yes I know Friedman's play could factor into that

It seems like when he does get more minutes his inconsistences are more prevalent
Was he scratched because of play or was he scratched because he took a puck to the face?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Great 4-dimensional chess move by Jarry in the shootout to catch ROR totally off-guard with the classic falling on your ass as a distraction goaltending move.

His right pad didn't slide like it expected to and his skate edge caught the ice. He easily could have blown out his knee there

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014

Substitute the word consequence for cancel; for instance, trash talking is something we all do to varying degrees. At this stage in time, particularly communicating via text as we do on here, we all know what language is more or less acceptable. Some people still go ahead and make a habit of using misogynistic (common elsewhere, y'all do pretty well, here), racist, homophobic, etc language. After everything the past few years, it really comes across like "You can't tell me what to do." Cool. We all have the right to be assholes, but no one is owed an audience to do so. We can disagree on how the team is playing, who might be a good trade or draft target, all kinds of things. But there is certain language that if you're taking the time to type it out, I do not feel the need to expend any brain cells to wade through those posts while off the clock.

To expand on this in a non-hockey direction, last spring, Bob Baffert got his Kentucky Derby win disqualified because his winner failed the drug test. Twice. He, with a couple decades and 40+ instances of drug infractions under his belt, first tried to say he didn't know what was going on, then blamed one of the grooms, then pointed to ~cancel culture~.

Derby-tier horses don't eat a single blade of grass unmonitored; they're basically giant chemistry labs as to what to give them when to maximize performance, long-term issues be damned. So Bobbo not knowing doesn't hold water; if he hired incompetent staff, that's still on him. Stripping the win and slapping him with a fine and a suspension wasn't him getting canceled, it was getting consequences.

And by the way, that horse? An ostensibly healthy, race-ready three year old? Dropped dead this past December going for an exercise ride.

Perhaps some more consequences sooner would have prevented that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Substitute the word consequence for cancel; for instance, trash talking is something we all do to varying degrees. At this stage in time, particularly communicating via text as we do on here, we all know what language is more or less acceptable. Some people still go ahead and make a habit of using misogynistic (common elsewhere, y'all do pretty well, here), racist, homophobic, etc language. After everything the past few years, it really comes across like "You can't tell me what to do." Cool. We all have the right to be assholes, but no one is owed an audience to do so. We can disagree on how the team is playing, who might be a good trade or draft target, all kinds of things. But there is certain language that if you're taking the time to type it out, I do not feel the need to expend any brain cells to wade through those posts while off the clock.

To expand on this in a non-hockey direction, last spring, Bob Baffert got his Kentucky Derby win disqualified because his winner failed the drug test. Twice. He, with a couple decades and 40+ instances of drug infractions under his belt, first tried to say he didn't know what was going on, then blamed one of the grooms, then pointed to ~cancel culture~.

Derby-tier horses don't eat a single blade of grass unmonitored; they're basically giant chemistry labs as to what to give them when to maximize performance, long-term issues be damned. So Bobbo not knowing doesn't hold water; if he hired incompetent staff, that's still on him. Stripping the win and slapping him with a fine and a suspension wasn't him getting canceled, it was getting consequences.

And by the way, that horse? An ostensibly healthy, race-ready three year old? Dropped dead this past December going for an exercise ride.

Perhaps some more consequences sooner would have prevented that.
Summarized; "Well, well, well... If it isn't the consequences of my own actions." Or "Reaping: Haha, f*** yes! Sowing: No, wtf this sucks!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Good question, I assume it was his play and the emergence of Friedman and willing to give him more of a look.
Yeah, I mean either it goes back to what I was saying earlier. There's only so much ice time and only 6 dmen. The top 4 are a lock and when you have 3 guys that you want to give time to, whichever 2 you choose, it doesn't mean the 3rd guy is playing bad.

If Freidman came in hot, Sully rolls with the hot hand just like he did this game with Matheson and Marino. And if there's an excuse to lean one way, such as Petts taking a puck to the face, then so be it. Makes the decision that much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad