Rumor: Pens Trying to Trade Ian Cole

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Cole likely has more value to the Pens as a depth player on defense who walks in the offseason as a UFA. At least the Pens would have him in the fold for another playoff run. I think it is difficult to imagine the Pens somehow using him to secure an upgrade at center that fits in terms of age and/or salary.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Okay, so after last night....it's clear Polak should not ever play again....and Gardiner should sometimes be shot out of a cannon. Lets get this Bozak/Cole deal done.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Per Mark Madden, Pittsburgh Sports Radio guy, please take it with a grain of salt because he likes to play up his "insider knowledge" of the Pens org to a maximum level... But he is usually only a shade/degree to the left or right of the truth. Said Cole's agent contacted GMJR about trading Cole to a team he could possibly get a long term extension done on. GMJR gave the agent permission to find teams that would want him and JR would see if there was a trade he was interested in from teams off of that list. But that very minimal interest was show in a trade + extension.

He is also supposed to play tonight in Buffalo, so odds are Cole will still be a Penguin for the foreseeable future. Most likely revisited come trade deadline when GM's are chomping at the bit to makes additions to try and push their team over the edge. This early in the season its safe to say that most GM's are not willing to trade what GMJR would want and are more comfortable with just seeing what they have for the time being in their own organizations or making a smaller trade and wait to make a big move closer or at the deadline.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
After seeing Oleksiak as making the Pens team I just kind of sit and laugh... as a flyers fan.

Even with the increase in cap space the pens can't hold onto Cole? I know they don't have any decent D prospects, but I mean Oleksiak starting???

I would be weary trading Cole for another offensive piece. That D lineup just looks flat out awful. With Sprong, Aston-Reese, Bjorkvist (however you spell it) there is some decent scoring in the AHL with prospects.

Pens need some serious serious D help. Why trade your top 4 Dman for a 3rd line guy? He may have more value to the pens than most teams, but you could get a #3/4 Dman back. Having Hunwick and Oleksiak starting is a goal given up in the making.

4th line too is the line that needs some help if at all on the pens. I don't think their problem lies with their offense. I think it may be after Letang, Schultz, and Doumlin they really have nothing if Cole leaves.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
After seeing Oleksiak as making the Pens team I just kind of sit and laugh... as a flyers fan.

Even with the increase in cap space the pens can't hold onto Cole? I know they don't have any decent D prospects, but I mean Oleksiak starting???

I would be weary trading Cole for another offensive piece. That D lineup just looks flat out awful. With Sprong, Aston-Reese, Bjorkvist (however you spell it) there is some decent scoring in the AHL with prospects.

Pens need some serious serious D help. Why trade your top 4 Dman for a 3rd line guy? He may have more value to the pens than most teams, but you could get a #3/4 Dman back. Having Hunwick and Oleksiak starting is a goal given up in the making.

4th line too is the line that needs some help if at all on the pens. I don't think their problem lies with their offense. I think it may be after Letang, Schultz, and Doumlin they really have nothing if Cole leaves.

As a flyers fan, you shouldn't be laughing at anyone, let alone the Penguins who have won consecutive cups. Also Cole plays on the 3rd pairing, but he's gonna get top 4 money, somewhere in the range of 4 to 4.5 million a year. Penguins can't afford that, especially if he's gonna play as a #5/6, there are cheaper options.. One last thing, Penguins offense is a HUGE problem this year, they're one of the worst teams in the league 5 on 5. Losing Bonino and Cullen has left their bottom 6 in shambles and unable to contribute.

TL;DR your whole post is completely wrong and shows a total lack of knowledge in anything Penguins related....

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You forgot about Maatta.

When Schultz comes back, Cole looked to be the odd man out even before the trade:

Dumo Letang
Maatta Schultz
Ruhwedl Hunwick

Pens top four is more than fine once Schultz is back. Would be nice to have another puck mover on the bottom pair, but we'll see.

Cole is going to get overpaid in UFA and the Pens need to re-sign Hornqvist. Sullivan and Cole also apparently have a rift.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
We have to sign Larkin. Mantha, Frk and figure out our goalie tandem situation. If Cole becomes a UFA I can see Holland overpaying. Our best D is leaving and Holland loves his Michigan kids.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You forgot about Maatta.

When Schultz comes back, Cole looked to be the odd man out even before the trade:

Dumo Letang
Maatta Schultz
Ruhwedl Hunwick

Pens top four is more than fine once Schultz is back. Would be nice to have another puck mover on the bottom pair, but we'll see.

Cole is going to get overpaid in UFA and the Pens need to re-sign Hornqvist. Sullivan and Cole also apparently have a rift.

There's nothing only 'apparent' about it.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Kind of hard to pump Cole's tires when he was too good to play to protect his trade value, then they started playing him again, and now he's not playing again

Regardless of what Cole might get on next contract, doesn't smell right at all coming out of PIT regardless of possible Sullivan rift

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I heard somewhere they were talking to Buffalo about E Kane and Cole was involved with others going back. Who knows.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I heard somewhere they were talking to Buffalo about E Kane and Cole was involved with others going back. Who knows.

I doubt that for many reasons.

Cole will probably get moved either as a solo piece or in a package for a better 3rd line center than Sheahan. I actually wonder if the Penguins would use Sheahan as a trade chip in that package, Cole and Sheahan together cost a little over $4 million and you can get a good center with $4 million.

Maybe Cole (with an extension) and Sheahan to Dallas for Faksa? Dallas has issues on LD and they have multiple other 3rd line centers (Seguin, Spezza, Hanzal and Shore are all centers). Sheahan slides into the 4C spot, Hanzal or Shore is the 3C and Cole gives them a little bit of help on LD.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Okay, so after last night....it's clear Polak should not ever play again....and Gardiner should sometimes be shot out of a cannon. Lets get this Bozak/Cole deal done.

Per Mark Madden, Pittsburgh Sports Radio guy, please take it with a grain of salt because he likes to play up his "insider knowledge" of the Pens org to a maximum level... But he is usually only a shade/degree to the left or right of the truth. Said Cole's agent contacted GMJR about trading Cole to a team he could possibly get a long term extension done on. GMJR gave the agent permission to find teams that would want him and JR would see if there was a trade he was interested in from teams off of that list. But that very minimal interest was show in a trade + extension.

He is also supposed to play tonight in Buffalo, so odds are Cole will still be a Penguin for the foreseeable future. Most likely revisited come trade deadline when GM's are chomping at the bit to makes additions to try and push their team over the edge. This early in the season its safe to say that most GM's are not willing to trade what GMJR would want and are more comfortable with just seeing what they have for the time being in their own organizations or making a smaller trade and wait to make a big move closer or at the deadline.

Well, based on Eddy B's post he wants an extension so that puts the Leafs out. Cole isn't the kind of defenceman you invest long term in.
Besides, our center depth takes a huge hit all to upgrade our bottom pairing. Doubt Lou would do that.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well, based on Eddy B's post he wants an extension so that puts the Leafs out. Cole isn't the kind of defenceman you invest long term in.
Besides, our center depth takes a huge hit all to upgrade our bottom pairing. Doubt Lou would do that.
Umm, we just signed Hainsey for 3 years.....what makes you think they won't sign Cole as a Polak/Carrick replacement?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kind of hard to pump Cole's tires when he was too good to play to protect his trade value, then they started playing him again, and now he's not playing again

Regardless of what Cole might get on next contract, doesn't smell right at all coming out of PIT regardless of possible Sullivan rift

Cole's tape playing a major part in them winning two cups will speak to his value much more than the rift between Sullivan and Cole.

He's a proven winner and sometimes a coach and player simply don't get along.

What is the rift about?

Cole likes to speak his mind, especially to reporters, and it has apparently rubbed Sullivan the wrong way too often.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Umm, we just signed Hainsey for 3 years.....what makes you think they won't sign Cole as a Polak/Carrick replacement?
"Long term"
There is no sense wasting roster spots for more than a couple year on guys who won't be difference makers

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Why are flyers fans laughing at Pittsburgh ? That would be like Habs fans laughing at them

Reactions: domaug

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
3 weeks ago people on here were saying that teams were falling all over themselves trying to get the Pens to deal him to them. Can we now admit that it was either Cole's agent or the Pens front office trying to drum up business for an average bottom pairing D?

He might get them a 2nd/3rd round pick from someone, but there is no great demand for this guy.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah, Ian Cole, that guy who was a part of two Cup winners on defense? He's garbage. His good performances in the playoffs were just him sucking.

I guess if your team doesn't make the playoffs, there's no reason to watch.

Him winning a cup doesnt mean he is better than Tanev unless you also want to say Dave Bolland was a better center than Giroux, Kesler, Johnson, etc because of his cups...

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Pens fans, why is he on the outs with Sullivan?

If the consensus is that he's worth around a 2nd/3rd, I'd be confident a deal could be swung with PIT for Cole+ for Bozak.

PIT is looking for a #3C anyways and we could use a low-pairing guy to replace Carrick/Marincin.

9pts in 25 playoff games last year with 18:50 avg TOI are decent numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $150.00