GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
My guess would for Ryan Strome?

Edit: Clearly a no from EDM fans.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is actually surprising, but on the other hand, it shouldn't be. Cole has been huge for 2 straight cup runs and has been a real heart and soul, balls to the wall player for the Penguins. However, all of these are factors too:

1. Cole is a free agent after the year that's likely going to get over $3.5 million a year, some team will delude themselves into thinking he's a top-4 D.
2. Cole has been outplayed by Hunwick and Ruhwedel so far, and both of those guys are cost controlled for longer. Ruhwedel is also a RHD, so the pairs end up with 1 lefty and 1 righty. The Penguins would be fine with Hunwick, Ruhwedel and Corrado (who also looked good this year) as their #5-#7.
3. The entire team has struggled this year and they need a shakeup. Cole has been a heart and soul guy for this team for nearly 3 years, so trading him may spark the team. The team also has holes that need to be corrected.

So it makes sense when you look at it. It's the Penguins looking to move a valuable, but also expendable, pending UFA defenseman to help some other area on the roster and possibly spark the team. My guess is that he gets moved for a LW, if I had to give a position. Although I'm very curious to see if the Bozak speculation has any merit, Bozak for Cole isn't good for Toronto, but it's not terribly far off in value.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What team is in need of a #5, physical, PK defenseman that they'd give something valuable for him?

Cole's value is in the fact that:
1-He's a #5, but can slot in as a #4 with the right partner.
2-He tends to raise his game come playoff time; he's quite the playoff warrior.

The downside is he's probably best utilized as a #5, and he's a UFA at the end of the season.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm a Cole fan and was sad to see this thread. I would also try to get Bozak depending on what additions would need to be made.

Said every Pens fan. Cole has been a good soldier since joining the Pens, especially over the past couple seasons,. But unfortunately, this is part of remaining a competitive team.

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'd guess again.

So who are your centers anyways? Is Draisaitl a C or not? I feel like I read about Draisaitl being a C, which you would think would put RNH in that #3 role. But apparently that's Strome. Is Draisaitl a winger now?

We'll guess again as soon as we can figure out what is happening in Edmonton. :P

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ian Cole has been a healthy scratch for the past three games because the Penguins are actively trying to trade him, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Monday.

Cole has a salary-cap hit of $2.1 million this season. Expectations are that number will more than double on his next contract, meaning Cole will become too expensive for the Penguins.

It does not appear the desire to trade Cole has anything to do with his play. It’s more a function of him being an attractive option to other teams, and, according to a source, interest in him has already been several teams deep.

In trading Cole, the Penguins are likely looking to supplement their depth scoring, the biggest part of their game that has not matched what they had the past two seasons while winning a Stanley Cup.

The Penguins acquired Riley Sheahan on Oct. 21. Sheahan even has points in five of his past six games (five total), but he likely profiles more as a fourth-line center than a third-line type.

If they do trade Cole, chances are it would be for someone to address their need for depth scoring.

Some quotes from the article. Sounds like teams may view him as a top-4 caliber D. The fact that Mackey is saying Cole is expected to more than double his salary gives me that thought. He might actually bring back a really good return here, it sounds like the perfect scenario for a dumb team to overpay for a "cup winner".

Damn, I wonder if Cole for Bozak is actually going to happen. It makes a lot of sense if teams view him as a top-4 D.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So who are your centers anyways? Is Draisaitl a C or not? I feel like I read about Draisaitl being a C, which you would think would put RNH in that #3 role. But apparently that's Strome. Is Draisaitl a winger now?

We'll guess again as soon as we can figure out what is happening in Edmonton. :P

Draisaitl takes more draws then McDavid and generally plays as his winger. McD is atrocious in the circle. For the time being it's McD, Nuge and Strome.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bozak for Cole+pick
Cole for Letestu
Cole for Strome
Cole for Plekanec @50%

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I'm not an EDM fan so sticking your tongue at me doesn't hurt my feelings or do anything to change the fact that PITT isn't getting Strome for Cole, but feel free to have dreams my man.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Tagz

Nov 17, 2017
niger
[/QUOT

What about something along the lines of David Desh and holden for cole they replace the gap and fill their need for center?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Lays

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Bozak for Cole+pick
Cole for Letestu
Cole for Strome
Cole for Plekanec @50%

Maybe. It's certainly a lot more realistic. Both players would likely be shopped at the deadline by Edmonton. Does Cole get a better return is the question. I don't know. It's close. Strome is a pipe dream. Chiarelli has a heck of a lot riding on Strome and the last few weeks he's been turning it around in the 3rd center role. Why move that now for a rental defenceman who doesn't suit a need?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad