GDT: Pens @ Oil. | SNET 360

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I know we're all dejected and starting to collectively collapse over this season, but it struck me this morning that this team is virtually the SAME TEAM that made so much noise in the playoffs last year. Basically, minus Sekera and subbing Strome, Jokinen and Yams for Eberle, Poo and Desharnais.

So I really want to crap all over Chia and Todd for this miserable start, but from where I sit they had every reason to expect that with internal growth, they were at least 95% as good as last year, and that the mid-season addition of Sekera would vault them into playoff position. The team just hasn't delivered. I really think it's that simple.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I know we're all dejected and starting to collectively collapse over this season, but it struck me this morning that this team is virtually the SAME TEAM that made so much noise in the playoffs last year. Basically, minus Sekera and subbing Strome, Jokinen and Yams for Eberle, Poo and Desharnais.

So I really want to crap all over Chia and Todd for this miserable start, but from where I sit they had every reason to expect that with internal growth, they were at least 95% as good as last year, and that the mid-season addition of Sekera would vault them into playoff position. The team just hasn't delivered. I really think it's that simple.

Yep, pretty much.

It won't stop fans from throwing out a billion scenarios and proposals on how to improve the bottom pairing or scoring depth among the bottom 2 lines, but it really doesn't matter much if our #1 dman (Klef) continues to play like our worst dman on the team, and our goaltending continues to rock a sub-.910 save percentage.

Every little bit helps, but it amounts to fool's gold if the other team's best players keep outperforming the best players for the Oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep, pretty much.

It won't stop fans from throwing out a billion scenarios and proposals on how to improve the bottom pairing or scoring depth among the bottom 2 lines, but it really doesn't matter much if our #1 dman (Klef) continues to play like our worst dman on the team, and our goaltending continues to rock a sub-.910 save percentage.

Every little bit helps, but it amounts to fool's gold if the other team's best players keep outperforming the best players for the Oilers.
A lot went right for the Oilers last season and it was foolish of management to assume that trend would continue without some help.

Reactions: DaGap

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A lot went right for the Oilers last season and it was foolish of management to assume that trend would continue without some help.

Yeah I know when things are going great I try to change everything as much possible...

If your post was being sarcastic I apologize. If your serious, I hope your not in management. Although in my experience management typically tries to reinvent the wheel as often as possible to justify their position and waste everyone's time and money.

The Oilers have zero cap room next year to make the changes you suggest. And if you say next year... Please think about how many good to great players are actually available on one year deals. Or available period. Good to great players generally get kept by their teams.

Reactions: Night Witch

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah I know when things are going great I try to change everything as much possible...

If your post was being sarcastic I apologize. If your serious, I hope your not in management. Although in my experience management typically tries to reinvent the wheel as often as possible to justify their position and waste everyone's time and money.

The Oilers have zero cap room next year to make the changes you suggest. And if you say next year... Please think about how many good to great players are actually available on one year deals. Or available period. Good to great players generally get kept by their teams.

But we have cap space this year, so that makes the Eberle trade even more puzzling. We traded a 50+ point player for a 30 point player who offers really nothing that the Oilers need. There was no need to downgrade in the off-season and right now the only player on the entire Oilers roster that looks better than last year is Nurse. Teams are gunning for them and not looking past them like they used to. They got a number of career years out of players and right now the Oilers offensive ability is pitiful. If the McDavid line doesn't score at least twice the Oilers lose because while the second line might chip in a goal, the bottom 6 will not score. Period. The Oilers are pretty bad in basically every facet of the game this year and they simply don't have the depth to overcome such slumps by the team.

Frequently during the summer I harped on the point that the Oilers didn't plug any of the holes in the roster (and in fact made one in a trade) and people kept telling me "Oh, well the Blues/Preds/Ducks all have injury issues too so they'll struggle..." Well guess what, they aren't. And I've been told "They're only 5 points out of a playoff spot!" yeah well if they don't pick up any points today it'll be more than that.

30th place 12.5% into the season is simply not acceptable for this team. Blame it on bad luck, shooting percentages, scoring chances, blah blah blah... This team isn't good enough and is frequently getting outworked and outskated. The former is at least something that can be rectified, but when the majority of your roster is slow, it's not so easy to fix the speed problem.

Simply put, Chia made the roster worse in the offseason and now the team is worse.

Reactions: DaGap and Weitz

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010

I agree. This team has a weird romanticism with Eberle. He was nothing special last year. The additions on offense makes up for the subtractions. The only issue is Sekera being injured but it puts the team in a difficult situation. If we were to pick up a top four it would create difficulty down the road. Frankly I see why they thought the group would be able to handle it. Our defensive problem has been more the top guys not playing to their level. Nurse has played well enough to cover for Sekera for the time being.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
But we have cap space this year, so that makes the Eberle trade even more puzzling. We traded a 50+ point player for a 30 point player who offers really nothing that the Oilers need. There was no need to downgrade in the off-season and right now the only player on the entire Oilers roster that looks better than last year is Nurse. Teams are gunning for them and not looking past them like they used to. They got a number of career years out of players and right now the Oilers offensive ability is pitiful. If the McDavid line doesn't score at least twice the Oilers lose because while the second line might chip in a goal, the bottom 6 will not score. Period. The Oilers are pretty bad in basically every facet of the game this year and they simply don't have the depth to overcome such slumps by the team.

Frequently during the summer I harped on the point that the Oilers didn't plug any of the holes in the roster (and in fact made one in a trade) and people kept telling me "Oh, well the Blues/Preds/Ducks all have injury issues too so they'll struggle..." Well guess what, they aren't. And I've been told "They're only 5 points out of a playoff spot!" yeah well if they don't pick up any points today it'll be more than that.

30th place 12.5% into the season is simply not acceptable for this team. Blame it on bad luck, shooting percentages, scoring chances, blah blah blah... This team isn't good enough and is frequently getting outworked and outskated. The former is at least something that can be rectified, but when the majority of your roster is slow, it's not so easy to fix the speed problem.

Simply put, Chia made the roster worse in the offseason and now the team is worse.

I liked Eberles play last year during the regular season. He has his weaknesses but overall helped the team IMO. His play in the playoffs was awful but also not as bad as some made out. The trade for Strome was Chiarelli being proactive for the cap and maximising the return. However hard that is to accept right now. Chiarelli could not put the Oilers too far back in their cap management and the deal in terms of cap/resource terms is a good deal. Eberle, while helpful last year, was clearly struggling and not gelling well with the team. Eberle himself is quoted as saying he needed a fresh start post trade many many times. I am happy for him but the move to trade him was absolutely necessary.

They had more players with down years than those with career years if I remember correctly. Including Eberle, RNH, Lucic, and Pouliot.

The secondary scoring will score. Its the nature of secondary scoring to be somewhat streaky. Will it score as much as we want? Hopefully. But also remember we are paying guys like McDavid and Leon far more money than they should be getting to offset the lack of secondary scoring. you can get 4 good players for the same amount of money we are spending on just 2.

The Oilers are not bad at every aspect and have good depth as a generalization in the organization. A weak RW and missing Sekera hurts but is normal for most teams to deal with.

6 of the top 10 teams from last year are outside the playoffs this year. The Oilers are not unique in their issues.

They are outshooting their opponents at a very high rate among other things and are not really getting outworked out skated. The speed issue is overblown and would have been more apparent last year as well if true. Eberle is not a speedster and our faster players are the secondary scorers you are crapping on: Cagullia, Slepyshev, Kassian... So saying speed is an issue and secondary scoring is incredibly contradictory.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I agree. This team has a weird romanticism with Eberle. He was nothing special last year. The additions on offense makes up for the subtractions. The only issue is Sekera being injured but it puts the team in a difficult situation. If we were to pick up a top four it would create difficulty down the road. Frankly I see why they thought the group would be able to handle it. Our defensive problem has been more the top guys not playing to their level. Nurse has played well enough to cover for Sekera for the time being.
Additions make up for the subtractions? How exactly? You took off a player who at worse would put up 40+ points and you replaced him with 2 guys the GM is actively trying to trade 10 games into their careers with the Oilers. I wanted Eberle gone last year just as much as anyone but only if it was for a positive asset (strome isn't at this point and it doesn't look like he ever will be) or through a signing of a player who could at the very least put up similar production. Chia failed on both fronts. Take a look at Vanek he could have been a very decent option for a low cost and on a 1 yr term and Chia didn't even talk to the guy. Vanek put up 48 points last year making 1 million dollars and signed for another cheap deal and he would have and most likely will with Vancouver put up comparable numbers to what you'd expect if Eberle was still in the lineup. At least I could have respected Chias move to address what he was trading out but he didn't even look at the guy and if Eberle was traded because of caphit and term than getting Vanek for a bargain should have been a no brainer.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What additions? We have less offense than the Coyotes. I keep hearing "addition by subtraction" when it comes to this trade but the only thing the Oilers have added this year are Ls.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Additions make up for the subtractions? How exactly? You took off a player who at worse would put up 40+ points and you replaced him with 2 guys the GM is actively trying to trade 10 games into their careers with the Oilers. I wanted Eberle gone last year just as much as anyone but only if it was for a positive asset (strome isn't at this point and it doesn't look like he ever will be) or through a signing of a player who could at the very least put up similar production. Chia failed on both fronts. Take a look at Vanek he could have been a very decent option for a low cost and on a 1 yr term and Chia didn't even talk to the guy. Vanek put up 48 points last year making 1 million dollars and signed for another cheap deal and he would have and most likely will with Vancouver put up comparable numbers to what you'd expect if Eberle was still in the lineup. At least I could have respected Chias move to address what he was trading out but he didn't even look at the guy and if Eberle was traded because of caphit and term than getting Vanek for a bargain should have been a no brainer.

Eberle was also traded because he was a shell of the player he was. Lucic put up the same amounts of points. Eberle was a defencive liability and played smaller than he was. He lost his scoring touch and floated way to much. If you think a GM would trade two players recently acquired unless they asked for it would be a problem .

What additions? We have less offense than the Coyotes. I keep hearing "addition by subtraction" when it comes to this trade but the only thing the Oilers have added this year are Ls.

If you think eberle would be the difference than you and i watched a different player last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As per 3 pages of a PGT on gameday anybody sense a general lack of anticipation about games now? Its like any buzz has evaporated. We're playing the Pitts Pens, two time SC champs at home and its like Carolina canes board thread in here.

Its kind of bizarre but a game of this profile would typically be in a dozen pages by now. Especially considering how vital this game is. I kind of wonder if the team and the fanbase are kind of bored or if so many have turned the page. Maybe its the board changeover but is this place ever dead.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Oilers win 9-1. Shots are 54-14 for Pens. McDavid with seven points. Puck luck will regress to the mean.

Reactions: oljimmy

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you think eberle would be the difference than you and i watched a different player last year.

No but I don't think downgrading the team in the offseason was the best idea either. It's pretty funny to hear people bash Eberle for his playoff performance (and rightfully so I might add) while Kassian, Slepsyhev and Cagguila have combined for one paltry assist.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pens have won every game this year after they have allowed 5+ goals the previous ones.

I don't know the score but I predict an Oilers loss. A losers point isn't out of the realm of possibility though.

It's amazing that that stat has any meaning whatsoever this early in the season. But in the Pens' case it does. Strange times.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton

Virtually same team missing

1. a Bona fide top 6 talent from last season
2. Their 2nd best defenseman
3. Pouliot who played considerably better than JJ thus far even at his worst last season (though I don't miss the O zone penalties)
4. Literally any upside Lucic actually brought to the team.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
McDavid just needs to get a couple points tonight and he's back on pace for 100 season again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad