Rumor: Pens contemplating "major trade" to shake up team

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they want to do that, they gotta trade one of their key guys that would upset fans in losing that specific player and for a player that would also bring in a splash for the team.

Right now I'm talking trade for one of: Evander Kane, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Patrick Maroon, or Mike Green.
And trade one of the following: Phil Kessel, Brian Dumoulin, Tristan Jarry, or Olli Maatta.

Proposals I'd imagine are possible:

Pittsburgh:
Patrick Maroon

Edmonton:
Tristan Jarry
conditional 3rd
conditional 6th

Pittsburgh:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Sprong

Pittsburgh:
Evander Kane

Buffalo:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta
1st

Pens overpay in every scenario.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Proposals I'd imagine are possible:

Pittsburgh:
Patrick Maroon

Edmonton:
Tristan Jarry
conditional 3rd
conditional 6th

I struggle to see Pittsburgh moving a top prospect who's excelling at the NHL for a rental.

Pittsburgh:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Sprong

Pittsburgh:
Evander Kane

Buffalo:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta
1st

The Kane one will never ever happen. When was the last time a young 3-4D who's locked up long term on a good/great contract gets moved for a rental? Let alone adding a 1st to it. This is completely wacked - it just doesn't happen.

As for the OEL one... Kessel's extremely restrictive NTC would make it a non-starter. He gets to block 22 teams. He wasn't willing to waive it last time around... why would it waive it this time - especially to get traded to one of the worst teams in the league, that's been surrounded by uncertainty regarding where they'll be playing for close to a decade?

If Pittsburgh was going to acquire OEL, it would be something along the lines of Maatta/Dumoulin, Jarry, 18 1st - and maybe more (Sprong, 2019 1st, etc). That's a deal that might make sense to both parties if ARI doesn't think they can extend OEL. But moving Kessel for him - even if he'd go there (which is extremely unlikely) is going to be a non-starter.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
it all depends on whether the Pens are looking to trade to change the teams style and dynamics (unlikely), fill a percieved hole (like at bottom 6 C), upgrade an position with a star, bring in equivalent talent just to add new blood, or find a player the team can rally around...

I don't think they are looking to sell ufas or cap dump yet... unless they don't think the team is capable of making a true run again...

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If the rumors are true that Sullivan isn't the biggest fan of Kessel could he be the one that gets traded ? His value will never be higher than it is now .

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
like a major player out or a major player in? because i dont see crosby/malkin going anywhere. any major player they could trade is kessel. unless theyre trading futures for a "major" pickup.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Honestly, Kessel should not be moved. It shouldn't even be a thought. Without Kessel, there is no way Pens could have won a Stanley Cup, let alone two.

As much as I hate to say it, but if the Pens want a major shake up, the person who goes should be Letang. He is dynamic, but if the Pens were able to win a Cup without him once, it is possible to do it again.

By trading Letang, the Pens should be able to receive a center or a winger capable of scoring goals. And as it stands, the Pens seriously need help scoring goals.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
My guess it is Letang on the way out, if there is a big move to be made. He has a list of 18 teams he can be traded to. And besides, Pittsburgh can always move him to Montreal for Galchenyuk or Pacioretty so Letang can keep doing his regular gig for TVA and Montreal can move Weber for a better center.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If the rumors are true that Sullivan isn't the biggest fan of Kessel could he be the one that gets traded ? His value will never be higher than it is now .
After his two playoff runs that would asinine. I would think Rutherford would change coaches before doing that. Pittsburgh can't lose that dimension.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
b2b cups, and now 30games in the season teams need a shake up. Quite harsh I'd say?

Pens are well proven team in the aspect, that when they get it rolling (eventually they will), no one will stop that train in this league.

That said, i wouldnt mind trading Letang.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
b2b cups, and now 30games in the season teams need a shake up. Quite harsh I'd say?

Pens are well proven team in the aspect, that when they get it rolling (eventually they will), no one will stop that train in this league.

We don’t have the offensive depth we had the past 2 seasons. That’s how this team is built deep scoring. We don’t have to have the best D if we can outscore teams. 6 of our regular forwards have a combined 12 goals for the season. That’s a big problem. Without a trade or 2 we’re done.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Everyone but Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Murray should be available. I'd trade Letang and Hagelin imo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Them being 29th in the league in ES scoring says otherwise. Them currently being out of a PO spot says otherwise. Them looking like crap most nights says otherwise.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
After his two playoff runs that would asinine. I would think Rutherford would change coaches before doing that. Pittsburgh can't lose that dimension.
That's not good if the penguins stay as they are because if Rutherford doesn't shake things up with a big trade even the Habs will pass the Penguins only 3 pts behind and you know what most think of our team .

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So potentially really good, young goalie for a UFA LW? I’d give you a second for Maroon max.

No thanks, Phil isn’t available and Sprong would replace him if Phil was traded. Even though Sprong isn’t ready right now to do that and probably never be.

Lmao worse proposal ever. Expect for ones CoopsWills23 posted. Why would PIT even consider that:laugh:

Will say this right now, I try to make good proposals, and it's fair because teams will want more in trades. The Kessel one is fair because of contracts. Jarry for Maroon because Murray is Pittsburgh's new starter and Chiarelli will try and get him. Like I said, Pittsburgh has to really shake up the room here.

I also make these kinds because I want to see what others have to say in terms of these proposals going forward.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
We don’t have the offensive depth we had the past 2 seasons. That’s how this team is built deep scoring. We don’t have to have the best D if we can outscore teams. 6 of our regular forwards have a combined 12 goals for the season. That’s a big problem. Without a trade or 2 we’re done.

Big problem and being done is all relative. What they did in the past two seasons is nothing short of spectacular. With 200+ games played in two straight seasons+two draining cup runs with all the possible injuries you can think of... I know its business, and each year your team should be able to perform in highest possible level, but if we think about it - is it really realistic? There are 29 teams looking to beat the champs. The marginals are minimal in this league - Look at Edmonton, look at Ottawa. This stuff happens, even to the best teams. Then they will bounce back.

Look at Chicago from 2010-2017:
Stanley Cup
First Round exit
First Round exit
Stanley Cup
Conf final exit
Stanley Cup
First Round exit
First Round exit

There's still 49 games left this reg season, I understand the concerns in some level, but do I see a REAL need for a shakeup/panic etc? No. Proven team, proven winners. Cant win it all in this league.

I, as a fan, would completely understand this team not being in the top of the standings after 82 games. Slipping out of playoffs, yeah, that I would consider a dissapointment. But also there I'd understand that the key players are most likely exhausted and fatigued because of the the last few seasons. They have done more than enough, so one off year.. meh, no big deal.

Them being 29th in the league in ES scoring says otherwise. Them currently being out of a PO spot says otherwise. Them looking like crap most nights says otherwise.

All true, but still 49 games to go.

But as mentioned, if something really needs to be done, then trade Letang.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Will say this right now, I try to make good proposals, and it's fair because teams will want more in trades. The Kessel one is fair because of contracts. Jarry for Maroon because Murray is Pittsburgh's new starter and Chiarelli will try and get him. Like I said, Pittsburgh has to really shake up the room here.

I also make these kinds because I want to see what others have to say in terms of these proposals going forward.
We have trouble scoring, the solution is to trade our top scorer this season for a defensemen? And just because Murray is our starter doesn’t mean Jarry will get traded. Plus if Jarry is traded, he will get a lot more than Patrick Maroon as a rental :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There's still 49 games left this reg season, I understand the concerns in some level, but do I see a REAL need for a shakeup/panic etc? No. Proven team, proven winners. Cant win it all in this league.

I, as a fan, would completely understand this team not being in the top of the standings after 82 games. Slipping out of playoffs, yeah, that I would consider a dissapointment. But also there I'd understand that the key players are most likely exhausted and fatigued because of the the last few seasons. They have done more than enough, so one off year.. meh, no big deal.

What if it's not an "off year" ?

Again, it's not just their place in the standings, or the fact that they can't score. The team looks flat and overall is playing terrible hockey right now.

That said, it's really hard to "win" a Letang trade. Really really hard. It would take a very specific return, and then another trade or two just to sort out the blueline. And moves like that are very hard to do - especially in season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Jarry for Marron doesn't "really shake up the room". In fact it does very little to the room. Adds a voice sure, but lets not pretend that Maroon is some seasoned vet that demands instant respect. And Chi can try to get him all he wants... he's still not getting moved for a rental - that's asinine, and happens extremely rarely.

The Kessel to ARI is just plain bad - I'm not sure why you would even try to defend it.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I could see both Rutherford and Bergevin working out a Kessel to Montreal deal.
-Rutherford, because he gets his shake up, appeases the coach, and gets a good return.
-Bergevin, because he tries to replace Radulov in the lineup.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What would it cost to get Sheary or Hagelin on the Oilers?

Hagelin? Letestu or Maroon.

Sheary? That's tough. We need Sheary for the same reasons you need Sheary. Would probably have to be a larger package for RNH. Unless you're willing to give a good prospect with Letestu or Maroon such as Puljujarvi.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Hagelin? Letestu or Maroon.

Sheary? That's tough. We need Sheary for the same reasons you need Sheary. Would probably have to be a larger package for RNH. Unless you're willing to give a good prospect with Letestu or Maroon such as Puljujarvi.

Hagelin for Letestu or Maroon I would do.

I think a package for RNH would make more sense than giving up Pool for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad