Rumor: Pens contemplating "major trade" to shake up team

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm guessing it's probably something centered around Malkin for Karlsson. Who adds? Maybe a 3rd or 4th somewhere?

Pittsburgh isn't trading Malkin. And you really need to give your head a shake. A 3rd or 4th is completely irrelevant in a deal of that magnitude. Hell it could be a 2nd or even a 1st and it would be irrelevant.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Rutherford didn't seem very happy when discussing the team's recent play on his radio show. His big problem is with his 3rd and 4th line centers mentioning the team misses Bonino and Cullen specifically.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What are the Pens needs? Haven't watched a lot of them this year. I read ITT a 3C but that's hardly a "major trade" or a major shakeup for a team thats performing so far below the expectations.

I would have thought they would want D or something, but I must admit I don't really know.

Their top players need to play better. That's the bottom line. The team as a whole is woefully inept at ES, and the blueline is struggling to play quality hockey.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Id counter argue that:
  • Bozak vs Sheahan - Bozak is the better player, and has been every year they have both been in the NHL. The article the OP showcased specifically said Pens are looking for better C depth who can provide offense. Check and Check. The big advantage for Pit here.
  • Hagelin vs Leivo - Levio is having the better year, and last year. He is much younger and playing for 3+million less per season. I would find it pretty hard to see how someone could say Hagelin is worth more and costs 4x as much. Hags is a borderline cap dump at this point. Once again big advantage Pit here.
    • As the Pens are a cap team every year, that 3million in useless space is pretty painful.
  • Cole and Sprong are the collateral for improving at 3C, and 3W while also saving 3 million in cap space.
  • Id add a 2nd round pick in at the max from the Leafs side.

The problem is that no assets the Leafs are giving up are enough for the Penguins to justify moving Sprong. Bozak is an upgrade over Sheahan, and Leivo might be an upgrade on Hagelin (I don't buy that to be honest), but just that isn't worth giving up Sprong, let alone Cole being included too.

If it's going to be anything, I'd just want it to be based around Cole for Bozak. Maybe the Penguins add, but I don't think it would be an insane amount.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The article says they are looking for a shakeup, C depth, and to get 3 lines scoring again.

Leafs proposal:
Bozak@50% retained (2.1m x 1year)
Leivo (650k this year, 950 next year)
Fehr+Polak (2.075 this year both)

for

Sheahan (2.075 x 1year)
Hagelin@25% retained(3millionx2 years)
Sprong (.6925 in the Minors, then RFA)
Cole (2.1 million)

• Bozak and Sheahan, both deals expire this year. Cap hit wise, extra .025m added to the Penguins gets them a pretty good increase in offensive output from the C position. Bozak and Kessel can be put back together to really give the Pens 3 solid scoring lines which is what the article says they are looking for.
  • Pit loses Hagelin who is fast as hell and a good 200ft player now but cant put the scoring part together and his contract is well above his output right now. Replaced with Leivo who isnt as fast, but in limited ice time has produced much better, is cheaper, and younger.
  • Fehr is in the minors, and Polak is a#7 with frit. Leafs gain Cole who has been healthy scratched and Pit has been looking to move.
  • Cost of gaining Bozak and Leivo, while losing Hagelin is Sprong and Cole.
  • Total cap change is 4.825 going to Pit, 7.175 going to the Leafs.
    • Net cap room gain for Pit of 2.35 this year. Only deal over 1 year is Hagelin, so Pit gets out of a second year of a bad contract.

Oh look, another shit offer. What's more entertaining, is that he keeps trying to defend it.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Id counter argue that:
  • Bozak vs Sheahan - Bozak is the better player, and has been every year they have both been in the NHL. The article the OP showcased specifically said Pens are looking for better C depth who can provide offense. Check and Check. The big advantage for Pit here.
  • Hagelin vs Leivo - Levio is having the better year, and last year. He is much younger and playing for 3+million less per season. I would find it pretty hard to see how someone could say Hagelin is worth more and costs 4x as much. Hags is a borderline cap dump at this point. Once again big advantage Pit here.
    • As the Pens are a cap team every year, that 3million in useless space is pretty painful.
  • Cole and Sprong are the collateral for improving at 3C, and 3W while also saving 3 million in cap space.
  • Id add a 2nd round pick in at the max from the Leafs side.

The Pens aren't moving Sprong unless they get noticeably better. That trade is bad for the Pens' future and maybe an upgrade now. It's not worth moving Sprong in that deal.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If they want to do that, they gotta trade one of their key guys that would upset fans in losing that specific player and for a player that would also bring in a splash for the team.

Right now I'm talking trade for one of: Evander Kane, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Patrick Maroon, or Mike Green.
And trade one of the following: Phil Kessel, Brian Dumoulin, Tristan Jarry, or Olli Maatta.

Proposals I'd imagine are possible:

Pittsburgh:
Patrick Maroon

Edmonton:
Tristan Jarry
conditional 3rd
conditional 6th

Pittsburgh:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Sprong

Pittsburgh:
Evander Kane

Buffalo:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta
1st

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Pittsburgh:
Patrick Maroon

Edmonton:
Tristan Jarry
conditional 3rd
conditional 6th
So potentially really good, young goalie for a UFA LW? I’d give you a second for Maroon max.
Pittsburgh:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Sprong
No thanks, Phil isn’t available and Sprong would replace him if Phil was traded. Even though Sprong isn’t ready right now to do that and probably never be.
Pittsburgh:
Evander Kane

Buffalo:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta
1st
Lmao worse proposal ever. Expect for ones CoopsWills23 posted. Why would PIT even consider that:laugh:

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
So potentially really good, young goalie for a UFA LW? I’d give you a second for Maroon max.

No thanks, Phil isn’t available and Sprong would replace him if Phil was traded. Even though Sprong isn’t ready right now to do that and probably never be.

Lmao worse proposal ever. Expect for ones CoopsWills23 posted. Why would PIT even consider that:laugh:

i get that Phil is good and sprong is promising but it's OEL!!!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they want to do that, they gotta trade one of their key guys that would upset fans in losing that specific player and for a player that would also bring in a splash for the team.

Right now I'm talking trade for one of: Evander Kane, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Patrick Maroon, or Mike Green.
And trade one of the following: Phil Kessel, Brian Dumoulin, Tristan Jarry, or Olli Maatta.

Pittsburgh:
Patrick Maroon

Edmonton:
Tristan Jarry
conditional 3rd
conditional 6th

Pittsburgh:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Arizona:
Phil Kessel
Daniel Sprong

Pittsburgh:
Evander Kane

Buffalo:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta
1st

Do you believe those are fair trades from the Pens POV?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
i get that Phil is good and sprong is promising but it's OEL!!!

Phil is too good of a playoff performer for us to consider a trade.

We successfully won back to back cups based of a potent top 9 and a solid 4th line. We should stick to the winning formula.

OEL is still welcome but leave hotdogs alone! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad