Rumor: Pens contemplating "major trade" to shake up team

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Trading Kessel is off the table.

Hornqvist is another matter . . .

IF the goal is to do everything possible to go for the three peat, then you keep Hornqvist.

IF it is decided (and I don't think it will be, but IF it is decided) that it's as much about recharging for next year, then IMO either Patric Hornqvist is signed to an extension before the deadline or moved, because if he hits the rental market, his value is a 1st+ (I suspect he may get more in a return than Shatty got STL).

I am surprised that JR didn't re-sign Hornqvist this past summer. I was thinking that the money saved in not re-signing Kunitz would go towards Hornqvist. He is every bit as valuable now as he was when we first got him. Hopefully JR makes an exception and re-signs him during the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I am surprised that JR didn't re-sign Hornqvist this past summer. I was thinking that the money saved in not re-signing Kunitz would go towards Hornqvist. He is every bit as valuable now as he was when we first got him. Hopefully JR makes an exception and re-signs him during the season.

Well, IF he doesn't and IF he doesn't go mega shakeup, then I think you're better off dealing Hornqvist than you are in hoping to work something out over the summer.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Galchenyuk and Mete for Letang?

Who adds? I don’t watch many Pittsburgh games so I wouldn’t really know.

Whatever your thoughts are on Letang, the fact is he is a Norris caliber defensemen who is second in the league at the moment in scoring for defensemen. His trade return would be a lot more than that from the Habs. Not every team will feel that way, but the Penguins will not be dealing with every team. Only a few would be in the mix and the return *would* be a kings ransom; contrary to earlier mentions. You just do not get a defensemen on the market like him very often. I am not positive he ever will be on the market either, but if he would be it would be a lot of assets coming back.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Whatever your thoughts are on Letang, the fact is he is a Norris caliber defensemen who is second in the league at the moment in scoring for defensemen. His trade return would be a lot more than that from the Habs. Not every team will feel that way, but the Penguins will not be dealing with every team. Only a few would be in the mix and the return *would* be a kings ransom; contrary to earlier mentions. You just do not get a defensemen on the market like him very often. I am not positive he ever will be on the market either, but if he would be it would be a lot of assets coming back.

Ah ok, how about

Patches
Galchenyuk
Jarabek

For

Letang
3rd

Letang Is worth about Patches +Galchenyuk (maybe not actual skill value wise, but Chucky can’t escape the dog house and is probably valued lower due to this.) Jarabek for a third because he actually looks really good playing for the Habs.

We could swap Mete for Jarabek and the 3rd for a 2nd if you want.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Ah ok, how about

Patches
Galchenyuk
Jarabek

For

Letang
3rd

Letang Is worth about Patches +Galchenyuk (maybe not actual skill value wise, but Chucky can’t escape the dog house and is probably valued lower due to this.) Jarabek for a third because he actually looks really good playing for the Habs.

Doubt Montreal does that.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
pengu
Ah ok, how about

Patches
Galchenyuk
Jarabek

For

Letang
3rd

ins would do that because who the f*** would be on their blueline?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
so if you are not trading Malkin Crosby Letang Kessel or Murray - I wouldn't consider it a 'major shakeup'

although in the end, I dont think a major shakeup is what the Pens need lol

They are not young prospects anymore, but u are accurate if it`s used like the exact words `major` shakeup I thought Crosby or Malkin was part of a package deal. :)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR is finally contemplating doing something after he failed to address obvious needs this offseason. It’s about friggin time. Although I’m tied of these articles suggesting he’s about to make a move. Wake me up when he finally does something constructive.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Maybe, but then again both Patches and Galchenyuk look like they need a change of scenery.

You’re right, they do need a change of scenery. But trading both of them for a 30 year old defenceman making $7+ million signed for 4 more years after this and can’t stay healthy is not intriguing at all. Especially when we have a #1 RHD already. Look elsewhere.

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC
You’re right, they do need a change of scenery. But trading both of them for a 30 year old defenceman making $7+ million signed for 4 more years after this and can’t stay healthy is not intriguing at all. Especially when we have a #1 RHD already. Look elsewhere.

I still think a deal for Galchenyuk or Patches to Pitt would fit. Maybe not for Letang but somebody else on the roster, like Matta or Letang

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I still think a deal for Galchenyuk or Patches to Pitt would fit. Maybe not for Letang but somebody else on the roster, like Matta or Letang

It works for Pittsburgh. Not so much for Montreal. I have a buddy whose a big Pens fan and obviously I’m a Habs fan. We love debating about what Pittsburgh could give up for the players you brought up but there’s just nothing that intriguing that we would really want. Maybe Sprong and some really good picks? I’m not 100% sure what you have as far as draft picks. Outside of that nothing is that great outside of the untouchables. Mattaa is to slow and would add to the problems we have on our backend although he does have some good qualities and I explained why I personally wouldn’t want Letang in my previous post.

Yarborough

Mar 14, 2015
YYC
It works for Pittsburgh. Not so much for Montreal. I have a buddy whose a big Pens fan and obviously I’m a Habs fan. We love debating about what Pittsburgh could give up for the players you brought up but there’s just nothing that intriguing that we would really want. Maybe Sprong and some really good picks? I’m not 100% sure what you have as far as draft picks. Outside of that nothing is that great outside of the untouchables. Mattaa is to slow and would add to the problems we have on our backend although he does have some good qualities and I explained why I personally wouldn’t want Letang in my previous post.

Fair enough

Yea I agree, definitely not Letang but maybe someone like Letang would work.

In your opinion, who would that be?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Evgeni Malkin will only be traded if Evgeni Malkin asks to be traded. The very mention of his name is a conversation non starter with the Penguins organization.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Murray are untouchables. Not, 'I'll do it for a crap offer'. Not, 'I'll consider it for a great one'. You ask about them, and your conversation with GMJR ends.

Shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

Now, if you want to talk about anyone else, including genuine French Canadian hero Kristopher Letang, it's my understanding that is NOT a non starter with GMJR.
To claim the GM wouldnt even hear the caller out about Malkin is silly; any smart GM always considers his options

Apr 9, 2009
USA
JR is finally contemplating doing something after he failed to address obvious needs this offseason. It’s about friggin time. Although I’m tied of these articles suggesting he’s about to make a move. Wake me up when he finally does something constructive.

He won two cups in Pittsburgh. Time to wake up and see that perspective that it seems you don't have.

Reactions: Riptide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad