Rumor: Pens contemplating "major trade" to shake up team

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
1. He's already laying the groundwork to take action. This isn't 'well, I may look to explore things in a few weeks if it's not turned around'. This is 'I'm in the process of loading the gun and will be ready to pull the trigger in a little bit if necessary'. BTW, IF the Pens get smoked tonight in Vegas, IT WILL BE TOTALLY LIT.

2. Remember we were discussing all this in the Pens trade thread 24 hours BEFORE the Mackey article and you asked if my info was real? :thumbu:

I'm scared and excited at the same time...:eek::D

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What are the Pens needs? Haven't watched a lot of them this year. I read ITT a 3C but that's hardly a "major trade" or a major shakeup for a team thats performing so far below the expectations.

I would have thought they would want D or something, but I must admit I don't really know.

In order . . .

1. A 3C (but NOT a run of the mill 3C, someone higher end)

2. A winger with some jam a la old school Chris Kunitz (I think it's to play with Malkin and Kessel, because the Pens now look like they may slide Hornqvist to his off wing).

3. A high end back up goalie (affordability and availability will be issues, but Murray's injuries worry them and I'm not sure they see Jarry as ready for the playoffs if an injury struck then).

4. Defense (presumably closer to the deadline in the form of a rental, although it's also possible earlier I'd think IF a massive trade involved a defenseman going out but one not coming back in the same deal).

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Their 4 stars are 30 years old:

Crosby: 30
Malkin: 31
Letang: 30
Kessel: 30

Those guys still have some big values....in 2-3 years it will not be the case.

Thay should not do what Vancouver did with the Sedins.

If Rutherford and Lemieux have some balls , they should trade at least 2 of those 4 players by July 2018 for young guys.

If they keep those 4 players for too long, the Pens will be in big trouble in 4-5 years..

Reactions: 99664987

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

If Rutherford and Lemieux have some balls , they should trade at least 2 of those 4 players by July 2018 for young guys.

If they keep those 4 players for too long, the Pens will be in big trouble in 4-5 years..
They should trade Malkin and whoever. Crosby staying do not see them trading him they will lose fan base revenue.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They should trade Malkin and whoever. Crosby staying do not see them trading him they will lose fan base.

Evgeni Malkin will not be traded unless Evgeni Malkin FIRST asks to be traded. He's a conversation non starter to the Penguins organization.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

No.

Keeping these 4 guys for the next 3 or 4 years is what gives us the best chance of winning another Cup. You might be able to sacrifice Letang, get a good return and still win, but that's it IMO. The other three should remain until the window is closed. Once it is closed? Yeah, sure, it they want a last shot at a Cup somewhere, trade them, if not, Sid and Geno especially, should be allowed to be Pens lifers.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The Wrong Granlund for a 5th

Gudbranson for a 2nd and a 5th

Gagner for moldy cheese and a conditional 7th

Burmurstov for a 6th

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

If the pens are in trouble in 4-5 years so be it. Crosby Malkin in particular are going nowhere, they give the pens the opportunity to accomplish something special here - they're on the verge of a dynasty after winning back to back.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I could see Letang or one of the young forwards being moved...mmmmaaayyybbbeeee Kessel. Malkin and Crosby deserve and should end their career's as Penguins. Period. They have brought Pittsburgh 3 Stanley Cups in 4 trips to the SCF. They DESERVE to finish their careers there.

Reactions: Lemieuxs

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The Kings aren't trading Malkin to Chicago.

What if the Leafs traded McDavid to the Kings for a bag of pucks? Then the Kings can trade Malkin to Chicago for McDavid

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Pittsburgh couldn't afford to resign Bones for over 4 million. Why on earth would they consider bringing in Staal at 6 as a third line center?

Because he is an offensive dynamo and the Penguins are in need of offense. duh!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh couldn't afford to resign Bones for over 4 million. Why on earth would they consider bringing in Staal at 6 as a third line center?

I know this will come as a shock to you, but there's a difference between being able to afford a 4M contract and thinking a 4M contract for extended term is wise. Ergo, your question about Staal makes perfect sense.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
People talking about Malkin trades forgot he has a full NTC in nine months of the calendar year. He's only available from mid June to mid August. Do a little research on any message board or hockey blog and you'll see that's when his agent is the most active and when he's typically unhappy playing behind Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad